NFCN rivals picks

dll2000

13 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

If we're arguing the merits of drafting a QB then I don't think the possibility of him busting matters. They could have drafted a bust to fill their biggest immediate position of need and the end result is the same.

The Bears and Packers have taken almost diametrically opposite approaches to the QB position over the years and the Packers have been rewarded with far more consistent success. It's great to point to the Roquan Smith and Kyle Fuller draft victories, but Green Bay got more value out of 1 pick than the Bears have gotten out of several successful FRPs. The Bears can point to decades worth of great defenses almost completely invalidated by 2 good QBs.

So let's run an alternative history scenario, if those players don't pan out the franchise is irrelevant. I do agree you need to take risks and go for a QB, but you can't do it blindly. Rogers could have been a consensus top pick, Jordan Love does not have that pedigree. 

Cleveland has taken several QBs in the first and all have busted. I don't disagree taking shots at QB but you have to balance that with the opportunity cost of getting a playmaker who can start this season and can help you win. 

A first round project like Love is very risky considering the success they had last year. With Rogers, he was a much better prospect and the team was in overall decline. This is not the same situation with GB this time around.

2 minutes ago, CBears019 said:

That’s so frustrating.  Our GM talks about drafting a QB every year, yet he’s only drafted one.  Why not spend the occasional 4, 5, or 6th round pick on a QB?  Yeah, you’re probably not getting a Brady, but someone like a Minshew isn’t out of the question.  Someone that shows some promise that with the right coaching you can work with and develop.  

In the past several years the Bears organization has taken a very defensive approach to the QB position. It started with them being hesitant to move on from Grossman, then Cutler, and now Trubisky. It's almost as though the organization has been starved of a long-term QB for so long that they give irrational leeway to the incumbent. This includes making excuses, throwing the supporting cast and coaches under the bus, and not drafting competition.

Knowing Aaron Rodgers, he is probably really annoyed by the pick.  If I were him, I would tell the Packers to trade me.  Are there any QB-needy teams that the Packers wouldn't want him to go to where he could sign and stick it to Gutekunst? 

The Vikings took on the Brett Favre project.  Bears fans, it's your turn to step up and help an NFL player in need.  

I wonder what would happen in Green Bay if Rodgers signed with 'da Bears?  :D 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Take a year and remove all health concerns for Tua.  What is he worth?  Let’s say he balls out late in year or in pre season.

You are getting 2 first rounders, a 2nd ... on and on.  

Or you are getting a franchise QB.  

These things don’t happen in a vacuum though - the guys making the decisions here are always going to make decisions considering what’s best for them as well as the team. It has unquestionably been a huge factor in how the Bears have addressed this entire offseason with an approach geared toward us winning in 2020 without top level QB play. Long term what’s best for the team is finding a QB who will be good to great for the next 10 years. Short term they need 2020 wins though so they’re trying a measure that allows them to serve both ends. What Detroit did last night is no different.

Were Quinn/Patricia picking #3 in year 1 of their tenures I think Tua almost surely would have been the pick and a plan similar to what you laid out would have been put in motion. This same reason is why I don’t expect Hurts or Eason to be picked tonight. If Pace/Nagy don’t win in 2020 they may not see 2021 at all. (For the record I think they will but it’s not a sure thing)

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Knowing Aaron Rodgers, he is probably really annoyed by the pick.  If I were him, I would tell the Packers to trade me.  Are there any QB-needy teams that the Packers wouldn't want him to go to where he could sign and stick it to Gutekunst? 

The Vikings took on the Brett Favre project.  Bears fans, it's your turn to step up and help an NFL player in need.  

I wonder what would happen in Green Bay if Rodgers signed with 'da Bears?  :D 

c3ed5443268e98d4ed0ca9e692354f00.jpg

I could see a TON of Rodgers GB jerseys burning. lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

GB - I get the Love pick as far as developing the next guy but I wouldn’t have made it. They should be in win now mode while AR is still viable. I understand the Favre/AR parallels but Love is far from the prospect AR was IMO, plus they’re wasting the “valuable” part of having a QB on a rookie deal with him not playing. The trade up probably surprised me most though.

MIN - Jefferson can ball but at least in year 1 he’s a downgrade from Diggs. Gladney is a guy I’m high on but again I’m not sure he’s better than Waynes in year 1. They did well IMO but I was surprised they didn’t take Josh Jones seeing as how they face ours and GB’s pass rush in 25% of their games. 

DET - Okudah is the 2nd best defensive prospect in this class so I can’t knock them for the pick. I think he’s gonna be elite quickly. The lack of a trade down surprised me some, but that’s more a credit to MIA having the stones to sit pat than a dig at the Lions.

The homer in me is SUPER happy Aiyuk didn’t end up in GB or MIN. 

I'm guessing they are probably going to make a trade with the Redskins for LT Trent Williams.  The only other suitor for him was Cleveland and they took an OT in the first round so they are probably out of the market.  His price likely just went down.

12 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I'm guessing they are probably going to make a trade with the Redskins for LT Trent Williams.  The only other suitor for him was Cleveland and they took an OT in the first round so they are probably out of the market.  His price likely just went down.

Tunsil just got $22m a year from HOU.  I imagine Trent wants to be the highest paid LT.  Granted, he’s in his 30s, but i can’t imagine that helped his trade market.