3.94 - Josiah Deguara [TE; Cincinnati]

CWood21

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

Oh yeah, I was HUGE on him coming out and royally pissed we didn't draft him. He had some off-the-field issues, which pushed him down the board that year.

I didnt know anything about Travis Kelce till I spied him out and selected him to be the TE2 on my fantasy team at the time. I already had KCs Charles as my RB1 (and points bellcow....) and something happened to my TE2 that had me looking around.

This was the KC team that had WRs that could catch a cold faster than they were catching TDs - which - given that everything else was getting funneled to Charles was fine with me.......

Kelce was somewhat buried on the KC depth chart at the time - behind some pretty pedestrian TEs - but his yards per reception stood out like a sore thumb and I figured he'd start to see more action - which turned out to be right.

In any case.....I never knew where he played his college ball :)

Edited by Leader

Looking at Deguara’s measurables at both FB and TE are we really so sure he’s a mediocre/poor athlete? Above average 40, and agilities, great vert. Combine that with solid route running and savvy finding soft spots in the zone? I think we’re underrating him calling him just a “fullback”. I think he’ll play a wide variety of roles and be utilized a surprising amount in the passing game. 

Edited by Lieker

2 hours ago, Lieker said:

Looking at Deguara’s measurables at both FB and TE are we really so sure he’s a mediocre/poor athlete? Above average 40, and agilities, great vert. Combine that with solid route running and savvy finding soft spots in the zone? I think we’re underrating him calling him just a “fullback”. I think he’ll play a wide variety of roles and be utilized a surprising amount in the passing game. 

He's 100% a plus athlete. 

2 hours ago, Lieker said:

Yeah, I'm with @incognito_man, he's definitely an above average athlete for the position.  People are calling him a mediocre athlete because he ran 4.72, which is admittedly very pedestrian for 245.  However, rest of his numbers indicate a solid athlete and given his role the short area movement skills are more important anyway.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cannondale said:

That said, if MLF plans to go with 2 TE vs 3 WR, he's a guy that you need to get open. If he can be covered by an LB all year, that's gonna be a problem. Again, comes down to MLF and his creativity.

That's the advantage of having a player, or players, like Deguara and Sternberger playing on the same downs.   Really opens up MLF's creativity and offense.   Their usage will be determined by how a team chooses to matchup with them.   Play with a smaller DB, team might run more often out of a formation.  Play with a slower LB, team might utilize them more in the passing game.  All from the same looks. With Sternberger and Deguara the team can also run the same plays with the same looks in either direction.  Lewis is a great player to have but doesn't provide that same flexibility.  A team isn't forced to choose what type of player or how to guard him as you know he's not capable of breaking a big play up the seam and you can live with the occasional short first down throw to him.  The others have the potential to make you pay with a chunk play

SF killed us because our D never knew run or pass in either game as Kittle and Juszczyk are equally as capable and they burned the Smith Bros for playing undisciplined football

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PossibleCabbage said:

TE/FB isn't a stopwatch position anyway.  You're not usually going to reach top speed in a straight line just in terms of what you're asked to do.

TE correlates better to the 40 than any other position. 4.70 seriously looks like a hard cut off for the high caliber guys. Running vertically down the middle of the field is basically what separates the studs

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Not a combine invite, but at Harvard's pro day (Cincinnati did not get a pro day this year because of the 'rona) he was clocked between 4.71-4.73.

Okay.

So.....Juszcsyk is an effective player in his role - and he's not a burner.
JD's supposed to take on a similar role - is just as fast and is bigger/heavier.

Based on comparing these metrics....I dont see the issue.

28 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

SF killed us because our D never knew run or pass in either game ...

SF killed us in the NFC Championship game because they ran the ball over and over and over again and we could not stop it.

Does anyone really Pettine and the D did not know the run was coming by halftime  -- when they'd already gotten their ***** collectively handed to them?

It’s interesting watching Gute and MLF transform this team presumably into a team that is able to beat SF in the postseason.  The Last Dance really goes into how the Bulls transformed themselves into a team specifically capable of beating the Pistons in the postseason. Two separate sports obviously but interesting parallels nonetheless.  

Edited by thrILL!