The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

41 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

And Carr shouldn't settle for less. I think his top end is $40 mil a year and he should justifiably should ask for that.

selfishly, i hope he takes a bit less but some guys are suggesting that same contract he signed 4 years ago, right before the salary cap is about to explode. Carr is about to get paid, as he should. 

Just now, Geezy said:

selfishly, i hope he takes a bit less but some guys are suggesting that same contract he signed 4 years ago, right before the salary cap is about to explode. Carr is about to get paid, as he should. 

There's still 9 games to go and there's a reason that they're not discussing an extension during the season. If he balls out the rest of the season and we make the playoffs he definitely deserves to get paid but if the offense struggles down the stretch like it has over the last two seasons we may be cleaning house with a new GM/HC that may not want Carr as the QB going forward.

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

There's still 9 games to go and there's a reason that they're not discussing an extension during the season. If he balls out the rest of the season and we make the playoffs he definitely deserves to get paid but if the offense struggles down the stretch like it has over the last two seasons we may be cleaning house with a new GM/HC that may not want Carr as the QB going forward.

if he continues playing how hes playing he will command even more money. If we make the playoffs, no way he takes less than $40m, when guys like Goff are getting $36m. If we implode again, id be all for blowing this thing up and trading DC for picks, i just dont see that happening with an actual NFL caliber defense and the weapons we have on offense. 

17 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr has been playing at a consistent high level since week 1 of last year. It's not like Carr is just breaking out. He has been playing well, after breaking his back in 2017, since mid 2018. In 2019, he played well. Over the past two seasons, Carr's play hasn't faltered, the team has.

Edited by Rich7sena
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Rich7sena said:

Carr has been playing at a consistent high level since week 1 of last year. It's not like Carr is just breaking out. He has been playing well, after breaking his back in 2017, since mid 2018. In 2019, he played well. Over the past two seasons, Carr's play hasn't faltered, the team has.

yup ive been saying since Mid 2018. He didn't throw like an interception for like of the last nine games and then threw two against the chiefs the last game of the season

17 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Carr has not collapsed during the second half of the past two seasons--the team has.

It was both. When the schedule gets tougher, and the weather gets colder, Carr does indeed play worse. Falcon, Jet, and other games come to mind. When receivers don’t get open, Carr legit shuts down. However, I’ll make a note he hasn’t done that this year. For the first time since the 4th Quarters of 2016, he is trusting guys even if they only have tiny separation in Waller, Moreau, and Edwards. 

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

It was both. When the schedule gets tougher, and the weather gets colder, Carr does indeed play worse. Falcon, Jet, and other games come to mind. When receivers don’t get open, Carr legit shuts down. However, I’ll make a note he hasn’t done that this year. For the first time since the 4th Quarters of 2016, he is trusting guys even if they only have tiny separation in Waller, Moreau, and Edwards. 

"When receivers don’t get open, Carr legit shuts down." 🤔 

I think this point exemplifies how Carr somehow gets judged under an absurd standard by some in the fanbase. How are receivers not getting open Carr's fault? How do you think Agholor looked like an above average player last year? Do you think Carr was holdiong him back? Doesn't look like it.

And in the Falcons game, while Carr didn't play great, Waller, Jacobs, and the offensive line played worse. Also, it was indoors, so it doesn't fit your cold weather games narrative. He was fine in the Jets game besides missing some throws late in the fourth (381 and 3 TDs). And, HE THREW THE GAME WINNING TOUCHDOWN. Even if I were to concede Carr played badly in those two games, that still leaves six other games in the second half where he played good to great.

He also had the Chiefs and Dolphins game won before the defense blew it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

"When receivers don’t get open, Carr legit shuts down." 🤔 

I think this point exemplifies how Carr somehow gets judged under an absurd standard by some in the fanbase. How are receivers not getting open Carr's fault? How do you think Agholor looked like an above average player last year? Do you think Carr was holdiong him back? Doesn't look like it.

And in the Falcons game, while Carr didn't play great, Waller, Jacobs, and the offensive line played worse. Also, it was indoors, so it doesn't fit your cold weather games narrative. He was fine in the Jets game besides missing some throws late in the fourth (381 and 3 TDs). And, HE THREW THE GAME WINNING TOUCHDOWN. Even if I were to concede Carr played badly in those two games, that still leaves six other games in the second half where he played good to great.

He also had the Chiefs and Dolphins game won before the defense blew it.

You have to trust guys when separation isn’t there. Carr doesn’t have the ability to throw guys open like Mahomes and Rodgers, that is a skill only the elites have, but he still needs to trust his guys even when they aren’t open. This year he is finally doing that. He is not playing risk-adverse at all this year, and throwing in MUCH narrower separation. Something he should of started doing years ago. But much respect to him this year for finally doing it.

Edited by BayRaider

Just now, BayRaider said:

You have to trust guys when separation isn’t there. Carr doesn’t have the ability to throw guys open like Mahomes and Rodgers, that is a skill only the elites have, but he still needs to trust his guys even when they aren’t open. This year he is finally doing that. He is not playong risk-adverse at all this year, and throwing in MUCH narrower separation. Something he should of started doing years ago. But much respect to him this year for finally doing it.

You're saying he didn't throw Waller and Agholor open in 2020.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jraider91 said:

Brady's wife makes more than he does and it is well known he has taken off the books money for years in NE through his friends PT business he has shares in that the Pats used 

Maybe the Raiders could do the same?  Maybe we can find a way to cheat the system as well as NE has for decades?

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Just to throw the cold weather games from last year out again:

In cold weather, the second half of the year last year (CLE, NY, DEN) he threw for almost 300/game (remember the crazy wind in CLE also as it will skew those numbers), 6 TDs, 3 INTs, and the offense averaged 26.3 PPG. 

Also keep in mind that the defense was insanely terrible the second half of the season last year which didn't help anything

Edit: This isn't saying he's not done this in the past bc he has but I don't expect much when your team is essentially ****. He had no one to throw to before last year and never had a defense he could rely on to bail him out until this year. These factors are important

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

5 hours ago, Rich7sena said:

Carr has not collapsed during the second half of the past two seasons--the team has.

Lookin back his only real bad game was Atlanta last year. Other than the occasional throwing short of the sticks. He was good I thought better than 2016. 

5 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You have to trust guys when separation isn’t there. Carr doesn’t have the ability to throw guys open like Mahomes and Rodgers, that is a skill only the elites have, but he still needs to trust his guys even when they aren’t open. This year he is finally doing that. He is not playing risk-adverse at all this year, and throwing in MUCH narrower separation. Something he should of started doing years ago. But much respect to him this year for finally doing it.

Can’t throw into tight windows too much if you know you have one of the worst defenses in the league that couldn’t hold water if he threw a pick. Now he trusts his weapons and defense so he’s slinging it and having a career year. 

It’s funny that guys in here just asked for NFL caliber weapons and a mediocre defense to really get a read on Carr, not really asking too much. He has that this year and we are at the top of the conference even after losing our HC after starting 3-1.