The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Not sure how much stock people put in these things and I'd personally say Carr has been good but not great.

You also have to factor in competition the first two games. Saints are a very good defense and Carr was ballin. Carr isn’t playing on Russell Wilson level, but no one really is on that level. DC been balling and with two rookie wideouts starting. 

5 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

You also have to factor in competition the first two games. Saints are a very good defense and Carr was ballin. Carr isn’t playing on Russell Wilson level, but no one really is on that level. DC been balling and with two rookie wideouts starting. 

That's a really good point, Williams out, two rookie receivers and we probably adapted our game plan when Trent Brown went down to allow for more quick hits and less drop back passes. Carr has executed really well and is playing within the system well but I'm of the belief that he has the talent of a top QB so I do expect a little more before I talk in superlatives. 

22 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think we'll see the WR's get more involved as the season goes on. We can't forget that Ruggs/Edwards are both rookies that didn't have any OTA's or preseason reps so it's going to take them some time. Not to mention I don't think Ruggs is at 100% plus we've been really dependent on short/quick passes which can be attributed to us having a make shift OL out there the first two weeks. 

To be frank, if it works, I'm fine with it. I know some folks want bombs and 5000+ passing yards. If the offense just doesn't gel like that, but can be totally effective in another way, go for it. The Patriots certainly had success with it for a long, long time. 

Waller and Edwards are big boys and can push through guys. Ruggs can be that deep threat that gets a few looks both underneath and downfield. Agholor and Renfrow both show plenty of YAC ability. 

Last week, we absolutely crushed it exploiting the flats and shorter routes, especially against a 5+ man rush. 24 unanswered points and pretty consistent drives once we found a groove tells me that it works and makes the most out of our skills. 

I would like to see Carr hit that deep open WR more often, but I'm also cool with checkdowns and screens all day if it means consistency and few turnovers. I think the deep game evolves as reps go up (2 rookies is a big hurdle). Until then, pick your shots and focus primarily on what works. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, G said:

Yeah I heard some talking about it here and I thought WTF but seeing how much he cares and knowing his family is already taken care of for generations. I wouldn't rule it out. I wouldn't want him to retire you can see how much he really cares. Even if we drafted a QB in the 1st I think Carr tells them you trade me I retire and you get nothing so they are forced to let him compete. Carr doesn't seem like the type to take his word lightly. "I'm not ever going to play for anybody else' Family and every relationship.

2022 Bring Mack back will be my chant. LOL Keep building and see if that 'gesture' puts us over the top in 2 years.    Nah...I'm still not salty. LOL Can always fix a mistake before it's too late. 

This is why I've been so quick to defend him, for better or worse. 

Since Gannon, our QB situation has been awful. We couldn't attract anyone. We were Cleveland West. 

Carr isn't the pits, and he's shown before he can ball. I'll give that leeway if it comes with a passion for Raiders football. It's so refreshing to have someone here who doesn't just want to play football, but wants to do it as a Raider. 

Hopefully he keeps up the good work. I just wish more of our guys could be as passionate about the team. It's a nice feeling to have players who are as passionate as the fans. Gives us a reason to really cheer them on.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of interesting tidbits about today's game. 

Carr's 107 passer rating made this his 4th consecutive game with a 100+ passer rating, and it is the first time in his career he has had a 100+ passer rating for 4 consecutive games. 

We are now 12-8 when Carr passes for 300+ yards and 29-49 when he passes for less then 300 yards. 

We're also 26-18 when Carr passes for 2+ TD and 13-6 when he passes for 3+ TD. 

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

A couple of interesting tidbits about today's game. 

Carr's 107 passer rating made this his 4th consecutive game with a 100+ passer rating, and it is the first time in his career he has had a 100+ passer rating for 4 consecutive games. 

We are now 12-8 when Carr passes for 300+ yards and 29-49 when he passes for less then 300 yards. 

We're also 26-18 when Carr passes for 2+ TD and 13-6 when he passes for 3+ TD. 

So we should air it out more?

We should be more aggressive with our passing approach?

We should pass a lot more deep?

Sounds like a solid plan, but as long as we have an ultra conservative run first, play not to loose HC, playcaller we won't go there...

1 minute ago, Rolni said:

So we should air it out more?

We should be more aggressive with our passing approach?

We should pass a lot more deep?

Sounds like a solid plan, but as long as we have an ultra conservative run first, play not to loose HC, playcaller we won't go there...

We've been taking more shots deep. Carr was 9/15 on passes 10+ yards down field today and that doesn't include his 50 yard bomb to Nelly that was called back or his 40 yard bomb to Nelly that drew the PI. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

We've been taking more shots deep. Carr was 9/15 on passes 10+ yards down field today and that doesn't include his 50 yard bomb to Nelly that was called back or his 40 yard bomb to Nelly that drew the PI. 

Yeah, but is it enough?

I mean it would be nice to have real aggression...I get that that is a double edge sword, but when you have a D like ours, you have to be aggressive on O, if you really play to win IMO!

7 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Yeah, but is it enough?

I mean it would be nice to have real aggression...I get that that is a double edge sword, but when you have a D like ours, you have to be aggressive on O, if you really play to win IMO!

I think it's hard to take more deep shots when Ruggs and Edwards are both hurt. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Yeah, but is it enough?

I think you hit the nail on the head here it really is a double edged swird. In order for us to be successful our D simply has to step up, if we start playing more aggressively then the liklihood is more big plays but more miscues,  turnovers and chances for the opposing O. We simply can't rely on our D to stop anyone at the moment or create turnovers or momentum shifts for us so I think Gruden is being more conservative as a result, he's dreading turning the ball over and giving teams a short field it seems. If our D can step up at all we may see some more aggression in the offence but I fear the injuries have made Gruden and possibly Carr more conservative than they'd like to be.

14 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I think you hit the nail on the head here it really is a double edged swird. In order for us to be successful our D simply has to step up, if we start playing more aggressively then the liklihood is more big plays but more miscues,  turnovers and chances for the opposing O. We simply can't rely on our D to stop anyone at the moment or create turnovers or momentum shifts for us so I think Gruden is being more conservative as a result, he's dreading turning the ball over and giving teams a short field it seems. If our D can step up at all we may see some more aggression in the offence but I fear the injuries have made Gruden and possibly Carr more conservative than they'd like to be.

Which is fine but it also doesn't make sense how often we've settled for 3 the last two weeks knowing that our defense can't stop anyone. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Which is fine but it also doesn't make sense how often we've settled for 3 the last two weeks knowing that our defense can't stop anyone. 

True, that's a good point but its like Gruden wont risk going for 6 or nothing as he doesn't think the D can hold if we get 0 and give the ball back so IMO he's thinking we got to get every point we can when we get a chance, if you know what I mean. Its the safe call but can be counterproductive when you need a momentum change, sometimes we'll get zero and it'll cost us but its like he doesn't have the confidence to go for it. I can kind of of understand as our top 3 WRs are out and missing Brown and Incognito but we get to a point in matches where we need that impetus and momentum swing.

Gruden is conservative. We are trying to find excuses to why but he just is. He has conservative assistants. The young and upcoming guy he had he threw away for an 80 year old coach that has shown regression across the whole dline. Guenther runs one of the most conservative defensive schemes in the league. How many times did we keep trying to run inside? How many screens did we throw? How much misdirection? This coaching staff makes it like pulling teeth in everything we do. Another reason I think injuries pile up to. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rolni said:

Yeah, but is it enough?

Doesn't matter how aggressive our offense is.  Defense is going to give up points.  Defense isn't aggressive at all.  Our blitzes are stupid.  I'm excited when we keep them to FGs.  Our defense is such crap.