The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair to Olsen he's taken over playcalling on offense without Ruggs then lost Waller, had Jacobs hobbled and lost Drake and Ingold. He's hardly had a trove of riches and failed to take advantage. Not that I think he's the answer but I guess I'm the only one that thinks he's doing OK with what he's got, the first couple games he took over I thought we looked OK. The Dallas game was great considering we lost Waller early and they are a very good team plus a couple games like the Broncos just gone he's adjusted at the half and ran it down their throats. I don't think he's that bad given what he's working with.

All valid points. But I feel like that's more of a reason to keep Rich then to keep Greg Olsen. 

But I will say with Alton as he's run a lot more play action was for something I wanted to see more of. But at the same time, I feel like he has zero understanding of like game flow

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

To be fair to Olsen he's taken over playcalling on offense without Ruggs then lost Waller, had Jacobs hobbled and lost Drake and Ingold. He's hardly had a trove of riches and failed to take advantage. Not that I think he's the answer but I guess I'm the only one that thinks he's doing OK with what he's got, the first couple games he took over I thought we looked OK. The Dallas game was great considering we lost Waller early and they are a very good team plus a couple games like the Broncos just gone he's adjusted at the half and ran it down their throats. I don't think he's that bad given what he's working with.

Naw. We got enough talent to score more 16 pts. Olson hasn't even done ok job imo. If David mills Chris Conley and rex burkhead can score 41 points, its really no reason we cant put up 20, especially in the last few games where we had quite a few possessions. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darbsk said:

He’s doing okay. I’m harsh on him at times. Everyone looks worse with bad execution.

4 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Naw. We got enough talent to score more 16 pts. Olson hasn't even done ok job imo. If David mills Chris Conley and rex burkhead can score 41 points, its really no reason we cant put up 20, especially in the last few games where we had quite a few possessions. 

I think that's more down to execution and mistakes rather than play calling. I just think he gets a lot of flak and it may well be deserved but he's been dealt a pretty tough hand to play with post Gruden/Ruggs plus with the injuries.

The actual play calling I think has been fine (we're never fully satisfied of course with the benefit of hindsight). I really liked the adjustments in the Broncos game, thought he was near perfect calling the Cowboys game and the two wins after Gruden were good plus has incorporated more playaction and screens which is something I wanted. I also thought he did a decent job protecting Carr when he was a rookie. That's not to say we can't upgrade however, just that I think he gets too much flak.

9 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe, but I guarantee those calls would look 10x better if the line could just block for once.

Meh. It's easy to give cop outs but I don't think Olson's play calling has been great. The Browns game is the perfect example. We were winning to start the 4th quarter and decided to go max protection, deep shot to Zay Jones on 1st down. Later in the 4th quarter down 13-14, we tried another deep shot to Zay Jones which resulted in an interception and almost cost us the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Time to bring this thread back. Vague reports are coming out, Carr and Davis are going to have to mutually agree on whether he comes back. Which is about as common sense as you get. He's got 1 year left, proven he's a good QB worthy of an extension, but commands trade value especially considering there's no quality QBs available this off-season. However he's going to have to approve of our new HC or he's out. IMO, we're a playoff team, 10 wins, i'd rather not start over at QB just yet. Hope he stays. 

7 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Time to bring this thread back. Vague reports are coming out, Carr and Davis are going to have to mutually agree on whether he comes back. Which is about as common sense as you get. He's got 1 year left, proven he's a good QB worthy of an extension, but commands trade value especially considering there's no quality QBs available this off-season. However he's going to have to approve of our new HC or he's out. IMO, we're a playoff team, 10 wins, i'd rather not start over at QB just yet. Hope he stays. 

Is there a report on this? Not his lane to approve the coach. I agree he's done enough to get an extension and would like to see him return but you gotta follow the proper order. You get the GM/Coach first and then worry about personnel 

16 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Lololol carr has proven he can’t help our offense get more than 20 points consistently 

47 minutes ago, Dodo said:

Is there a report on this? Not his lane to approve the coach. I agree he's done enough to get an extension and would like to see him return but you gotta follow the proper order. You get the GM/Coach first and then worry about personnel 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nfl.com/_amp/derek-carr-s-future-with-raiders-likely-tied-to-hc-hire

https://www.raidersbeat.com/report-raiders-and-derek-carr-moving-toward-a-mutual-decision-in-the-offseason/

49 minutes ago, Dodo said:

I don't see it as he's approving the coach. I see it as, if the team goes a direction he doesn't like he'll tell.them he's not signing an extension. And at that point the teams best interest may be to trade him. 

46 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lololol carr has proven he can’t help our offense get more than 20 points consistently 

Do you fault Carr for the Jackson or Moreau drop? Or the constant Redzone penalties?

that said, give me Harbaugh. If he wants to move on, I’m on board. Carr is borderline top 10 IMO, good enough to win it all if you have a great team. 
we do not have a great team( and if Harbaugh thinks he can find an elite qb let’s go

Don’t get me wrong, Carrs fumbles are a biggggg problem, but to me what pisses me off the most,

how do you not audible out of a play cal with waller and renfrow running 3 yard routes with the game on the line. 

I hate the play calls, but Carr wake up, be a 8 year vet and call something better at the line.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I don't see it as he's approving the coach. I see it as, if the team goes a direction he doesn't like he'll tell.them he's not signing an extension. And at that point the teams best interest may be to trade him. 

From reading the links it's speculation about things we already know. There could be a scenario where a new hire displeases Carr and he wants to go elsewhere. But that doesn't require a report by Ian nor should it change Davis' approach to the search