The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

3 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

At this point with the allegations, it seems like there will be a resolution for the criminal part. The NFL suspension is a good argument from you. There’s definitely risks on both sides

Yeah I don't think that Watson will get into legal trouble but the reality of the situation is that he's one of the 5 best players at the most important position in sports and no one was willing to take the risk to trade for him.

2 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Not to $40 million a year. And, I doubt Cousins goes for more than the $35 million a year he signed for.

He's just saying that they signed those extensions in different markets with a lower salary cap. Tannehill got $29.5M and Kirk got $33M two years ago. The salary cap was $182M at that point and is projected to be around $210M next season, that's a 15% increase so any new extensions will reflect that.

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

It makes a lot of sense. Paying QB 35+ million large deal will leave less room for re-signing players and filling holes. 

Unless that player can over compensate for those holes in the roster, you’re stuck mid land again for the foreseeable future. The super bowl winners since the rookie scale has been Affect has shown team either win with a HOF caliber QB or a QB on a rookie scale

I don't think it does in this light: we just went to the playoffs for the first time in 6years. This is not the best time to pull the plug and start over. It's giving up. We were 5-2 and looking to be one of the better teams in the league until we lost our offensive play caller and everything else that went wrong. You have assumptions about Carr you're assuming are infallible. I have assumptions that an elite coach can come in and put us over the top. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, NickButera said:

I don't think it does in this light: we just went to the playoffs for the first time in 6years. This is not the best time to pull the plug and start over. It's giving up. We were 5-2 and looking to be one of the better teams in the league until we lost our offensive play caller and everything else that went wrong. You have assumptions about Carr you're assuming are infallible. I have assumptions that an elite coach can come in and put us over the top. 

Yeah the team doesn't need to rebuilt, just retooled. We have some pieces in place but we have to sure up a few areas. And with Carr everyone has always said that he needs to be in a perfect situation to thrive but we had the 28th ranked run game, limited weapons in the pass game, one of the worst OL in the NFL, and the 26th ranked scoring defense but he somehow managed to be top 5 in yards and led us to the playoffs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

He's just saying that they signed those extensions in different markets with a lower salary cap. Tannehill got $29.5M and Kirk got $33M two years ago. The salary cap was $182M at that point and is projected to be around $210M next season, that's a 15% increase so any new extensions will reflect that.

Not necessarily. Carr does not have the leverage that Cousins had when he was a free agent. He's under contract for $20 million next year. The Raiders can always not extend him, or trade him. And, Carr also doesn't have negotiating leverage based on statistics. His statistics lag behind his closest comparable. Obviously, he will argue, rightly, that his numbers have been suppressed by surrounding talent. But, it's harder to negotiate based on hypotheticals.

If the Raiders wanted to extend him now, I suspect the number will be around $31-32 million, not $40 million.

3 hours ago, NickButera said:

That's a pretty illogical tweet. What's harder, 1) build a strong supporting cast, or 2) add a first round pick and start over from scratch, trying find a QB who has potential to be top 10, develop him, hope he pans out, AND build a supporting cast 

He's pretty much saying,"hey we won ten games and made the playoffs but all hope is doomed and it's going to take years to win in the playoffs so might as well start over" 

I just don't get these takes. Makes no sense to me

Sounds like a bunch of guys in this forum. 

16 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Not necessarily. Carr does not have the leverage that Cousins had when he was a free agent. He's under contract for $20 million next year. The Raiders can always not extend him, or trade him. And, Carr also doesn't have negotiating leverage based on statistics. His statistics lag behind his closest comparable. Obviously, he will argue, rightly, that his numbers have been suppressed by surrounding talent. But, it's harder to negotiate based on hypotheticals.

If the Raiders wanted to extend him now, I suspect the number will be around $31-32 million, not $40 million.

Carr definitely has leverage, he can hold out next season without an extension. The Vikings gave Cousins an extension when he was going into the last year of his deal, they could've decided to trade him or let him walk in free agency as well. Carr just set the single season franchise record for passing yards and over the last two years has almost 9,000 passing yards/50 TD. Ryan Tannehill's passing numbers were on par with Carr and he got $30M.

But I do agree that he will probably get around $30-32M. Carr is who he is at this stage of his career and there's not really much he could do next season to significantly raise his value.

Edited by NYRaider

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah the team doesn't need to rebuilt, just retooled. We have some pieces in place but we have to sure up a few areas. And with Carr everyone has always said that he needs to be in a perfect situation to thrive but we had the 28th ranked run game, limited weapons in the pass game, one of the worst OL in the NFL, and the 26th ranked scoring defense but he somehow managed to be top 5 in yards and led us to the playoffs. 

I agree. I see all the faults he has that everyone points out and agree. But it's my opinion that we should see how far we can get with him. There's still lots of blatant holes to fill, such as the ones you pointed out, rather than tossing aside a top 12-13 QB in hopes we may find a top 6 QB. And in the process most likely suck again for a while.  I truly hope the new coaching staff keeps our core intact and builds for next year to make a deeper run. 

5 hours ago, NickButera said:

This is the challenge with the NFL, contracts don’t allow you to bring it back and try again. Jacobs, Renfrow , Waller, Crosby are all due deals with the next 1-2 seasons. We resign Carr and we’ll lose at least 2 of the those players. Remember what happened with Mack? We couldn’t pay him due to allocation on the QB and the OL

8 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

At least you inadvertently admit what you said is completely moronic and has no substance to back it up. Just making people aware in case anyone still takes what you say seriously

Only in your world man lol 

Actual question since you were there

When you were at the game do you see carr talking to the oline on the sideline?

On 4/25/2020 at 6:16 PM, BayRaider said:

Back to the QB Thread, 

Carr/Mariota have been discussed but it looks like Peterman is our QB3 this year. I always thought he was a way better option than Glennon last year and he looked phenomenal in Training Camp and Pre Season. Was a big fan of Peterman coming out of college. 

Obviously I hope Peterman never starts, but I am curious how he would look in a regular season game with the Raiders and Gruden, and if he has overcome his mental issues from the Bills.  

I don't see a ton of value in carrying 3 

11 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Only in your world man lol 

Actual question since you were there

When you were at the game do you see carr talking to the oline on the sideline?

I watched the game, not the sidelines. It doesn't matter bc you think bc someone does something one time over their 8 year career, that they do it often. That's corny. 

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

But I do agree that he will probably get around $30-32M. Carr is who he is at this stage of his career and there's not really much he could do next season to significantly raise his value.

Carr can make significantly more money if he choses not to extend. The Raiders can add weapons on offense, which would increase his passing numbers and give him more negotiating power going into 2023. Plus, he won't be under contract.

10 minutes ago, Rich7sena said:

Carr can make significantly more money if he choses not to extend. The Raiders can add weapons on offense, which would increase his passing numbers and give him more negotiating power going into 2023. Plus, he won't be under contract.

Or he could suffer a serious injury and lose $120-$130M+ at the very end of his career.