The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

3 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Why tf is Matt Ryan making 48mill? Lol

Back loading and/or restructuring contracts.  That is why it drives me nuts when people want to create cap room out of thin air.  It is the same mentality that 18 year olds have with credit cards.  Instant gratification.  The worst part is they are going to pay him $48 this year and next year when they can get out of the contract they are still going to lose $15 in cap space.  So they are really paying him $40 million not to play, $64 million for 1 year, or $92 million for 2 years.

12 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Back loading and/or restructuring contracts.  That is why it drives me nuts when people want to create cap room out of thin air.  It is the same mentality that 18 year olds have with credit cards.  Instant gratification.  The worst part is they are going to pay him $48 this year and next year when they can get out of the contract they are still going to lose $15 in cap space.  So they are really paying him $40 million not to play, $64 million for 1 year, or $92 million for 2 years.

That’s crazy 

• Like 1

Wonder if Denver's acquisition of Wilson changes our approach to what to do with Carr. Paying Carr signals a win now approach imo. Thats obviously going to be tough with 3 elite QBs in our division. Our roster is probably the worst talent wise in the division as it stands now.

Me personally, im not paying Carr top dollar to be the 4th best QB in his own division. 

10 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Wonder if Denver's acquisition of Wilson changes our approach to what to do with Carr. Paying Carr signals a win now approach imo. Thats obviously going to be tough with 3 elite QBs in our division. Our roster is probably the worst talent wise in the division as it stands now.

Me personally, im not paying Carr top dollar to be the 4th best QB in his own division. 

I don't think it changes it in the least and that if the front office changes their strategy based off of a trade another team makes that is not a good way to run a team.

41 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Ok, that’s just silly that last part. We’re talking 3 qbs that are top ten. No context on that? I know ya don’t like carr bro so....who do ya like? Who’s available that’s gonna be up there with those 3? Oh, that’s right..... nobody. Denver swung a deal, not the end of the world imo. And they still gotta put it on the field and stay healthy. As soon as I read the news I figured the anti carr guys would be out in force.  SMH. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy about it, but ya never know. MCD and carr might be a healthy combination. We’ll see.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Devilshark69 said:

Ok, that’s just silly that last part. We’re talking 3 qbs that are top ten. No context on that? I know ya don’t like carr bro so....who do ya like? Who’s available that’s gonna be up there with those 3? Oh, that’s right..... nobody. Denver swung a deal, not the end of the world imo. And they still gotta put it on the field and stay healthy. As soon as I read the news I figured the anti carr guys would be out in force.  SMH. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not happy about it, but ya never know. MCD and carr might be a healthy combination. We’ll see.

Anything to bash Carr no matter what.

17 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

I wasn't bashing Carr, I think its a fair question to ask if it changes our approach in regards to his new deal. This is a trade that shakeups our division. I haven't kept the closest tabs on the Raiders this off-season but last I heard we were talking a long term extension with him?

Carr is a fine QB but being simply a good QB likely won't be enough in this division going forward imo. We also don't have a great roster to support him and some of his shortcomings as it stands right now.

If Carr wants to be paid like an upper tier guy, which im assuming he will, I'm asking does it make sense for us. You only pay Carr that type of money if you're all in 100% sure we can compete with the elite QBs in our division right now. Letting him play out this year on his current deal also doesn't make much sense either imo. Me personally I would trade Carr right now. Start the Mcd era with a clean slate and some extra assets. 

It's a valid question, no reason to get Carr-defensive over it. 

Should you pay a QB 40+ mil knowing he's the 4th best QB and the teams has the worst talent in the division?

Not to mention the desperation trade market is at an all time high. What would Washington pay for Carr right now? I'd be inclined to listen.

• Like 2

No matter the QB we have essentially be the 4th best in the division. 
But Herbert is now the 3rd best (assuming he stays on track), does that mean chargers hsouldnt pick him up when the time comes? Pay him 50mil to be the 3rd best?
-

I think its the backwards way of looking at it. 
-
To win the AFCW you need to be able to compete with Elite QBs. 
History has shown you do that by keeping them off the field. (long drives and win turnover battle)
And having a dominate Dline. 

This to me screams, keep Crosby and Yannick and go get a DT in round 1. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

No matter the QB we have essentially be the 4th best in the division. 
But Herbert is now the 3rd best (assuming he stays on track), does that mean chargers hsouldnt pick him up when the time comes? Pay him 50mil to be the 3rd best?
-

I think its the backwards way of looking at it. 
-
To win the AFCW you need to be able to compete with Elite QBs. 
History has shown you do that by keeping them off the field. (long drives and win turnover battle)
And having a dominate Dline. 

This to me screams, keep Crosby and Yannick and go get a DT in round 1. 

I agree with your last sentence. We aren’t gonna match them QB’s (unless we trade up for Willis and pray he works out), and the best way to combat these three monster QB’s is by having a devastating DL. 

Wyatt, please.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

I agree with your last sentence. We aren’t gonna match them QB’s (unless we trade up for Willis and pray he works out), and the best way to combat these three monster QB’s is by having a devastating DL. 

Wyatt, please.

yup, at least 2 of the top 10 QBs in the NFL next year will not win their division now.  
The one that does, IMO will have the better team around him. 
KC and Den are stacked on O, Chargers a little less on O but better overall build. 

Den was in a position to make the move for Russ, but I dont think we were. 
2 firsts and 2 seconds, and we would still have a ton of holes. 

We need to put our resources into beating the crap out of opposing QBs. (Legally)

1 hour ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

I wasn't bashing Carr, I think its a fair question to ask if it changes our approach in regards to his new deal. This is a trade that shakeups our division. I haven't kept the closest tabs on the Raiders this off-season but last I heard we were talking a long term extension with him?

Carr is a fine QB but being simply a good QB likely won't be enough in this division going forward imo. We also don't have a great roster to support him and some of his shortcomings as it stands right now.

If Carr wants to be paid like an upper tier guy, which im assuming he will, I'm asking does it make sense for us. You only pay Carr that type of money if you're all in 100% sure we can compete with the elite QBs in our division right now. Letting him play out this year on his current deal also doesn't make much sense either imo. Me personally I would trade Carr right now. Start the Mcd era with a clean slate and some extra assets. 

Assets for who? You better have a plan to replace him or get ready for 4-12. I don’t see how this changes anything. Worst case you let him play out the deal and do a tag/trade. Personally, I want to see him in McDaniels offense with another wr like early last year, but maybe that’s just me.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

We will likely still pay Carr because McDaniels is probably scarred from his last Head Coach go around where he was aggressive at the QB position the moment he stepped in. 

Totally different circumstances, but he likely sticks with Carr because as most teams are learning, the alternatives right now are awful.