The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

2 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

I'm actually pretty happy with Ruggs, really liked Kinlaw too and had him higher than Brown but from what Ruggs opens up for others I'm fine with that. The Arnette pick was the big reach for me, if we wanted him we should have traded back and if he's gone took the next guy (I would still have gone with Jaylon Johnson who I think suits the Gus Bradley style as it turns out particularly well too).

Yeah, I think Ruggs is poised to have a breakout year. I honestly think he'll put up 1,000+ yards if he's healthy. We'll see how Arnette plays he looks to be bigger/stronger and should benefit from playing in Bradley's scheme with a better pass rush and better players around him in the secondary.

26 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah, I think Ruggs is poised to have a breakout year. I honestly think he'll put up 1,000+ yards if he's healthy. We'll see how Arnette plays he looks to be bigger/stronger and should benefit from playing in Bradley's scheme with a better pass rush and better players around him in the secondary.

Yeh, exactly. It's easy to be seduced by the hot ticket right now, in this case Jefferson but I think we need to give these guys a little time. Ruggs at least did flash really big time playmaking ability, he needs to work on his flaws but we also need to use him a little better too. If we can do that we could have a real difference maker on our hands. Very interested to see how all the DBs look under Bradley's system.........

4 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, exactly. It's easy to be seduced by the hot ticket right now, in this case Jefferson but I think we need to give these guys a little time. Ruggs at least did flash really big time playmaking ability, he needs to work on his flaws but we also need to use him a little better too. If we can do that we could have a real difference maker on our hands. Very interested to see how all the DBs look under Bradley's system.........

We just have to get Ruggs more involved. I honestly think he was banged up and Carr is notorious for only throwing to guys he trusts plus I'm sure it was tough to learn the playbook in a covid season with limited offseason reps. Yeah I'm most interested to see how Abram plays.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Carr is an okay deep passer he just tends to float a lot of balls so open WR have to slow down to catch the ball and then are in contested catch situations as opposed to catching it wide open.

Carrs deep lobs are pretty bad, he is way more accurate when he is throwing with some heat on it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Carrs deep lobs are pretty bad, he is way more accurate when he is throwing with some heat on it. 

Agree 100% I call them his patented “softy loftys”

I like when he dusts off the old musket. That’s why I don’t understand why he gets gun shy esp in the redzone he has a arm 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Agree 100% I call them his patented “softy loftys”

I like when he dusts off the old musket. That’s why I don’t understand why he gets gun shy esp in the redzone he has a arm 

Yeah Ruggs will be open and then have to slow down to catch the ball so the corner catches up. His first catch against Carolina and his contested catch against the Chiefs are both prime examples, those are TD if Carr zips it.

3 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah Ruggs will be open and then have to slow down to catch the ball so the corner catches up. His first catch against Carolina and his contested catch against the Chiefs are both prime examples, those are TD if Carr zips it.

haha at least they were in the field.
The worst is when Carr throws it like 2 yards OB. 

Hopefully he gets Ruggs speed figured out this offseason. 

Just now, BackinBlack said:

haha at least they were in the field.
The worst is when Carr throws it like 2 yards OB. 

Hopefully he gets Ruggs speed figured out this offseason. 

Yeah the OTA time should be good for all of our receivers. Other than Renfrow we don't really have anyone that Carr has played a ton with on the roster. Bryan Edwards was out there looking like a young DK Metcalf. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I'm actually pretty happy with Ruggs, really liked Kinlaw too and had him higher than Brown but from what Ruggs opens up for others I'm fine with that. The Arnette pick was the big reach for me, if we wanted him we should have traded back and if he's gone took the next guy (I would still have gone with Jaylon Johnson who I think suits the Gus Bradley style as it turns out particularly well too).

I have been preaching this philosophy since I have been on this forum.  A lot of people like to talk about a player being their guy so you just take them.  Unless there is a huge difference between your guy and the next guy you take the chance.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Possibly but we were pretty dead set on going CB/WR with our two picks. 

That is a horrible way to draft if we did.  It is that type of thinking that leads to drafting the 3rd punter in the 5th round that probably would have gone undrafted.  Even if someone else drafted him we could have found a FA punter.

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I have been preaching this philosophy since I have been on this forum.  A lot of people like to talk about a player being their guy so you just take them.  Unless there is a huge difference between your guy and the next guy you take the chance.

I'm still very high on Arnette if his mentals are good. If he gets coached up, he can really play IMO.  And he has the mentality you need in the secondary.  The guy was put in brutal matchups his first year and didn't do half bad with a ton of injuries.

9 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Exactly, and I can't for one second believe he was THAT much higher than the next guy on their board that he had to be taken right then and there. Perfect case was the '14 draft where we took Mack and we obviously liked Carr a lot but we showed great patience to wait and take him in the second. A lot of guys said the draft just fell into our laps but you also have to have the patience and have a grasp of the values in order to maximise value, maybe we actually preferred Bridgewater but we waited it out and the value came to us beautifully in '14. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I'm still very high on Arnette if his mentals are good. If he gets coached up, he can really play IMO.  And he has the mentality you need in the secondary.  The guy was put in brutal matchups his first year and didn't do half bad with a ton of injuries.

I also think he wasn't the best fit for Paul Guenther. Arnette to me projected as a good bump and run, physical man corner so we played him off a lot and asked him to react which he really struggled with like in the Robbie Anderson TD where he bit badly and the Miami debacle where he made the choice not based on situational awareness. I thought that was the area he struggled with in college where he was playing off and had to react and break on the receiver or ball, he was at his best getting physical with the receiver and when we did that against Tyreek Hill he covered him well. I do have a belief that Bradley will be more sympathetic with the rookies and 2nd year guys and will probably use them much more advantageously.

I'm genuinely excited (probably expecting too much I know 😄) to see how we'll use these young kids and if they look much better.

• Like 1