The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

4 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

. But as @Darbskmentioned, Carr still can get a lot better. And I agree. He can get better with fumbles. He can use his legs more (although he's starting to). He can set his feet better at times. And he can drive more throws because he has the arm to zip them in. If he doesn't do that this year and takes a step back, I'm all for looking for his replacement. But I also think it's possible that he takes a step forward this year again. Which is why I'm happy that we didn't extend him YET.

Carr was more or less the same player during his first two years under Gruden but took a leap in year 3 in the system. When he's on he definitely plays at a top 10 level and is one of the most efficient QB's in the league while also being able to make the occasional splash play. This year is a make or break year for Carr, imo, if he can take a step forward and take us to the playoffs then you look to extend him. If he doesn't then I think you look to take a QB early in the draft and let him sit under Carr during the last year of his contract before moving on. If the rookie QB looks ready to start from day one then you trade him and recoup some value. 

The biggest thing for Carr this year will be building chemistry with Ruggs/Edwards and getting them more involved in the passing game. I'm also interested to see how the OL plays and how that effects Carr's production. 

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Again, Carr barely played against the Chargers, not sure what this has to do with it. 

Broncos and Dolphins we had 106 yards rushing in both games. . . Not on a ton of carries, (22 and 23), but 106 yards isnt what I consider running the ball well. 
We were actualy out rushed in both games. . . So if 106 is good, then you must agree, our Run D is terrible as they gave up over 120 in both those games?

ATL - Our first possession started, 1 and 5, run for no gain, pass to Jacobs for 2 yards, pass to Hunter for 2 yards. Run to Jacobs no gain. 
 2nd possession - Carr fumble - It was bad. 
3rd possession - run for 5, penalty, pass for 7, screen to darren waller for negative yards. 
4th possession - pass to Renfrow 17 yards, run for no gain, incomplete pass, pass for 7 yards, 36 yards to Ruggs (to the 3)
Holding, illegial hands, and  
5th possession - short pass for 2, short pass for 3, incomplete 

ATL we started the game not being able to run. One fumble, shouldnt dig us into a hole we can not climb out of, especially early in a game. And our D, actually held to a FG right after the brutal fumble

The only games that we should've lost during that stretch was the Colts game. There's no excuses for not beating Miami, Los Angeles (I know Carr faked an injury), or the Falcons. 

1 hour ago, BackinBlack said:

Or is Derek Carr the only one allowed to have trends?
Can I not say our D is bad?

In fairness to Carr it's almost impossible to consistently win games if your defense is giving up 30+ points. Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, etc. all have losing records when their opponent scores 30+ points. Our defense gave up 30+ points in 10/16 games, 24+ points in 4/16 games, and only held our opponents to under 24 in 2/16 games, both of which we won. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

I dont know. IIRC we had a terrible D, think I remember Jax going 3 for 3 on TDs in the 4th against us lol
Seems like a trend. 

Or is Derek Carr the only one allowed to have trends?
Can I not say our D is bad?

Please, what is the difference between a fact and an excuse?
I have no idea. 

But when I bring up what I think are valid points for why the Raiders arent a very good team, everyone just yells ahhhh carr lover, and excuses. LOL

Can I not talk about the team having no depth? or not great WR (2019), or a bad D, with it not being an excuse for DC?

I also recall in that Jax game the offense stalling when we had a chance to put them away, but stunk the entire 2nd half.

4 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I also recall in that Jax game the offense stalling when we had a chance to put them away, but stunk the entire 2nd half.

Always with your excuses for the Defence 😉
When will you just admit, they are bad. 
Whats next, next year were going blame depth? 

LOL

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

His turnovers dug us into a huge hole early in the game. 

His turnover made it 6-0. In the first Q.

I do agree though, with our D, down 6 early is a heavy hole when we dont get the ball after the half. 

Although, to me that speaks to our D not being very good 

In fairness to Carr it's almost impossible to consistently win games if your defense is giving up 30+ points. Rodgers, Brady, Mahomes, Wilson, etc. all have losing records when their opponent scores 30+ points. Our defense gave up 30+ points in 10/16 games, 24+ points in 4/16 games, and only held our opponents to under 24 in 2/16 games, both of which we won. 

LOL thats all I wanted to hear. 

Carr is not consistent enough to constantly put up 30+ like elite qbs. 

• Like 1

Carr was more or less the same player during his first two years under Gruden but took a leap in year 3 in the system. When he's on he definitely plays at a top 10 level and is one of the most efficient QB's in the league while also being able to make the occasional splash play. This year is a make or break year for Carr, imo, if he can take a step forward and take us to the playoffs then you look to extend him. If he doesn't then I think you look to take a QB early in the draft and let him sit under Carr during the last year of his contract before moving on. If the rookie QB looks ready to start from day one then you trade him and recoup some value. 

The biggest thing for Carr this year will be building chemistry with Ruggs/Edwards and getting them more involved in the passing game. I'm also interested to see how the OL plays and how that effects Carr's production. 

Yep I agree. And I think he needs to develop more chemistry with Ruggs/Edwards and use his legs more aggresively.

Just now, BackinBlack said:

LOL thats all I wanted to hear. 

Carr is not consistent enough to constantly put up 30+ like elite qbs. 

Even the greatest quarterbacks in history have a losing record when their D allows 30+ points. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Yep I agree. And I think he needs to develop more chemistry with Ruggs/Edwards and use his legs more aggresively.

Particularly Ruggs, we need to do a much better job of getting him involved in the offense. Ideally we'll look to get him the ball in space more this year as opposed to using him almost exclusively as a deep threat. 

5 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

His turnover made it 6-0. In the first Q.

I do agree though, with our D, down 6 early is a heavy hole when we dont get the ball after the half. 

Although, to me that speaks to our D not being very good 

In the 1st quarter turned the ball over down 3-0 and then the Falcons went up 6-0. 

In the 2nd quarter we had a 3-n-out and the Falcons went up 13-3. 

Later in the 2nd quarter he turned the ball over and the Falcons went up 16-3 right before half time. 

Early in the 3rd quarter he threw a pick 6 and the Falcons went up 23-3. 

Later in the 3rd quarter we got to the Falcons 5 yard line and settled for 3, so it was 23-6. 

Following that possession in the 3rd quarter the Falcons scored a TD and went up 30-6. 

39 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Always with your excuses for the Defence 😉
When will you just admit, they are bad. 
Whats next, next year were going blame depth? 

LOL

I never excused the defense ever everybody knows they are bad, but that doesn't excuse Carr's poor play in cold weather and down the stretch of the season, and redzone stats is very important to winning games TOO, If he fulfilled his part there could be no complaints but he has lots of flaws to his game, and if you are saying we need a top 10 defense and OL and WR's  and running game for Carr to win then you might aswell admit he's a mediocre QB, because we would be able to win with any middle of the road QB with all that.

10 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I never excused the defense ever everybody knows they are bad, but that doesn't excuse Carr's poor play in cold weather and down the stretch of the season, and redzone stats is very important to winning games TOO, If he fulfilled his part there could be no complaints but he has lots of flaws to his game, and if you are saying we need a top 10 defense and OL and WR's  and running game for Carr to win then you might aswell admit he's a mediocre QB, because we would be able to win with any middle of the road QB with all that.

Haha nope I’ve just repeatedly said that Carr is not the problem with the raiders. 
our D is.

ive agreed that Carr has flaws too. Lol. He’s not elite, he’s boardline top 10, and I think he is. But can see some having him as 12. 
that to me is a player who can’t just put you in the playoffs year in and year out alone. Especially with KC in the division. 
but on a good team, can look amazing and put up top 5 numbers. 

our roster has been trash for most of Carrs career, it’s getting better. So I think Carr will continue to ‘improve’... but I don’t think it’s so much him improving vs, our team can mask a turnover or what not

fix that. Than make a move for your Qb. 
ala kc with Smith, build the team first then trade up. 
Or sf with Smith. 

Even an elite qb would struggle at times with this team.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

Believe me we've never had all of those things. More often than not, the roster has been trash for most of his tenure. Fans will point to a piece here or there, but we've been fielding a mediocre to bad team for the last 10 years. We just need a defense that gets a few stops and turnovers here and there. But we haven't even had that. Case in point was last year.

• Like 1

Particularly Ruggs, we need to do a much better job of getting him involved in the offense. Ideally we'll look to get him the ball in space more this year as opposed to using him almost exclusively as a deep threat. 

Yeah I think using him as a decoy wasn't a great idea.