The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

27 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I will give you that.  Carr's hand size has always been a concern but nobody has been able to figure how to get him to have better ball security.  He has to be close to the top for fumbles per sack.  16th in sacks and first in fumbles.

i remember during that draft there was some talk about his hand size and how he still had good arm strength despite it.

the conversation was along the lines of how QB's with big hands grip the ball with more of a C shape in their hand, while guys like Carr get away with more of a U shape grip. ball security is an obvious concern with the latter

1 hour ago, Turnobili said:

i remember during that draft there was some talk about his hand size and how he still had good arm strength despite it.

the conversation was along the lines of how QB's with big hands grip the ball with more of a C shape in their hand, while guys like Carr get away with more of a U shape grip. ball security is an obvious concern with the latter

The thing is you can still have good ball security with small hands.  Develop your hand strength and limit the time you carry the ball in 1 hand.  Fumbles are going to happen but it has happened to much.  Hopefully last year was an outlier were he gets sacked 26 times and has 11 fumbles.

7 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

The thing is you can still have good ball security with small hands.  Develop your hand strength and limit the time you carry the ball in 1 hand.  Fumbles are going to happen but it has happened to much.  Hopefully last year was an outlier were he gets sacked 26 times and has 11 fumbles.

when you go back and watch those fumbles, its infuriating. like i get it if you are blindsided and a guy like Von Miller karate chops your arm and the ball comes out, but Carr seems to lose the ball with the slightest contact anywhere above the waist

its honestly my biggest criticism of him

Edited by Turnobili

59 minutes ago, Turnobili said:

when you go back and watch those fumbles, its infuriating. like i get it if you are blindsided and a guy like Von Miller karate chops your arm and the ball comes out, but Carr seems to lose the ball with the slightest contact anywhere above the waist

its honestly my biggest criticism of him

Same here, he had 2 fumbles against the Falcons IIRC. . maybe 3 lol. 
The first one, he stepped up in the pocket nicely, and had two hands on the ball, and it still fell out. . . shouldnt ever happen. 
The second one, he was crushed within 2 seconds. So Its a little more blame on the OT. 

Both really hurt and suck. . But if it werent for the brutal first one, Id be blaming the OT for the second. 
Since DC has a habit of fumbles, any time is fumbles, he gets hated on (and I get it) he needs to figure this out 

The funny thing is he is so conservative when it comes to throwing interceptions combined with bad ball security he actually fumbles more than he throws interceptions some years.  He has 63 fumbles and 71 Ints in his career.  

13 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

The funny thing is he is so conservative when it comes to throwing interceptions combined with bad ball security he actually fumbles more than he throws interceptions some years.  He has 63 fumbles and 71 Ints in his career.  

Lolol that’s crazy imagine if he focused on not fumbling as much as not throwing ints. Wonder what his td:to ratio is?

10 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Lolol that’s crazy imagine if he focused on not fumbling as much as not throwing ints. Wonder what his td:to ratio is?

I know an increase in sacks on average will increase fumbles but his sack to fumble ratio is not good and shows it is more on him than his oline.  If this team could get a little better at creating turnovers and less likely to fumble we are probably in the playoffs last year.  I am willing to bet that if we are at +6 or more in TOs we will make the playoffs.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:29 PM, Humble_Beast said:

not even going lie, I wish we draft Shenault at 19. I would have doubled dipped on wideout and made It exciting. I really think Shenault has Devante type of potential. instead we settle for a mid 20s nickleback. 

Obviously hindsight is 20-20 but we should've went AJ Terrell at 12 and Justin Jefferson at 19.

On 5/25/2021 at 5:22 PM, Humble_Beast said:

DC has no problem going deep here

Carr is an okay deep passer he just tends to float a lot of balls so open WR have to slow down to catch the ball and then are in contested catch situations as opposed to catching it wide open.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Obviously hindsight is 20-20 but we should've went AJ Terrell at 12 and Justin Jefferson at 19.

I agree on Jefferson but I think this year Kinlaw will show that he should have been the pick.  

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Possibly but we were pretty dead set on going CB/WR with our two picks. 

I'm actually pretty happy with Ruggs, really liked Kinlaw too and had him higher than Brown but from what Ruggs opens up for others I'm fine with that. The Arnette pick was the big reach for me, if we wanted him we should have traded back and if he's gone took the next guy (I would still have gone with Jaylon Johnson who I think suits the Gus Bradley style as it turns out particularly well too).