The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

18 hours ago, BayRaider said:

For a QB, I’d also add extending the play, throwing into windows, and throwing players open (aka throwing with anticipation). This is a never give up mentality. Too many games I see Carr view no WR’s open and live to play another down, even on 3rd. Honestly I will admit he got a lot better on 3rd down in 2020. I use to think he was by far the worst QB in the NFL on 3rd down, but 2020 was a big step up. 

Unfortunately, throwing with anticipation  is not a skill Carr has. And he simply does not like throwing into tight windows or throwing deep. Two of the main reasons I don’t view him as a dog. Another reason is I just do not see a mean streak in him where he’ll hold players accountable in the locker room. I view him as a super nice guy, super passive, and tells everyone we’ll do better next time. That’s how I view him. I want a QB who’s gonna grab his players by the balls and not tolerate failure or mishaps in any way. 

pretty sure thats frowned upon

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Hahah first, ill just say, I wasnt / didnt mean to come across as saying it was your fault. I am sure you are a great coach. Just ended up using your example, and then realized it kind of came off as an attack on you. Was not my intention. 

to first point, ah very fair. Read it as, he was sulking by himself and was thinking doesnt sound like a dog to me LOL.

But yes 100%, while you can relate to Gruden more than I can (ive never coached, maybe one day if I have a son who plays fb lol), It is still drastically different. 
Jon can still get into his players face. And I believe he does to some, and plays favourites to others. 

haha to the bold, 2 points;
1. werent we saying we hate hearing DC say stuff like ' im the qb so its my fault'' ???
2. I think in HS, there is only so much a coach can do at some point. Some games your just going to be clearly outmatched. 

Oh I say the loss is my fault cause that’s what hc’s do Lolol but when we have film day that’s another big deal. Nobody wants to look bad on film study day in front of your teammates. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Oh I say the loss is my fault cause that’s what hc’s do Lolol but when we have film day that’s another big deal. Nobody wants to look bad on film study day in front of your teammates. 

God I would love to sit in on a film break down day at raider HQ. 
It would answer so much that us fans can only speculate on haha

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

All we see as fans is BS.  I would love to be in the locker room before the WFT game in 2017 or at least have audio for the protest discussion.  Davis coming out and discussing is about as good as it gets for us fans.  The film breakdowns would be great when a player frustrates Gruden.  Could you imagine Gruden ripping into a player like he did to Sims but ten times worse because it is behind closed doors.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Pretty much this. 

When he plays well, man does he play well. Every now and then (aka: not consistent enough to use it as the base of opinion), he even flirts with top 5 caliber play (The Saints and first Chiefs games last year, for example) 

But when he doesn't play well, it can be brutal (Falcons game). 

The issue with Carr the last two seasons is that he has been a top 10 QB the first 10 games of the season that put us into playoff contention and then a bottom 10 QB the last 6 weeks of the season when we needed to win games. 

33 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

The issue with Carr the last two seasons is that he has been a top 10 QB the first 10 games of the season that put us into playoff contention and then a bottom 10 QB the last 6 weeks of the season when we needed to win games. 

Bottom 10 is a strong statement. Especially because I really don't think he played badly down the stretch this year at all.

3 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Some Kids hate film day cause all the crap you tell them that they try to deny gets exposed on film Lololol. 

I hope one day I can work at the nfl level especially film I’m a film junkie 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Same thing will happen this year. Carr will be look like a Top 8 QB the first 10 games and look like a Bottom 12 QB his final 7 games. I actually have us going 4-1 to start the year but a 1-4 finish (9-8 overall). 

1 hour ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Bottom 10 is a strong statement. Especially because I really don't think he played badly down the stretch this year at all.

The first 10 games: 219/314 (70%), 2,431 yards, 19 TD, 3 INT, 5 fumbles lost

Last 6 games: 129/203 (63%), 1,672 yards, 8 TD, 6 INT, 3 fumbles lost 

13 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The first 10 games: 219/314 (70%), 2,431 yards, 19 TD, 3 INT, 5 fumbles lost

Last 6 games: 129/203 (63%), 1,672 yards, 8 TD, 6 INT, 3 fumbles lost 

Obviously the INTs are a major concern. 
Carr only played what 2 drives? of the Charger game, so its pretty easy to see his pace, because you can just double it. 

The last 5 games, would be on pace for this in 10 games;
258/406 (63%), 3344, 16 TDs, 12 INTs, 6 fumbles lost. 

Again obviously the ints are MAJOR concern as are the fumbles. 
But we were passing way more, because our Run game also couldnt get it going. 

Im not sure if that is a bottom 10 QB though, we were attempting roughly 40 passes per game those last 5. 
For a team built to Run the football, that is a major concern. 

51 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Obviously the INTs are a major concern. 
Carr only played what 2 drives? of the Charger game, so its pretty easy to see his pace, because you can just double it. 

The last 5 games, would be on pace for this in 10 games;
258/406 (63%), 3344, 16 TDs, 12 INTs, 6 fumbles lost. 

Again obviously the ints are MAJOR concern as are the fumbles. 
But we were passing way more, because our Run game also couldnt get it going. 

Im not sure if that is a bottom 10 QB though, we were attempting roughly 40 passes per game those last 5. 
For a team built to Run the football, that is a major concern. 

He had more turnovers than TD the last 6 games of the season against the Falcons, Jets, Broncos, Dolphins, Colts, and a series against the Chargers. 

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He had more turnovers than TD the last 6 games of the season against the Falcons, Jets, Broncos, Dolphins, Colts, and a series against the Chargers. 

Yea pretty bad. 100%. 
I dont think you are attempting 40 passes per game though if you have a qb playing terrible.
The turnovers where a major concern. 

As was being held to under 80 yards rushing against the Jets, Colts, and ATL. 

I know you will never admit it, and will say its all Carrs fault, till you die. . . but I really think most understand how important the run game is, especially when you are a team that is built to run the football. 

Again the last 5 games Carr played we were under 100 rushing yards. 
Were Carrs turnovers terrible. YES. He has to take better control of the football. 

But 7 teams finished the year with an average of under 100 yards per game. 
With a total record of 41-71 on the year. 

That includes the Steelers who somehow went 12-4 LOL. Pretty wild actually. 
The other 6
Hou - 4-12
Det - 5-11
Jax - 1-15
Atl - 4-12
Chi - 8-8
Wash- 7-9

14 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

So to recap;
My POV - Carr needs to take better control of the ball, our run game fell apart, and our D couldnt protect a lead for their life.

Your POV - we have a superbowl ready roster, but Carr holds us back 

😆

Gotta love it.

• Like 1