The QB Thread: Everything Carr, Stidham and beyond...

RaidersAreOne

30 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yea pretty bad. 100%. 
I dont think you are attempting 40 passes per game though if you have a qb playing terrible.
The turnovers where a major concern. 

As was being held to under 80 yards rushing against the Jets, Colts, and ATL. 

I know you will never admit it, and will say its all Carrs fault, till you die. . . but I really think most understand how important the run game is, especially when you are a team that is built to run the football. 

Carr's play has definitely declined down the stretch, there's no denying that. 19 TD/8 TO the first 10 weeks vs 8 TD/9 TO the last 6 weeks. It's not like we were playing juggernaut teams either, the Falcons, Broncos, and Jets were 3 of the worst teams in the league. 

5 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Carr's play has definitely declined down the stretch, there's no denying that. 19 TD/8 TO the first 10 weeks vs 8 TD/9 TO the last 6 weeks. It's not like we were playing juggernaut teams either, the Falcons, Broncos, and Jets were 3 of the worst teams in the league. 

100% agree his play declined down the stretch. Especially his interceptions. 
Our run game fell apart, teams knew we had to pass and Carr starting throwing picks. Not great to see. 

2 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Our run game fell apart, teams knew we had to pass and Carr starting throwing picks. Not great to see. 

We ran the ball well against the Chargers, Broncos, and Dolphins. We didn't run the ball well against the Falcons but a lot of that was because Carr's turnovers put us into a hole early in the game. We also didn't run the ball well against the Colts or Jets. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Obviously the INTs are a major concern. 
Carr only played what 2 drives? of the Charger game, so its pretty easy to see his pace, because you can just double it. 

The last 5 games, would be on pace for this in 10 games;
258/406 (63%), 3344, 16 TDs, 12 INTs, 6 fumbles lost. 

Again obviously the ints are MAJOR concern as are the fumbles. 
But we were passing way more, because our Run game also couldnt get it going. 

Im not sure if that is a bottom 10 QB though, we were attempting roughly 40 passes per game those last 5. 
For a team built to Run the football, that is a major concern. 

Will you agree that carr played bad down the stretch? 
I think that was the original question.

13 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Will you agree that carr played bad down the stretch? 
I think that was the original question.

Yeah Ive said number of times his play declined down the stretch. We are not good enough to over come turnovers, and he turned it over way to often his last 5 games. 

One games he was terrible, ATL. Our entire team was bad this game, our D started off very good, but penalties and no O wore them out. 
2 he was bad, Colts Den (2 picks in both)
Jets I think he played pretty great, 4 tds and 1 pick IIRC, but also Waller just went off. . . 
Miami I cant really remember, i remember it being a back and forth, frustrating game. But i dont think Carr was terrible in it. 

He was just very inconsistent down the stretch, when he starts throwing INTs we lose.
All in all, he had us in position to win 3 of his last 5 games. . playing as well all agree, not his best football. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We ran the ball well against the Chargers, Broncos, and Dolphins. We didn't run the ball well against the Falcons but a lot of that was because Carr's turnovers put us into a hole early in the game. We also didn't run the ball well against the Colts or Jets. 

Again, Carr barely played against the Chargers, not sure what this has to do with it. 

Broncos and Dolphins we had 106 yards rushing in both games. . . Not on a ton of carries, (22 and 23), but 106 yards isnt what I consider running the ball well. 
We were actualy out rushed in both games. . . So if 106 is good, then you must agree, our Run D is terrible as they gave up over 120 in both those games?

ATL - Our first possession started, 1 and 5, run for no gain, pass to Jacobs for 2 yards, pass to Hunter for 2 yards. Run to Jacobs no gain. 
 2nd possession - Carr fumble - It was bad. 
3rd possession - run for 5, penalty, pass for 7, screen to darren waller for negative yards. 
4th possession - pass to Renfrow 17 yards, run for no gain, incomplete pass, pass for 7 yards, 36 yards to Ruggs (to the 3)
Holding, illegial hands, and  
5th possession - short pass for 2, short pass for 3, incomplete 

ATL we started the game not being able to run. One fumble, shouldnt dig us into a hole we can not climb out of, especially early in a game. And our D, actually held to a FG right after the brutal fumble

Edited by BackinBlack

the ATL game, end of first quarter, after doing nothing on O, we threw a bomb to ruggs, to end at the 3 yard line, it was 0-6 at this point. We take a TD here and we are some how in the lead. 

We then took two Brutal penalties. . . go from 1st and 3, to something like 3rd and 20(goal). and have to kick a FG. 
Does Carr struggle in the Redzone yes!!!
Was this his fault. . . NO. 
Does that Kill momentum. . . YES. 
Would have taken the lead at the point, chnaged the course of the game, I think YES. 

The game continued to get uglier from there too. Penalties got very very sloppy. 
Also, to note, to this point, our RUN game had done nothing, and we were only moving the ball via the AIR. 

SO your point of we were running well until DC fumbled it away, is completely untrue, I am assuming, you were just planning on saying nonsense, hoping no one would go back and watch lol

38 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

Yeah Ive said number of times his play declined down the stretch. We are not good enough to over come turnovers, and he turned it over way to often his last 5 games. 

One games he was terrible, ATL. Our entire team was bad this game, our D started off very good, but penalties and no O wore them out. 
2 he was bad, Colts Den (2 picks in both)
Jets I think he played pretty great, 4 tds and 1 pick IIRC, but also Waller just went off. . . 
Miami I cant really remember, i remember it being a back and forth, frustrating game. But i dont think Carr was terrible in it. 

He was just very inconsistent down the stretch, when he starts throwing INTs we lose.
All in all, he had us in position to win 3 of his last 5 games. . playing as well all agree, not his best football. 

Some of those ints were off the receivers hands. At least 2 of those (richard/ruggs) were clearly not his fault. The Kenny Moore pick vs Indy was also just ridiculous. Granted, a few of them were just not good. Like the Kareem Jackson one where he stared down Waller (IIRC).  That's half the picks he threw right there.

Ironically, PFF gave Carr a higher rating down the stretch than at the beginning of the year. Although I don't know if I agree with that, I wouldn't say it's entirely black and white. 

The whole team was firing on all cylinders to start the year so Carr looked better. The team faltered down the stretch and Carr looked worse.

I think that was part of the point of bringing in Drake. To make sure that we have the ability to run at any time, like the Browns do with Hunt and Chubb. 

But as @Darbskmentioned, Carr still can get a lot better. And I agree. He can get better with fumbles. He can use his legs more (although he's starting to). He can set his feet better at times. And he can drive more throws because he has the arm to zip them in. If he doesn't do that this year and takes a step back, I'm all for looking for his replacement. But I also think it's possible that he takes a step forward this year again. Which is why I'm happy that we didn't extend him YET.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

Our running game fell apart 2 years in a row? Or is this just another excuse not to lay blame for how Carr plays late in the season.

1 minute ago, raidr4life said:

Our running game fell apart 2 years in a row? Or is this just another excuse not to lay blame for how Carr plays late in the season.

I said nothing about 2 years ago?
I literally broke down the last 5 games of the season. . . 

No one mentioned 2 years ago, until you brought it up LOL
Guessing you just had no real counter

6 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I said nothing about 2 years ago?
I literally broke down the last 5 games of the season. . . 

No one mentioned 2 years ago, until you brought it up LOL
Guessing you just had no real counter

I brought it up because it's a trend, but y'all always got some built in excuse, what was the excuse last year just asking.

21 minutes ago, raidr4life said:

I brought it up because it's a trend, but y'all always got some built in excuse, what was the excuse last year just asking.

I dont know. IIRC we had a terrible D, think I remember Jax going 3 for 3 on TDs in the 4th against us lol
Seems like a trend. 

Or is Derek Carr the only one allowed to have trends?
Can I not say our D is bad?

Please, what is the difference between a fact and an excuse?
I have no idea. 

But when I bring up what I think are valid points for why the Raiders arent a very good team, everyone just yells ahhhh carr lover, and excuses. LOL

Can I not talk about the team having no depth? or not great WR (2019), or a bad D, with it not being an excuse for DC?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BackinBlack said:

His turnovers dug us into a huge hole early in the game. 

• Like 1