Redskins trade Trent Williams to the 49ers

sdrawkcab321

9 hours ago, N4L said:

Once he got them (training staff fired etc) he then made up the contract demands because the bridge had already been burned and he wanted out no matter what. The demands came because he wanted out, he didn't want out because of his contract. It was never about money 

Lol, what is this new spin?  Was this created to make the 49ers look like geniuses or something?

It's a fact that he made it known he wanted more money before the training staff was ever fired.  In fact, that was the issue from the start.  

5 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Lol, what is this new spin?  Was this created to make the 49ers look like geniuses or something?

It's a fact that he made it known he wanted more money before the training staff was ever fired.  In fact, that was the issue from the start.  

so then why has he stated that he does not want a new contract with the niners right now? 

if this was only about the money, then he would have certainly asked for a pay increase immediately. especially considering he has had injury concerns

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, N4L said:

so then why has he stated that he does not want a new contract with the niners right now? 

if this was only about the money, then he would have certainly asked for a pay increase immediately. especially considering he has had injury concerns

He doesn't want a new contract because his value is as low as it's ever been right now.  He needs to show NFL decision-makers he can still play at a pro-bowl level.

It's not like he's making chump change now.  He's making $12.5 million this season with the potential to make far more in FA if he shows he can still play at a high level.

• Like 1

Just now, HTTRDynasty said:

He doesn't want a new contract because his value is as low as it's ever been right now.  He needs to show NFL decision-makers he can still play at a pro-bowl level.

It's not like he's making chump change now.  He's making $12.5 million this season with the potential to make far more in FA if he shows he can still play at a high level.

that's a fair statement, but the same could be said about his value in Washington. his 'value is as low as its ever been right now' and is the same for the niners as it was for Washington a few days ago. Yet, in Washington, he would only play for a new deal, while in SF he is willing to play on his current deal. I think that does show at least some amount of insight into his thought process and is a clear indicator that this dispute was not completely about money.  

Right or wrong, he had his reasons and methods of leaving Washington. You can try and say that he acted in bad faith because 'he wanted more money before the training staff was ever fired' but if that was the main motivator in forcing his way out of Washington, then he would be demanding more money right now. He is not, so logic dictates there is more to the story. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, N4L said:

that's a fair statement, but the same could be said about his value in Washington. his 'value is as low as its ever been right now' and is the same for the niners as it was for Washington a few days ago. Yet, in Washington, he would only play for a new deal, while in SF he is willing to play on his current deal. I think that does show at least some amount of insight into his thought process and is a clear indicator that this dispute was not completely about money.  

Right or wrong, he had his reasons and methods of leaving Washington. You can try and say that he acted in bad faith because 'he wanted more money before the training staff was ever fired' but if that was the main motivator in forcing his way out of Washington, then he would be demanding more money right now. He is not, so logic dictates there is more to the story. 

There was a ton of bad blood here, and he felt disrespected for a variety of reasons:

• Drafting Geron Christian in the 3rd round of the 2018 draft.  There were reports he was pretty pissed off about that.
  • Letting him reach the last of his guaranteed money without extending him
  • Obviously, the cyst diagnosis was a contributing factor
  • He was reportedly willing to sign a new contract after the coaching change, but his agent says he felt disrespected that Rivera met with Greg Olsen as a FA before sitting down and talking to Trent

I know I'm missing some.  Anyway, this was about much more than just the cancer scare.

27 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

There was a ton of bad blood here, and he felt disrespected for a variety of reasons:

• Drafting Geron Christian in the 3rd round of the 2018 draft.  There were reports he was pretty pissed off about that.
  • Letting him reach the last of his guaranteed money without extending him
  • Obviously, the cyst diagnosis was a contributing factor
  • He was reportedly willing to sign a new contract after the coaching change, but his agent says he felt disrespected that Rivera met with Greg Olsen as a FA before sitting down and talking to Trent

I know I'm missing some.  Anyway, this was about much more than just the cancer scare.

this is exactly my point. the bridge was burned and the guy wanted out. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

The bridge was burned largely because of the perceived disrespect from the team's handling of his money situation though.  The cancer scare was just a convenient excuse. 

17 minutes ago, N4L said:

That doesn’t really make sense though because the guy who did all of the bridge burning (Bruce Allen) is gone.  Rivera met with Trent and he said he wanted a $20 mil per year deal.  We wouldn’t do that so he said he still wanted a trade.  He got traded over a contract dispute.  

I don't see why Trent asking for a new contract means he's not serious in that he wants to leave. He asked for $20MM/year knowing he'd never get it, and he was apparently willing to play at least one year on just his base contact.

It's not the first time in the business world that someone has wanted to get rid of a client, tacked on a deliberately prohibitive pain in the *** fee, and then parted ways.

• Like 1