5th Round (155th overall) - OLB Trevis Gipson, Tulsa | Bears 2020 Draft

RJ_11

2 hours ago, Madmike90 said:

If he didn't have the surname Mack you wouldn't care 😂

Not true, at least on the face of it.

It IS true that the genetics involved give me a little more hope, but the same can be said of one Ryan Pace. 

28 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Not true, at least on the face of it.

It IS true that the genetics involved give me a little more hope, but the same can be said of one Ryan Pace. 

For Pace this is throwing your star player's little brother a bit of money...Mack doesn't get close to making this team or even the PS.

1 hour ago, G08 said:

Undrafted players make the league alllll the time man

This is true. With that said, Ledarius Mack didn’t play in any all star games, wasn’t a combine invitee and didn’t even get a write up from any major draft publication that I could find despite multiple publications writing up like 500 guys. Even as UDFA go he’s an incredibly short odds long shot. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

Even as UDFA go he’s an incredibly short odds long shot.

Agreed here... feels like this is more of throwing Khalil Mack a bone but hey, maybe the kid will show something

29 minutes ago, SLCbear said:

TG was a team captain which says quite alot about drive and desire to keep playing football, red shirt Senior .... lot of forced fumbles 

I have high hopes for TG

Seems like you have high hopes for that lame TG nickname catching on. I’ll have to observe his performance and demeanor on the field before I grant him any titles. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, G08 said:

Undrafted players make the league alllll the time man

Nothing I said was wrong. There are over 350 UDFA's signed annually and the vast, vast majority amount to nothing. I certainly don't ever go into this post-draft period expecting the Bears to find a major contributor.

Pace has been lucky with some of his-Callahan and RRH.

EDIT: just saw my original post said <0%. Well.. that's impossible. I meant to say <1%

Edited by beardown3231

On 4/25/2020 at 1:36 PM, beardown3231 said:

They traded their 4th rounder next year

I have no opinion except why the **** is Pace allergic to drafting OL?

We traded next years 4th rounder for this guy.  

So that means they had a at least a high 4th round grade on him.  Or they just like burning draft picks.

Anyway, it means they are really high on this guy.  

49 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

We traded next years 4th rounder for this guy.  

So that means they had a at least a high 4th round grade on him.  Or they just like burning draft picks.

Anyway, it means they are really high on this guy.  

Not really. Minnesota had 13 day 3 picks on Saturday so they were intentionally giving up those picks for some next year. Those picks a year in advance are actually worth a round worse, so the Bears, in theory, dealt a 5th in 2021. 

The Bears also figure to have 4 comp picks next year, likely all in round 6 with the small chance of one sneaking into the 5th. You can't trade comp picks until they become official, so when the draft rolls around next year, the Bears can easily get that 4th back if they want to (in which they'll take a corner :) ).

2 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

Not really. Minnesota had 13 day 3 picks on Saturday so they were intentionally giving up those picks for some next year. Those picks a year in advance are actually worth a round worse, so the Bears, in theory, dealt a 5th in 2021. 

The Bears also figure to have 4 comp picks next year, likely all in round 6 with the small chance of one sneaking into the 5th. You can't trade comp picks until they become official, so when the draft rolls around next year, the Bears can easily get that 4th back if they want to (in which they'll take a corner :) ).

I don't buy that a next year 4 is worth the same as a this year 5th or a 3rd to a 4th and so on.  I know that is way it is done and that is the theory.  But it isn't money that is earning interest over time.  

A higher pick is a higher pick to me. 

I'd rather have the higher selection unless I think guy in front of me is really misvalued and has slipped without a good reason.