Which team is the best fit for Cam Newton?

DigInBoys

1 hour ago, RamblinMan99 said:

No, you're talking about the way Cam Newton wants to dress for a press conference.  

That has absolutely nothing to do with why Cam will never be at New England.  

Cam doesn't fit with Belichick's play design.  He's looking for a QB with a quicker release and is more comfortable threading the needle in coverage.  

To Belichick,  Cam would be the TIm Tebow 2.0.  And, that's just not what he's looking for. 

Didn't Bill sign Tebow? So he was okay signing Tebow, but Cam? Doesn't make sense.

That said, the Patriots don't have a ton of cap space and you have to wonder how little Newton would be willing to sign for.

Cam is in a tough spot because we've had so many younger qbs come into the league in the past few years, that really havent busted yet so theres just not a lot out there in terms of starting gigs. Is he willing to be a backup? Will he be willing to sign for -10mil?

I think the Cowboys would be smart to make a play for him. Throwing 10 mil at cam could go a long way towards gaining some leverage in negotiations with Dak. And if for some reason they can't come to an agreement with Dak they have someone else on the roster to turn to.

53 minutes ago, drew39k said:

Didn't Bill sign Tebow? So he was okay signing Tebow, but Cam? Doesn't make sense.

That said, the Patriots don't have a ton of cap space and you have to wonder how little Newton would be willing to sign for.

Cam is in a tough spot because we've had so many younger qbs come into the league in the past few years, that really havent busted yet so theres just not a lot out there in terms of starting gigs. Is he willing to be a backup? Will he be willing to sign for -10mil?

I think the Cowboys would be smart to make a play for him. Throwing 10 mil at cam could go a long way towards gaining some leverage in negotiations with Dak. And if for some reason they can't come to an agreement with Dak they have someone else on the roster to turn to.

Yeah, that's exactly why I mentioned him.  Belichick signed Tebow and didn't even have him on the roster for half of the season before he got rid of him.  

Belichick wanted to experiment, and that's how it panned out.  He's not going to make that same mistake again.  

I can see Cam Newton being a backup, but he's definitely not going to settle for that if he doesn't have to.  

I get what you're saying with the idea of bringing Cam into play with Dak Prescott's contract, but Dallas is already in the hole since Prescott's already getting more off of his franchise tag than Dallas thought.  

And, I don't see Jerry Jones trying to make a play like that in order to get Dak to fold.  I honestly think they're going to work out an extension before July anyway.  Dallas knows very well that they'll lose more in the long run if they tag him again next season only to eventually see him leave. 

Newton isn't worth the 10 milion for a backup role.  

That's the kind of deal Denver needs to be offering him for a starting job.   

Cam would go to Denver in a heartbeat if he knew he had the chance to start there.  He knows he doesn't have a chance for that in Dallas, so that would be a last case scenario for him.  

Can't compare Newton to Tebow; Newton isn't the greatest passer in the world, but he's Tom Brady compared to Tebow.

The only team where he can win a starting job and start week one is Jacksonville. Other than that he'll have to settle for an open backup role (Detroit maybe?).

Edited by $andtrap

7 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I always thought Chicago was the best fit for him, but then the Foles trade happened which made zero sense, Foles is a backup QB/Fringe Starter. 

At this point, it’s looking like Cam might not make it into a NFL Training Camp. Perhaps a playoff-caliber team signs him due to injury 4-5 games into the season.

I kinda wanna see what Kyle Shanahan can do with Cam. Would be some pretty interesting plays. I wonder if Week 1 started creeping up, if Cam would take a 1 year 6M type deal to be a backup QB? Would his ego allow that? He could go to SF, NO, IND, PITT. 

Word has it the main reason he’s not still with us is he wanted an extension, not to play out his final year making three times that. Of course that was then and this is now and he may have to face facts. 

1 hour ago, $andtrap said:

Can't compare Newton to Tebow; Newton isn't the greatest passer in the world, but he's Tom Brady compared to Tebow.

The only team where he can win a starting job and start week one is Jacksonville. Other than that he'll have to settle for an open backup role (Detroit maybe?).

I’d buy a Newton Jax jersey. That would be awesome. They’re my (distant) second favorite team. 

I say jax also like wat if minshew gets injured wat then? He also shouldnt be handed the reigns because he has little to no competition. Bring in cam to compete for being the starter and also they would have a capable backup if the starter gets injured.

9 hours ago, N4L said:

this makes zero sense. Cam is literally the exact opposite in every conceivable way from BB on a professional level. 

well all belichick needs to do to remain competitive and keep the culture in NE is have a mediocre QB that can stretch them into the playoffs like last year, cam could be that, i dont think stidham is that

Edited by Drained

5 hours ago, JMG5 said:

Before the draft I thought the Chargers were perfect for him, but they drafted Herbert.

Now I think it's either the Jaguars, Patriots or Redskins, but honestly none of them are great fits.

Herbert is a project and probably won't even see the field this year.