2021 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

58 minutes ago, jpaulthe1st said:

Jaylon Johnson was the best rookie corner last year, a great scheme fit (for PG), and he was available at 19. In 5 years he will be the best corner from the 2020 draft class. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/nfl-rookie-power-rankings-ceedee-lamb-rejoins-list-jonathan-taylor-rises-as-regular-season-ends/

CBS had Terrell as the best rookie CB in their power rankings and Terrell had a 60.8 grade from PFF while Johnson had a 54.9 grade. 

34 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I think Barmore has upside to be a great player. But he's not a frp in my eyes and taking him 17 to shelf him a year or 2 would not be a good use of the pick.

That's true and to be honest it's hard to see Mayock take Barmore #17 when his job is likely dependent on if we make the playoffs or not next season. 

I want a defensive lineman in the 1st but I won't be surprised if we use the pick on an OT like Teven Jenkins or Jalen Mayfield or reach on a safety like Trevon Moehrig or Richie Grant. 

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

My thing with Barmore is I can’t see why people think he’s a reach but somehow Paye is not.

Paye was a multi year starter at Michigan and is #19 on Daniel Jeremiah's board and #11 on the Draft Network's board. Barmore was a 1 year starter and is #41 on DJ's board and #49 on TDN's board.

• Like 1

Weird position for us to be in at 17 in this draft with how the roster is. I think all the players that are likely or have a chance to be there at our most pressing needs have question marks. All the pass rushers - Rousseau (is he raw, stiff?), Phillips (injuries), Ojalari (size), Paye (more of a base end?) - then Barmore (inconsistent, immature?),  Moehrig (solid - but is 17 too rich?). 

I can understand why some posters are suggesting an olineman. Not least as it is a need as things stand and it looks like there are a number of players without the above lists question marks. But I would hate to not spend it on at least trying to get a difference maker on defense.

I would be worried if it was any of the aforementioned defenders - but excited too as - one of them could be that difference maker.

The players that really excite me are the LBs. JOK is top of my big board. Personally, I feel he could play alongside Kwit and Littleton and stay on the field and play nickel. He just looks that fast and good in coverage. I just can’t see the FO picking him - or any of the LBs for that matter with Kwit and Littleton entrenched as starters. 

8 minutes ago, reddevil said:

Weird position for us to be in at 17 in this draft with how the roster is. I think all the players that are likely or have a chance to be there at our most pressing needs have question marks. All the pass rushers - Rousseau (is he raw, stiff?), Phillips (injuries), Ojalari (size), Paye (more of a base end?) - then Barmore (inconsistent, immature?),  Moehrig (solid - but is 17 too rich?). 

I can understand why some posters are suggesting an olineman. Not least as it is a need as things stand and it looks like there are a number of players without the above lists question marks. But I would hate to not spend it on at least trying to get a difference maker on defense.

I would be worried if it was any of the aforementioned defenders - but excited too as - one of them could be that difference maker.

The players that really excite me are the LBs. JOK is top of my big board. Personally, I feel he could play alongside Kwit and Littleton and stay on the field and play nickel. He just looks that fast and good in coverage. I just can’t see the FO picking him - or any of the LBs for that matter with Kwit and Littleton entrenched as starters. 

RT would be pretty bad value at #17, imo. I could see us targeting someone like Jackson Carman at #80 if he's on the board. 

The LB class this year is really good, a lot of 3 down LB's in this years class. Micah Parsons, JOK, Zaven Collins, Jabril Cox, Dylan Moses, and Jamin Davis are all intriguing prospects. 

I wouldn't mind Parsons, JOK, or Collins at #17. But would definitely prefer we take a swing on a pass rusher. I'd be happy with Paye, Philips, or Ojulari. 

Edited by NYRaider

15 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

First off projections don’t matter once somebody gets drafted so saying someone’s projected to go here or there is all just hypotheticals

It matters because of the question you asked of why one is considered a reach and the other isn't.

I'm not worried about Paye as a pass rusher. Paye's role at Michigan wasn't to get after the passer. They used him all over the line, often at 0tech to play the run. If you know anything about Michigan football, you know how they use these type players. NFL, he will play edge, get space where he will be able to excel. He has the similar speed to power potential a guy like Mack had coming out. 

And I'm not sure where you get he doesn't have any pass rush moves. He's got great hands and technique in stacking and shedding blocks. 

I think you're trying to view him as a pass rusher and that wasn't his role at Michigan.

18 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I think it's a good bet we can land a good edge rusher at 17 and a potentially good DT/safety at 48.

Undoubtedly. 

Edge Rusher

DT

FS

OT

That first 4 rounds should be able to net a quality player at each position. 

Now, if we could just trade for another day 2 pick...we could potentially walk away from the draft with 5 day 1 starters easy. 

We shall see. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Undoubtedly. 

Edge Rusher

DT

FS

OT

That first 4 rounds should be able to net a quality player at each position. 

Now, if we could just trade for another day 2 pick...we could potentially walk away from the draft with 5 day 1 starters easy. 

We shall see. 

If we can't sign a quality RT and there is a monster sitting there at 17, I'm fine taking OL as long as we've addressed DL/Safety/CB. We can always get more value on defense on day 2.

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

this another guy I been looking at, and might be there in the 3rd just due to his height. but the man has great range, can tackle, angles, instincts, explosive, good player. I like him similar to Grant

Only if Bradley knows how to not put him in a position to guard 6'6" TEs.  Even smaller than Karl Joseph.

Just watched the video and what was I suppose to like about it.  He looked bad in coverage and bad against the run.  He did give Hurts and the OG some highlight plays.

Edited by drfrey13