2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

i have been pushing for a top running back ever since the season ended. You cannot have a strong offensive without having a strong running game. Their are two players in the draft that are first class runners & both are outstanding receiver, both Harris & Travis Etiente, can get the job done, J Williams from UNC is no slouch either. This idea of getting a top RB in the fourth round is nonsense, sure you can get a backup there but not a tier one, the odds are against that. I don't care if we get one at 23 or 34. I have had enough of these late round running backs we been drafting the last eight years.

I do think the OG group needs upgraded for a RB to be worth the highly drafted RB. But I don’t see why we can’t get an OG at 23 and draft a RB at 34 or the other way around and be in good shape on OL AND have a great RB to be a weapon. 

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I do think the OG group needs upgraded for a RB to be worth the highly drafted RB. But I don’t see why we can’t get an OG at 23 and draft a RB at 34 or the other way around and be in good shape on OL

Where do you rank CB in order of holes to fill?  This is a 2 year rebuild.  Build OL .... defer starting Wilson until OL has proven the can pass protect.  Critical to preventing QB injury.  CB is strong weakness ... This is a good year to draft, so draft tier 1 (unlikely any left at 23)  or tier 2 at 34. RB at 23/34?  Who will pass protect?  Tier 1 RB can be filled next year, RBC this year. 

36 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

Where do you rank CB in order of holes to fill?  This is a 2 year rebuild.  Build OL .... defer starting Wilson until OL has proven the can pass protect.  Critical to preventing QB injury.  CB is strong weakness ... This is a good year to draft, so draft tier 1 (unlikely any left at 23)  or tier 2 at 34. RB at 23/34?  Who will pass protect?  Tier 1 RB can be filled next year, RBC this year. 

I have CB ranked as a big need. But I think the offense needs fixed 1st.

32 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I would like to draft CB that high but a lot of scouts are suckers for man coverage quality CBs for high picks.

I still concern about drafting CB that late using Sherman and Breeland as a reason for that.  Both are solid zone CB but they are very very bad at recovery speed when offense ticked up aggressively.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

4 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That is why CB/OL at 23/34.  Is Samuel 4th best CB on board?  What are feelings he will be there at 23?  CBs and OL are strengths in this draft ..... so drafting at these positions at those picks make sense.   Impossible to say at this point which to draft at each spot ...... depends on draft board.

4 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said Joe told him anything. 

What are trying to say then?  You're inferring that DJ has some sort of inside info and knew what JD was going to do because his last mock was right.

I'm just saying that there is no correlation to a mock draft and what JD is going to do.  Just because DJ hit the pick last time means really nothing.  

I don't think there's any chance JD takes a RB at 23 despite people trying to claim that a mock draft is some sort of smoke.

If you want to claim that it means JD values a RB highly by all means but I don't.

If they are friends there is no way he's going to hurt the chances of say Harris dropping to 23 by continuing to hint that the Jets want him if that is really what JD wants at 23.  If anything I see this as smoke that he wants someone to take the RB early so someone else drops.

10 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

What are trying to say then?  You're inferring that DJ has some sort of inside info and knew what JD was going to do because his last mock was right.

I'm just saying that there is no correlation to a mock draft and what JD is going to do.  Just because DJ hit the pick last time means really nothing.  

I don't think there's any chance JD takes a RB at 23 despite people trying to claim that a mock draft is some sort of smoke.

If you want to claim that it means JD values a RB highly by all means but I don't.

If they are friends there is no way he's going to hurt the chances of say Harris dropping to 23 by continuing to hint that the Jets want him if that is really what JD wants at 23.  If anything I see this as smoke that he wants someone to take the RB early so someone else drops.

Jeremiah and Douglas worked together. Philosophically there's clearly a mutual understanding of how they see the game and prospects. So when he's doing his mock I'm sure he knows what Joe will look for in a particular prospect and if the fit is there. That's all I'm saying. Jeremiah actually tweeted some positional prototypes they used in Baltimore when looking at prospects. It's a good gauge for what Joe will be looking for since he's an Ozzie disciple, who's a Belichick disciple. 

Doesn't mean he knows what Joe is going to do or that Joe would tell him because Joe wont.

Same thing with Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan. Simms knows how Shanahan sees the game so he bases his opinion on that but it doesn't mean Kyle's like "Hey Chris I'm picking Mac Jones"

46 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Jeremiah and Douglas worked together. Philosophically there's clearly a mutual understanding of how they see the game and prospects. So when he's doing his mock I'm sure he knows what Joe will look for in a particular prospect and if the fit is there. That's all I'm saying. Jeremiah actually tweeted some positional prototypes they used in Baltimore when looking at prospects. It's a good gauge for what Joe will be looking for since he's an Ozzie disciple, who's a Belichick disciple. 

Doesn't mean he knows what Joe is going to do or that Joe would tell him because Joe wont.

Same thing with Chris Simms and Kyle Shanahan. Simms knows how Shanahan sees the game so he bases his opinion on that but it doesn't mean Kyle's like "Hey Chris I'm picking Mac Jones"

It sounds like we are in agreement.  It's an educated guess.  Many people here can form and educated guess on their knowledge of JDs previous draft history with Balt and Phi.  DJ sees a glaring hole at RB and speculates that we should/could take a RB.  Nothing really to see there IMO.  

I just think bobby was putting way too much stock into a mock saying we are considering RB at 23 is all I was saying.

I don't think it means anything.  Lots of evidence suggests otherwise that RB won't be in play at 23 which is why I said it means basically nothing.

6 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

It sounds like we are in agreement.  It's an educated guess.  Many people here can form and educated guess on their knowledge of JDs previous draft history with Balt and Phi.  DJ sees a glaring hole at RB and speculates that we should/could take a RB.  Nothing really to see there IMO.  

I just think bobby was putting way too much stock into a mock saying we are considering RB at 23 is all I was saying.

I don't think it means anything.  Lots of evidence suggests otherwise that RB won't be in play at 23 which is why I said it means basically nothing.

Definitely an educated guess simply based on what they know about each GM. Trends develop as teams gain continuity in their front offices. It's like mocking a tall corner to Seattle

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Many people here can form and educated guess on their knowledge of JDs previous draft history with Balt and Phi

These statements confuse me because JD was not the GM. He can offer his opinions but the GM makes the final decisions. As a scout in Baltimore, he gave his reports but I am sure that’s where it ended. In Philly, as VP if Player Personnel, he had more input but again, the GM picked the players. Am I missing something?

12 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I do think the OG group needs upgraded for a RB to be worth the highly drafted RB. But I don’t see why we can’t get an OG at 23 and draft a RB at 34 or the other way around and be in good shape on OL AND have a great RB to be a weapon. 

Correct, they are our two biggest needs on offensive, we should be able to do this either way at 23 or 34. I agree 100% what you just posted. We have a lot of knowledgeable people on this board, but i don't understanding their thinking on running backs who are also pass receivers.