2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I have no idea why people think that a young QB can't turn it around. It does not mater if he is traded or a FA. The point is he has a change in location, system, team and FO. You have a TON of QB's that have turned it around.

Here is just a small sample of payers 

Alex Smith

Drew Brees

Ryan Tannehill

Vinney Testaverdie

Kerry Collins

Matt Schaub

Steve Young

This is just guys off the top of my head. Heck you have one of the greatest QB's every in Drew Brees turn it around. Please don't tell me that it was the shoulder injury. Brees was NOT good before the injury. The injury just pushed the Chargers more away from him. I think people who don't see the talent that Sam has does not really understand the entire picture. He can be great with a good team around him. The Jets did him dirty by having NOTHING. He had no one blocking, catching or running the ball for him. The guy was running for his life every second. I find it funny when people say he locks on to the first read and does nothing after. The reason for thsi is the first read is covered beacsue you using a WR 3 as a WR 1 and now by the time he sees the first read he is alreday under pressure. The you add the worse HC in the NFL for the last 10 years and the moron has a all pro RB and NEVER used him right. This so called great QB whisper is the biggest joke ever. The GM's now Sam will be good and are trying to get him at the lowest cost possible. JD is not falling for it. I think a lot of you guys will be surprised at what we will get for him. I live in Maine and the sports guy here think it is a joke that these reports of him being a 3rd or 4th round pick is stupid. They are Pat fans and they think he is worth a late first or 2 second round picks. I'm really starting to wonder if those reports are just made up about the 3rd or 4th round pick or is it GM's trying to lower the value. 

7 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I have no idea why people think that a young QB can't turn it around. It does not mater if he is traded or a FA. The point is he has a change in location, system, team and FO. You have a TON of QB's that have turned it around.

Alex Smith

Drew Brees

Ryan Tannehill

Vinney Testaverdie

Kerry Collins

Matt Schaub

Steve Young

This is just guys off the top of my head. Heck you have one of the greatest QB's every in Drew Brees turn it around. Please don't tell me that it was the shoulder injury. Brees was NOT good before the injury. The injury just pushed the Chargers more away from him. I think people who don't see the talent that Sam has does not really understand the entire picture. He can be great with a good team around him. The Jets did him dirty by having NOTHING. He had no one blocking, catching or running the ball for him. The guy was running for his life every second. I find it funny when people say he locks on to the first read and does nothing after. The reason for thsi is the first read is covered beacsue you using a WR 3 as a WR 1 and now by the time he sees the first read he is alreday under pressure. The you add the worse HC in the NFL for the last 10 years and the moron has a all pro RB and NEVER used him right. This so called great QB whisper is the biggest joke ever. The GM's now Sam will be good and are trying to get him at the lowest cost possible. JD is not falling for it. I think a lot of you guys will be surprised at what we will get for him. I live in Maine and the sports guy here think it is a joke that these reports of him being a 3rd or 4th round pick is stupid. They are Pat fans and they think he is worth a late first or 2 second round picks. I'm really starting to wonder if those reports are just made up about the 3rd or 4th round pick or is it GM's trying to lower the value. 

You forgot Kurt Warner and Jake Delhomme. lol

39 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Alex Smith

Drew Brees

Ryan Tannehill

Vinney Testaverdie

Kerry Collins

Matt Schaub

Steve Young

The question isn't can Sam be better I mean it's hard not to be.  The question is how much better?  Is he a top 25 QB, top 20, top 5?  Most think he won't ever be one of the top 15 QBs that is the problem.  He has continued to make the same mistakes for 3 straight years now.  Some of the guys you mentioned Alex Smith, Schaub, Tanny aren't franchise QBs and their team was quick to move on when the opportunity presented itself.  I mean it's only a matter of time for Tanny in Ten.  You will never win a chip with him.  They had one of the best offenses in the NFL and passed for less yards then teams like Jac and Chi.  They hid Tannehill because he's not that guy you can hand the ball to and let him win the game for you.  You need that guy to win it all.

Sam is like those guys.  Everything need to be perfect around him and in the NFL it's just not possible to sustain that.  We are in position without having to pull a SF and empty the cupboard for an elite QB prospect.  When you don't have one on your team you keep looking until you find one.

If we were picking 10 then yeah Sam probably gets another year but we're not we're picking 2 in a loaded QB class so sorry Sam you had your chance.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

The question isn't can Sam be better I mean it's hard not to be.  The question is how much better?  Is he a top 25 QB, top 20, top 5?  Most think he won't ever be one of the top 15 QBs that is the problem.  He has continued to make the same mistakes for 3 straight years now.  Some of the guys you mentioned Alex Smith, Schaub, Tanny aren't franchise QBs and their team was quick to move on when the opportunity presented itself.  I mean it's only a matter of time for Tanny in Ten.  You will never win a chip with him.  They had one of the best offenses in the NFL and passed for less yards then teams like Jac and Chi.  They hid Tannehill because he's not that guy you can hand the ball to and let him win the game for you.  You need that guy to win it all.

Sam is like those guys.  Everything need to be perfect around him and in the NFL it's just not possible to sustain that.  We are in position without having to pull a SF and empty the cupboard for an elite QB prospect.  When you don't have one on your team you keep looking until you find one.

If we were picking 10 then yeah Sam probably gets another year but we're not we're picking 2 in a loaded QB class so sorry Sam you had your chance.

I hear you. And I wont say I disagree... but what's around any QB is what matters more so than the actual QB. I wont even mention Darnold here... bc its pointless. So I'll use other teams for example.

We draft Burrow or Herbert last year and they're no better than anything we've had at QB. Bc we didn't setup ANY QB succeed for years now. Mahomes drafted by us, same thing. Watson drafted by us, same thing. Allen drafted by us, same thing. I can keep going. The guys who are young franchise QBs look at what's around them. The team has set them up to be a franchise QB. We have failed to do that with every QB we have drafted. Until that changes. Quite frankly it doesn't matter who our QB is. Until we can give a QB what the teams I mentioned have given their QBs... our results will be the same.

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I hear you. And I wont say I disagree... but what's around any QB is what matters more so than the actual QB. I wont even mention Darnold here... bc its pointless. So I'll use other teams for example.

We draft Burrow or Herbert last year and they're no better than anything we've had at QB. Bc we didn't setup ANY QB succeed for years now. Mahomes drafted by us, same thing. Watson drafted by us, same thing. Allen drafted by us, same thing. I can keep going. The guys who are young franchise QBs look at what's around them. The team has set them up to be a franchise QB. We have failed to do that with every QB we have drafted. Until that changes. Quite frankly it doesn't matter who our QB is. Until we can give a QB what the teams I mentioned have given their QBs... our results will be the same.

Watson had garbage around him last year and was really good.  Sure it helps having a good team but guys have been great without being in a great spot.  Sanchez and Goff were both given great situations early then as the cap started to catch up with the team the QB needed to set up and didn't.  Watson had garbage last year and was still great because he's great.  Herbert was a rookie and his OL was bad, his weapons were in and out of the lineup with injuries and it was a covid offseason so he had no time to develop and he showed that he is on another level.

There are plenty of instances where really good QBs elevate talent around them.  It's pretty easy to see what QBs can do that and which ones can't.  Sam falls in the latter.

I know everyone (pretty much besides me) isn't a fan of going RB at 23. But how long are we going to ignore that most every mock (and I read a bit into what JDs buddies who do mocks put out there) have us taking a RB at 23?

It's time to start realizing its a big possibility.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I know everyone (pretty much besides me) isn't a fan of going RB at 23. But how long are we going to ignore that most every mock (and I read a bit into what JDs buddies who do mocks put out there) have us taking a RB at 23?

It's time to start realizing its a big possibility.

Still think it's probably less than 10% that we go RB at 23.  You think JDs buddies are going to put out what he really is thinking?  If anything it makes me believe it even less.

I'd be shocked if it's not OL.  There will be a plug a play guy there at 23 likely given the depth at the position so it just seems inevitable.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I think most of us think Darnold can't turn himself around for Jets but there are some belief in Darnold's turn around for another team.  Thus, we hope for a good return for him such as 2nd rounder.

Yeah and it’s not something we need to count on. Darnold is getting paid next year by us if we keep him. We’re just in too good of a position to get a new guy and re-start the clock. You also have to look at what Sam’s issue is and it’s the turnovers. He even turned the ball over in college playing with great players around him so the people who simply think us upgrading the talent will change that are...let’s say naive.

He is who he is and if that changes then great but it’s not something Douglas and Saleh will risk their jobs on.

18 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Still think it's probably less than 10% that we go RB at 23.  You think JDs buddies are going to put out what he really is thinking?  If anything it makes me believe it even less.

I'd be shocked if it's not OL.  There will be a plug a play guy there at 23 likely given the depth at the position so it just seems inevitable.

They put Wilson at 2. For example McShays latest looks darn accurate. Wilson, Etienne and Eichenberg (OT from Michigan, can’t remember how to spell his name). For us in the 1st 2 rounds.

1 hour ago, JetsandI said:

I think most of us think Darnold can't turn himself around for Jets but there are some belief in Darnold's turn around for another team.  Thus, we hope for a good return for him such as 2nd rounder.

I think you got a  point, we sure could use another second round pick this year. And some team in the NFL might have a lot more success with Darnold than we had. I think he is worth a second round pick. Maybe Douglas, feels the same way that is why he is holding on to him.

40 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Jeremiah and McShay had been linking us to an OT/WR last year. 

Jeremiah finally settled on Becton as our pick in his last mock iirc. 

Here is a good video of Tevin Jenkins. What I really like about the video are the finer points of how to play OT. Worth a look. He is definitely someone I would be comfortable taking at 23 to play OG and switching to RT if Fant does not live up to his contract.  I doubt this kid falls to us though  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

They put Wilson at 2. For example McShays latest looks darn accurate. Wilson, Etienne and Eichenberg (OT from Michigan, can’t remember how to spell his name). For us in the 1st 2 rounds.

Wilson at 2 is pretty obvious.  I've been saying that for like months now.  That's not a sign that the rest of the mock is accurate.  Put yourself in JDs head for a second and you really think he's taking a 1st round RB with everything you know about him and the other holes we have?