2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

3 hours ago, Dr.O said:

Wilson or Fields will be the pick at 2 which I think is obvious at this point. I’m fully comfortable with either to be quite honest and am excited to have either as our QBOTF

The pick is Wilson. I have no question about that. Wilson played in a pro style O and Fields did not. You know what yoy are getting with Fields and Wilson is the big ? mark. Fields played with other first and second round picks and went against 1st and 2nd round picks. He also practiced against 1st and 2nd round picks. Wilson really was not around or going against these types of guys. I think Fields looks nice but Wilson fits the O they want to run. I think the 49ers talked to the Jets and they said no to the trade and threw their buddies a lifeline by saying who they are going to take. The 49ers then decided that Fields could sit a year behind Jimmy and then have Fields take over next year. They know it will take Fields at least a year to get set for the Pro style O and learn the plays. 

Now for the RB I think it is crazy to take one in the first 2 rounds. Ya these guys are nice to have but no worth the value. Just look at what KC did last year. They drafted the best RB last year and he did not do well. As a matter of fact KC had to sign Bell beacsue they where affraid they would have no RB threat. You draft a guy like Serman in the later rounds or Williams. 

Now for Pitts. I'm not a fan of drafting TE in the first round. I look as Pitts as a WR not a TE. I think he will be playing more on the outside as the big body WR like Claypool. I still like Chase over Pitts and then I would put D. Smith as number 3.

This is what I think will happen. 

#2 Zack Wilson

Trade Sam and pick 34 to Panthers for pick 8

#8 Pitts (You NEVER see a TE going in the top 5 this is about where he will go Chase beig gone)

#23 Surtain/Samuel/Horn (who ever falls)

Yes Sam is going to get a lot more than you guys think. These are all smoke screens to try and lower his value. JD already has offers from Denver, Panthers I think. He is waiting until draft day and if Jones, Fields, Wilson and T Law are all gone they will panic and up the price. 

• Like 1

I could not find anything about Wilson's potential 2nd Pro Day.  If true, it seems that T Law and Wilson got all attention at once. 

Fields will need to impress Shanahan to get himself ahead of Jones.  That is all he has to focus on because he and us don't know if JD actually grade him higher than Wilson. If he fails to do that he could knock himself out of top 15.

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

The pick is Wilson. I have no question about that. Wilson played in a pro style O and Fields did not. You know what yoy are getting with Fields and Wilson is the big ? mark. Fields played with other first and second round picks and went against 1st and 2nd round picks. He also practiced against 1st and 2nd round picks. Wilson really was not around or going against these types of guys. I think Fields looks nice but Wilson fits the O they want to run. I think the 49ers talked to the Jets and they said no to the trade and threw their buddies a lifeline by saying who they are going to take. The 49ers then decided that Fields could sit a year behind Jimmy and then have Fields take over next year. They know it will take Fields at least a year to get set for the Pro style O and learn the plays. 

Now for the RB I think it is crazy to take one in the first 2 rounds. Ya these guys are nice to have but no worth the value. Just look at what KC did last year. They drafted the best RB last year and he did not do well. As a matter of fact KC had to sign Bell beacsue they where affraid they would have no RB threat. You draft a guy like Serman in the later rounds or Williams. 

Now for Pitts. I'm not a fan of drafting TE in the first round. I look as Pitts as a WR not a TE. I think he will be playing more on the outside as the big body WR like Claypool. I still like Chase over Pitts and then I would put D. Smith as number 3.

#2 Zack Wilson

#8 Pitts (You NEVER see a TE going in the top 5 this is about where he will go Chase beig gone)

Yes Sam is going to get a lot more than you guys think. These are all smoke screens to try and lower his value. JD already has offers from Denver, Panthers I think. He is waiting until draft day and if Jones, Fields, Wilson and T Law are all gone they will panic and up the price. 

You got my vote! The one crack in the whole set up is this, Pitts will not fall past 6, and I think anyone who passes on this guy who doesn't need a QB is crazy. This guy is the Jewel of the Draft. Cincinnati doesn't have to draft an OL here, but could opt for Claypool for obvious reasons. But Pitts adds a whole other dimension to the offense.

But should things shake out like you say, I will be VERY, VERY, happy

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

#2 Zack Wilson

I think the pick will be Wilson as well. But I think it honestly will come down to interviews with our FO on who they like. Who they think has the emails makeup to be great at the next level. We watch just film. But we know very little about these kids mental makeup. That’s where interviews separate the kids who have just talent. And the kids who make big time players at the next level.

On a side note... whoever SF drafts will probably be the best rookie QB FYI. They’re getting out in a better situation than the top 2 guys. So they’re set up succeed more. So don’t be surprised if let’s say SF drafts Jones (who I like a lot) and he’s the best of the group through his 1st 2-3 years.

2 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

#2 Zack Wilson

Wow. Trade Sam and pick 34 to Panthers for pick 8.  People tend to way overvalue Sam ... those who argue for that is that there are many teams who desparately need a QB and will be willing to overpay for him or that GMs who value him as 3rd or 4th rounder are presenting a smoke screen to conceal their own intentions to pay high or that his talents around him have hidden his high value and there are teams who buy into this.  The soundest is that he has weaknesses (when first option breaks down he fails to read lower options and makes really bad passes) that will unlikely be improved much on a more talented team.  How many bust QBs turn it around when traded?

30 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

Wow. Trade Sam and pick 34 to Panthers for pick 8.  People tend to way overvalue Sam ... those who argue for that is that there are many teams who desparately need a QB and will be willing to overpay for him or that GMs who value him as 3rd or 4th rounder are presenting a smoke screen to conceal their own intentions to pay high or that his talents around him have hidden his high value and there are teams who buy into this.  The soundest is that he has weaknesses (when first option breaks down he fails to read lower options and makes really bad passes) that will unlikely be improved much on a more talented team.  How many bust QBs turn it around when traded?

Steve Young even though it wasn't right away.

3 minutes ago, Bronx Born and Raised said:

I believe if you have to go back 25 years ago to find a counter example, then he is a "unicorn."  By the way, thank you for your insightful comments.

Also.  no salary cap restriction.    During salary cap era, I don't recall of anyone.  No result, bye.

5 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

On a side note... whoever SF drafts will probably be the best rookie QB FYI. They’re getting out in a better situation than the top 2 guys. So they’re set up succeed more. So don’t be surprised if let’s say SF drafts Jones (who I like a lot) and he’s the best of the group through his 1st 2-3 years.

Great point, could ease some of the "we should have drafted this guy" reactions while we continue to build the team up and our QB finds his groove. 

Recently it was Baker year 1 being the guy, then Lamar was the best of the bunch and now its Allen with Lamar and Baker being close behind. 

I said it before but who we pick doesn't matter as much as what we do after we pick him and the work the kid puts in to be great. If one of those things is off then we'd have failed regardless of the choice. 

1 minute ago, Bobby816 said:

His biggest knock for me is that he’s already 23. Darnold is 23

Didn’t know that I definitely get the vibe we’re gonna invest at least 2 picks in the OL between 23 and the 3rd round tbh