2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

12 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I think Poole comes back ultimately and Clark will be one of the two OG's for us. 

I hope Poole comes back. I am a little shocked he is still available unless he is asking for a lot. That would certainly fill one hole. Still need that outside CB.

As for Clark, I, too, am hopeful he can be a serviceable starter. I just find it a bit concerning that he did not play at all last year with the crap we had at OG. Did he really practice that poorly? Did gase just not to play him? Too many questions surrounding him. At the very least, draft an OG in round 3 or 4 and let them battle it out. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, xrade said:

I hope Poole comes back. I am a little shocked he is still available unless he is asking for a lot. That would certainly fill one hole. Still need that outside CB.

As for Clark, I, too, am hopeful he can be a serviceable starter. I just find it a bit concerning that he did not play at all last year with the crap we had at OG. Did he really practice that poorly? Did gase just not to play him? Too many questions surrounding him. At the very least, draft an OG in round 3 or 4 and let them battle it out. 

Poole signed late last year, the market is slow right now as teams are prepping for the draft. 

Clark hurt his shoulder early in camp and barely practice in pads and then hurt his knee at the end. When he came back he had to work back into shape, I think he plays over Elflein is he was able to. He got first team reps the last few weeks but Gase kept him out just cause he didn't have the time to really get acclimated, wasn't worth rushing considering the circumstances. 

35 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Poole signed late last year, the market is slow right now as teams are prepping for the draft. 

Clark hurt his shoulder early in camp and barely practice in pads and then hurt his knee at the end. When he came back he had to work back into shape, I think he plays over Elflein is he was able to. He got first team reps the last few weeks but Gase kept him out just cause he didn't have the time to really get acclimated, wasn't worth rushing considering the circumstances. 

It would be great if he could grab a starting spot and make the need for OG 1 less. Maybe that’s why we aren’t got on the OG market in FA Bc we believe in him.

I still think we keep both Lewis and GVR until after the draft. Just as a safety net. I do think they believe in Clarke. But maybe have to see it this year to believe it surely. We draft a OG high then I see us cutting GVR. Let the best 2 guys start between Lewis, Clarke and rookie

• Like 1

I am comfortable with the current DE/DL situation but if a good edge is available at a spot where the value is strong enough, I would pull the trigger. It’s not a big need or a position where they should reach at but also not a position where improvement, both short-term and long-term, isn’t possible. Saleh is used to running deep rotations in SF and Foley, JFM, Shepherd, and Curry are all FAs after the season. 

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

It would be great if he could grab a starting spot and make the need for OG 1 less. Maybe that’s why we aren’t got on the OG market in FA Bc we believe in him.

I still think we keep both Lewis and GVR until after the draft. Just as a safety net. I do think they believe in Clarke. But maybe have to see it this year to believe it surely. We draft a OG high then I see us cutting GVR. Let the best 2 guys start between Lewis, Clarke and rookie

Would you be against keeping the depth? No need to cut a guy if we aren't using the money elsewhere. 

2 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Would you be against keeping the depth? No need to cut a guy if we aren't using the money elsewhere. 

I'm torn on that bc you always need depth. And if we are drafting Wilson at 2, OL depth is important. But I prefer my depth more in the youth movement than vets. GVR isn't getting paid much, so keeping him around isn't hurting us cap wise. He's pretty much costing us 3.5mill this year. Which is cheap for an OG. But he is 31. Lewis is 29, but is due nearly 7mill this year. So his cap hit is a lot more. So if we want to roll over cap and such. He's the better option to cut. But he's also the better player of the 2. 

A huge thing that agitates me is when a GM fills holes with older vets when you're not a win now team. JD has shown this trait and it bugs me. Signing Gore last year and taking snaps away from the younger RBs for example. He did this some this offseason too. Coleman at RB (I know he's easily cuttable), Cole at WR. I'd rather see what the young guys have. Sometimes all a guy needs is opportunity in order to be great. If you don't afford them that, you have no clue (would Brady be Brady if Bledsoe didn't get hurt and him get snaps?)

Point being if you have Lewis and GVR here, are you starting Clarke? Where if you eliminate them here. Clarke then for sure starts and gets his chance. As long as the vets are there, they normally will play over the young guy (especially if they're later round guys). We brought in Coleman, does that stop us from drafting a RB higher and giving Perine snaps? Is Joyner taking snaps away from Davis? Is Curry taking snaps away from Huff and Zuniga? Is Cole taking the starting role over Mims?

I'm pretty confident that both Fields and Wilson would both be rated higher than any prospect in the past 3 drafts.  Probably have to go back to Watson/Mahomes/Wentz to find prospects this good.  Doesn't mean they will be the next great QBs but from a pure prospect standpoint they arent guys that come around on a yearly basis.  It's a good year to need a QB and be picking top 3.

• Like 1