2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

58 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I feel like no matter what happens we always need a few guys on the roster that resemble guys like Cotch and Bilal Powell. Just tough and consistent. 

I think Mims or Davis can be that a Cotchery type player. You could argue Crowder is already that for us.

At RB we are just bad. So we don’t have anyone even at a Powell level. Never mind a legit RB like the days when we had Martin, Jones, LT.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think Mims or Davis can be that a Cotchery type player. You could argue Crowder is already that for us.

At RB we are just bad. So we don’t have anyone even at a Powell level. Never mind a legit RB like the days when we had Martin, Jones, LT.

Why don’t you think Ty is any good or at least has possibilities?  He has only started 2 games in his 2 year career. He averaged 4.3 Y/A in Detroit and 4.7 Y/A on the Jets. The one and only game where he was used as a primary back he gained 104 yards (4.73 Y/A), 1 TD and 2 for 2 receiving.  If we are willing to give the young guys a shot at CB and DL, why should Ty not be given his shot?  I mean, his numbers are what any team would love in a RB. Let’s see if he can be the guy for one year. If not, fine, move on and get the next great RB next year. 

Edited by xrade
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

A huge thing that agitates me is when a GM fills holes with older vets when you're not a win now team. JD has shown this trait and it bugs me. Signing Gore last year and taking snaps away from the younger RBs for example. He did this some this offseason too. Coleman at RB (I know he's easily cuttable), Cole at WR. I'd rather see what the young guys have. Sometimes all a guy needs is opportunity in order to be great. If you don't afford them that, you have no clue (would Brady be Brady if Bledsoe didn't get hurt and him get snaps?)

Point being if you have Lewis and GVR here, are you starting Clarke? Where if you eliminate them here. Clarke then for sure starts and gets his chance. As long as the vets are there, they normally will play over the young guy (especially if they're later round guys). We brought in Coleman, does that stop us from drafting a RB higher and giving Perine snaps? Is Joyner taking snaps away from Davis? Is Curry taking snaps away from Huff and Zuniga? Is Cole taking the starting role over Mims?

I understand what you are saying but I don't think those two things (signing veterans and giving youth a shot) are mutually exclusive. As a team with absolutely no identity, no history of success to fall back on and no clue really, I feel we really need veterans on this team. Guys with a winning pedigree and mentality, guys who have been there and done that. It's great that the head coach went to the Super Bowl, but it would be even better if we had someone like Richard Sherman in the secondary to teach Bryce Hall and Bless Austin the finer points of playing corner. And also to bring an attitude to the locker room that losing is simply unacceptable. 

Also, I think the offensive line should reflect who is under center. Are we starting a raw rookie at QB? If so, I want as many veterans up front as possible. That would be no time to see whether Cameron Clark can play left guard...because if he can't, our quarterback may not survive Week 2 (let alone Year 2). 

However, if Alex Smith (for example) was our starting quarterback, then yeah let's go young up front and see if we can build an O-line for the next quarterback of the future (whomever and whenever that may be).

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

And Freeman McNeil! Never forget Freeman McNeil!  Hehehe

My favorite Jets era was when we had McNeil and Hector in the backfield, Wesley Walker and Johnny "Lam" Jones catching deep balls from Richard Todd and then later on big Al Toon with his ridiculous length and leaping ability.

Fun times.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewAge said:

Powell had 13 carries for 21 yards his rookie year. Definitely not out of the question that Perine could come around the way he did. 

As a solid No. 2, sure. As a legit No. 1 RB? I don't see it. Then again, I never considered Powell a legit No. 1. He was an overachiever.

As far as I'm concerned, the offensive line is the biggest concern on the team right now. I can't believe we are where we are with the O-line as things stand on March 31. 

If we are drafting a QB at No. 2, then he is likely starting Week 1. And if we are drafting two new guards, we are basically punting this season...Saleh's first. I don't think that is the way to get this new regime off the ground, with a complete rebuilding year. We need to compete in what is shaping up to be arguably the toughest division in football. Well, it would be if we were ANY good. NFC West, shout out to you guys, you're still No. 1.

Anyway, we really need to sign Alex Smith. He would help in case we have to go very young on the O-line, and also to protect the valuable asset that is that No. 2 pick QB. The last thing we should do is throw him to the wolves and see what happens, which is exactly what we have always done.

Also, are there teams that would be willing to deal an offensive guard for Sam Darnold? Would Pittsburgh part with David DeCastro? Would Seattle give up Damien Lewis? What would New England be willing to give up for Darnold? Atlanta? Carolina?

I can't believe we would be dumb enough to start 2021 with Zach Wilson/Justin Fields under center, and an offensive line of Becton-Lewis/Clark-McGovern-Van Roten/rookie-Fant.

That is simply not good enough, and if Douglas thinks it is he is not nearly the right man for this job. 

25 minutes ago, xrade said:

Why don’t you think Ty is any good or at least has possibilities?  He has only started 2 games in his 2 year career. He averaged 4.3 Y/A in Detroit and 4.7 Y/A on the Jets. The one and only game where he was used as a primary back he gained 104 yards (4.73 Y/A), 1 TD and 2 for 2 receiving.  If we are willing to give the young guys a shot at CB and DL, why should Ty not be given his shot?  I mean, his numbers are what any team would love in a RB. Let’s see if he can be the guy for one year. If not, fine, move on and get the next great RB next year. 

In an ideal world he is still on the roster for me. Just he shouldn't be thought of as the starting RB for us. He hasn't done a single thing to deserve that role quite frankly. Blame that on what you want (Gase, Gore being brought in, etc). So he shouldn't be relied on. Our 3 RBs all have 0 to give us excitement about or have proven anything. In my ideal world we keep Ty and Perine and get rid of Coleman and Adams. And draft a guy in the 1st 3 rounds.

Ty Johnson: Couldn't even start at Maryland where McFarland out did him. That hardly shows the whole story, but should be noted. He has a nice skill set and by all means I hope can be good for us. But he hasn't proven that. And he hasn't done enough to deserve that 10-15 touches a game that you'd like.

Tevin Coleman: A guy who barely played last year bc he wasn't good enough for SF (why I find it odd we signed him). Even in 2019 he wasn't anything to talk about. But even in his "prime" he wasn't special. If I had it my way. He wouldn't be on the roster come Week 1.

Lamical Perine: Is a guy I like but didn't do much with the snaps he was given last year (although Gore should have never got snaps over him). I find his best use is in that Powell type role as the 3rd down RB bc he catches the ball well. In an ideal world I'd like for us to use him in a James White type role. I think he deserves more snaps than anyone else in this RB room. Given his age, that our GM drafted him and that he can be useful as a runner and receiver. I just don't see him as that starting RB that we should be giving 15-20 touches a game to.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

In an ideal world he is still on the roster for me. Just he shouldn't be thought of as the starting RB for us. He hasn't done a single thing to deserve that role quite frankly. Blame that on what you want (Gase, Gore being brought in, etc). So he shouldn't be relied on. Our 3 RBs all have 0 to give us excitement about or have proven anything. In my ideal world we keep Ty and Perine and get rid of Coleman and Adams. And draft a guy in the 1st 3 rounds.

Ty Johnson: Couldn't even start at Maryland where McFarland out did him. That hardly shows the whole story, but should be noted. He has a nice skill set and by all means I hope can be good for us. But he hasn't proven that. And he hasn't done enough to deserve that 10-15 touches a game that you'd like.

Tevin Coleman: A guy who barely played last year bc he wasn't good enough for SF (why I find it odd we signed him). Even in 2019 he wasn't anything to talk about. But even in his "prime" he wasn't special. If I had it my way. He wouldn't be on the roster come Week 1.

Lamical Perine: Is a guy I like but didn't do much with the snaps he was given last year (although Gore should have never got snaps over him). I find his best use is in that Powell type role as the 3rd down RB bc he catches the ball well. In an ideal world I'd like for us to use him in a James White type role. I think he deserves more snaps than anyone else in this RB room. Given his age, that our GM drafted him and that he can be useful as a runner and receiver. I just don't see him as that starting RB that we should be giving 15-20 touches a game to.

If we draft Travis Etienne with the 23rd pick, I would be perfectly comfortable with a RB group of Etienne, Coleman, Perine and Johnson. 

Najee Harris as well, I would be happy. I just like Etienne's big-play potential more, and big plays are something this offense needs.

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I feel like no matter what happens we always need a few guys on the roster that resemble guys like Cotch and Bilal Powell. Just tough and consistent. 

Yeah Bilal was another guy in the same mould. Tough. High character. Great aggression. 

15 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I understand what you are saying but I don't think those two things (signing veterans and giving youth a shot) are mutually exclusive. As a team with absolutely no identity, no history of success to fall back on and no clue really, I feel we really need veterans on this team. Guys with a winning pedigree and mentality, guys who have been there and done that. It's great that the head coach went to the Super Bowl, but it would be even better if we had someone like Richard Sherman in the secondary to teach Bryce Hall and Bless Austin the finer points of playing corner. And also to bring an attitude to the locker room that losing is simply unacceptable. 

Also, I think the offensive line should reflect who is under center. Are we starting a raw rookie at QB? If so, I want as many veterans up front as possible. That would be no time to see whether Cameron Clark can play left guard...because if he can't, our quarterback may not survive Week 2 (let alone Year 2). 

However, if Alex Smith (for example) was our starting quarterback, then yeah let's go young up front and see if we can build an O-line for the next quarterback of the future (whomever and whenever that may be).

And Freeman McNeil! Never forget Freeman McNeil!  Hehehe

My favorite Jets era was when we had McNeil and Hector in the backfield, Wesley Walker and Johnny "Lam" Jones catching deep balls from Richard Todd and then later on big Al Toon with his ridiculous length and leaping ability.

Fun times.

The only time I think getting a vet in the locker room is great... is for culture. But I think we changed our culture the second we hired Saleh. We don't have to have a locker room of "McClendons" for us to turn things around now (we didn't win while McClendon was here and he was a great leader/locker room guy).

You hire coaches and ideally younger coaches to be that presence for young players to learn from. You don't need 30-35+yr old vets taking snaps away from young players, just so they can give knowledge to that player during the week. That's a coaches job. I know its been a while since we've had good coaching, so that might be hard to grasp. But that's the way things should be done. It's not a players responsibility to coach a colleague. If it happens so be it. But a guy shouldn't have a roster spot and be getting snaps for that being a big part to why they're even here. Crowder should be helping a guy like Mims, but he deserves that starting spot along with that. You bring in a guy like Curry at DE... now he's taking snaps away from Huff and Zuniga (2 promising DEs), when the coaching staff and Lawson can help those 2 guys. Now those 2 DEs wont get nearly as many snaps bc Curry is here. That's just an example. I can say the same thing with Lewis or GVR at OG with Clarke drafted. Joyner being brought in with Davis drafted. Etc.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Ty Johnson: Couldn't even start at Maryland where McFarland out did him. That hardly shows the whole story, but should be noted. He has a nice skill set and by all means I hope can be good for us. But he hasn't proven that. And he hasn't done enough to deserve that 10-15 touches a game that you'd like

Some guys are late bloomers. If he was any good at Md., he would not have been a 6th pick. It means little. The league is littered with good backs that maybe did not shine I college. As for playing time and touches, he was never given the opportunity except for once and he did well. The only other time he had double digit carries was against NE in the last game of the season and he still averaged 4.1 Y/A. He has shown he should be given a shot and I can’t help but feel that any bias toward him is based off the fact that he was not a huge college star or that he has ever been hyped. His NFL production warrants a chance. 

22 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

If we draft Travis Etienne with the 23rd pick, I would be perfectly comfortable with a RB group of Etienne

Can someone explain to me the live affair with Etienne?  He is not a bad RB, but I don’t see where he is first round material. His stats look nice except his fumbles. But he disappeared vs OSU and the first ND game (he made them pay in the playoffs though). What is it about him?  What am I missing?

3 minutes ago, xrade said:

Some guys are late bloomers. If he was any good at Md., he would not have been a 6th pick. It means little. The league is littered with good backs that maybe did not shine I college. As for playing time and touches, he was never given the opportunity except for once and he did well. The only other time he had double digit carries was against NE in the last game of the season and he still averaged 4.1 Y/A. He has shown he should be given a shot and I can’t help but feel that any bias toward him is based off the fact that he was not a huge college star or that he has ever been hyped. His NFL production warrants a chance. 

I just said I really like his skill set. But as I repeatedly say... it takes more than skill at this level to make a difference. There's some reason he's never been given a chance. Quite frankly he was only given a chance last year bc the 3 guys ahead of him were out. Why was he a backup at UM? Why was he a 6th rounder after a great pro day? Why was he cut from DET? Could it be that he's mentally weak? Could it be that he doesn't show enough during the week to warrant snaps? Maybe he isn't the smartest football IQ wise? I don't know. But he certainly as you said hasn't warranted a legit chance in his 2 NFL seasons. Should he deserve a roster spot? 100% IMO. But if we role out this season with him getting 15 touches a game. We're in bad shape. 

11 minutes ago, xrade said:

Can someone explain to me the live affair with Etienne?  He is not a bad RB, but I don’t see where he is first round material. His stats look nice except his fumbles. But he disappeared vs OSU and the first ND game (he made them pay in the playoffs though). What is it about him?  What am I missing?

My love affair is with Harris tbh. But I like Etienne my worry with his is his mileage already. He's faster than Harris, but to me that's it.

I want one of Harris, Etienne, Williams, Gainwell or Sermon in this class.