2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

2 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

My love affair is with Harris tbh. But I like Etienne my worry with his is his mileage already. He's faster than Harris, but to me that's it. 

I am a big fan of Harris as well. Too bad he wasn’t coming out next year. But do you think Etienne is worthy of a 1st round pick? Given the choose between him in the first and, say, Sermon or Gainwell in round 3, what would you do?  I just don’t see Etienne as that much better than those two. I will also not be shocked if he is the 4th RB taken somewhere at the end of round 2 or early in round 3. 

59 minutes ago, xrade said:

I am a big fan of Harris as well. Too bad he wasn’t coming out next year. But do you think Etienne is worthy of a 1st round pick? Given the choose between him in the first and, say, Sermon or Gainwell in round 3, what would you do?  I just don’t see Etienne as that much better than those two. I will also not be shocked if he is the 4th RB taken somewhere at the end of round 2 or early in round 3. 

In all honesty it comes down to how the board falls to us. For me we did enough in FA to not have to use 23 or 34 on a WR. Although I wouldn’t hate it if we did. I also don’t see edge as a need there either after adding Lawson and Curry. LB as well with Mosley and Davis there. So what are the biggest needs for us after that? OL, RB and CB.

So for me it’s about who’s there. If the top CBs are gone by 23 as well as the top OLineman... then I’m happy with Harris at 23 (not Etienne). I think Harris will be worth that 1st round investment there.

Now if a top CB or OLineman is there. I say draft them over the RB obviously. Bc the return on investment is higher in those options groups over 10 years. I think someone in those 2 position groups will fall to us though. I just can’t see top tier talent at both those groups all gone by 23.

Its at 34 where it gets more interesting if one of Harris or Etienne happens to fall to then. 

22 minutes ago, xrade said:

And therein lies the question. Whom do we consider top CB and OL outside of the obvious. 

Guys who I think are worthy of the 23rd pick at those 2 groups.

CB: Farley, Surtain, Horn

OL: Sewell, Slater, AVT, Darrisaw

So that's 7 guys. Lets assume 5 QBs go before 23 (TLaw, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance). As well as 3 WRs (Chase, Smith, Waddle), Pitts at TE, Parsons at LB, a couple edges like Rousseau and Olujari or Pity.

So that's 12 guys plus the 7 I have listed. That takes us to 19 guys. So only 3 guys would have to be other than those names for one of those 7 not to fall to us. I like those chances. Bc there's always a couple surprise picks in their as well.

17 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So that's 7 guys. Lets assume 5 QBs go before 23 (TLaw, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance). As well as 3 WRs (Chase, Smith, Waddle), Pitts at TE, Parsons at LB, a couple edges like Rousseau and Olujari or Pity.

So that's 12 guys plus the 7 I have listed. That takes us to 19 guys. So only 3 guys would have to be other than those names for one of those 7 not to fall to us. I like those chances. Bc there's always a couple surprise picks in their as well.

Hypothetically, what if all 7 are gone? Need CB and OL bad.  Do we try to trade up to this first tier, or do we take BPA at a position that we don't have as strong need for.  There is then also how big is the gap between first and second tier.  We have a lot of holes, yes.  But I am more inclined to fill positions of need with a tier one.  Need to accept that this is a 2 year rebuild.  If the choice is Wilson, then he should not start until OL will protect.  One thought process I have heard expressed here is that this is a strong draft for OL and CB .... a CB in second round is like a first round CB in most other years. I know many would disagree but I think a good approach is to load up on CB and OL with first four picks.

Just now, Bronx Born and Raised said:

Hypothetically, what if all 7 are gone? Need CB and OL bad.  Do we try to trade up to this first tier, or do we take BPA at a position that we don't have as strong need for.  There is then also how big is the gap between first and second tier.  We have a lot of holes, yes.  But I am more inclined to fill positions of need with a tier one.  Need to accept that this is a 2 year rebuild.  If the choice is Wilson, then he should not start until OL will protect.  One thought process I have heard expressed here is that this is a strong draft for OL and CB .... a CB in second round is like a first round CB in most other years. I know many would disagree but I think a good approach is to load up on CB and OL with first four picks.

There's certainly guys at those spots that I'd consider reaches but wouldn't be upset if we drafted.

Creed Humphrey at OC if we're good with moving McGovern to OG. Wyatt Davis at OG. There's some OTs there at that range that I like, but I do think are best suited to stay at RT. So I don't think that would be the best use of our resources that high in the draft.

At CB the only CB outside of those 3 is Newsome that I'd be ok with drafting there.

45 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

The irony is our two biggest needs really are IOL and CB. 

This draft is stacked. Couldn’t pick a better time to need these position groups. Can’t see anyway we don’t hit on both. I wouldnt be mad if your dream of us going rb at #23 happens because I think at #34 and #66 we will hit on starters at IOL and CB