2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

51 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

IF you're the Texans, why would you even answer the phone for that offer?

Cause they don’t have picks for the next 5 yrs haha

you gotta think, there are a limited amount of teams that would give them 2 first rounders, a third rounder, a QB that, while failed here, seems to be a favorite of every analyst and football guy out there (try and find an article that doesn’t think Sam would be a good QBs elsewhere) - AND that team has to have the cap space.

Edited by Heymangold

18 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

They went 4-12 so he didn’t do enough for them to even be competitive.

Not saying Watson isn’t good. It’s just saying he’s not a guy that you can bring in and he’s just going to win Bc his skill set. He needs things around him. And if we trade for him. We are taking on that cap as well as trading draft picks that could be used to help a QB.

I’ll give a hypothetical... we trade both 1sts this year for Watson.

Do you think Watson and his pretty much 90mill still guaranteed to him, is worth Justin Fields and let’s say Najee Harris? And also think what we could do with that 30mill average cap hit he has. We could get Thuney and Godwin with that money.

Fields, Harris, Thuney, Godwin >>>>> Watson

I agree I would rather have the extra picks because there's no way we only give the #2 overall.

But overall we're on the rise where Houston is on the decline, so he would win here.

2 hours ago, Heymangold said:

Cause they don’t have picks for the next 5 yrs haha

you gotta think, there are a limited amount of teams that would give them 2 first rounders, a third rounder, a QB that, while failed here, seems to be a favorite of every analyst and football guy out there (try and find an article that doesn’t think Sam would be a good QBs elsewhere) - AND that team has to have the cap space.

So...a  bad offer is better than no offer at all?  That's some really bad logic there.  Let me ask you this, if you were in that situation would you accept that deal?  Absolutely not.  You're talking about a late FRP, an early SRP, and a projected late future FRP.  Sam Darnold doesn't have that much value.  Maybe in a best case scenario, he's returning something similar to what Josh Rosen returned with maybe a little bit more value.  But he's through 2 years of his relatively cheap rookie year deal before a relatively expensive 5th year or extension.  I think the large majority of teams would prefer Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson to him.  Darnold is more valuable to teams like New Orleans or Pittsburgh looking for their QBOTF, but probably not in distance of drafting for one.

20 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

They went 4-12 so he didn’t do enough for them to even be competitive.

Not saying Watson isn’t good. It’s just saying he’s not a guy that you can bring in and he’s just going to win Bc his skill set. He needs things around him. And if we trade for him. We are taking on that cap as well as trading draft picks that could be used to help a QB.

I’ll give a hypothetical.. we trade both 1sts this year for Watson.

Do you think Watson and his pretty much 90mill still guaranteed to him, is worth Justin Fields and let’s say Najee Harris? And also think what we could do with that 30mill average cap hit he has. We could get Thuney and Godwin with that money.

Fields, Harris, Thuney, Godwin >>>>> Watson

Your whole argument goes out the window when you realize that Watson's cap hit for 2021 is only $10.94M for a team acquiring him.  Last year's #2 overall pick, Chase Young had a cap hit of $6.4M so you're talking about roughly a $4.5M difference between the two.  If you think you can squeeze Chris Godwin, Joe Thuney, and another FRP into that cap space, I'd love to know what kind of cap magic you're doing.  This whole argument is dishonest.

13 hours ago, xenajets said:

I’d do #2 and maybe a mid round pick but that’s about my limit. Not because of the the player but more the picks/cash he’d cost and like @Bobby816 said it’s the whole package to consider. 

Houston doesn't have any motivation to move Watson.  Watson can throw a stink, but he just signed an extensions.  He's in Houston for the foreseeable future.

1 hour ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

But overall we're on the rise where Houston is on the decline, so he would win here.

The only reason you're arguing this is because the Jets have a slew of picks over the next two years, and the Texans don't.  But the Texans have something that the Jets don't.  Deshaun Watson.  Based on pythagorean wins, the Texans were a 6.2 win team.  The Jets were a 2.9 win team.  Do you realistically think that the #2 pick is going to come in and play at the same level as Deshaun Watson who was probably the 3rd best QB in the NFL this year behind Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes.  Probably not.  So is the difference between Watson and Fields or Wilson lie?  Is it one FRP?  That's where the disconnect is.  It's the #2 overall pick in the discussion, or there's no discussion happening with the Texans.

7 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

We then trade #2 Overall (a HUGE value for HOU) and our 1st in 2022 for Deshaun Watson.

That's probably closer to what the Texans would want and/or be willing to accept, but it's probably still close.  I'd imagine they're going to ask for a minimum of 3 FRPs, which seems unlikely to get so a compromise will likely have to be struck.  Instead of that FRP in 3 years, you could include the SRP that year plus whatever value you're able to extract for Sam Darnold.  So you're talking about #2 overall, 2022 FRP (either via NYJ or SEA), 2023 2nd Round pick plus Sam Darnold.  That's a strong offer for the Texans, one that they could sell to their fanbase and nothing that cripples the Jets' future.

8 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Houston doesn't have any motivation to move Watson.  Watson can throw a stink, but he just signed an extensions.  He's in Houston for the foreseeable future.

Which is fine. I’m not sure why you keep quoting me with the same sort of message which is Houston would demand a kings ransom for Watson. Are you mad because in my opinion I wouldn’t give up three first round picks and more (including the #2 overall)? 

I couldn’t care less....it’s worth talking about as a discussion but if nothing comes from it I won’t lose any sleep. I’d much rather we pick our qb at #2 and surround him with as many weapons as possible if it’s costs the kings ransom you’ve eluded to. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Your whole argument goes out the window when you realize that Watson's cap hit for 2021 is only $10.94M for a team acquiring him.  Last year's #2 overall pick, Chase Young had a cap hit of $6.4M so you're talking about roughly a $4.5M difference between the two.  If you think you can squeeze Chris Godwin, Joe Thuney, and another FRP into that cap space, I'd love to know what kind of cap magic you're doing.  This whole argument is dishonest.

We have (after our obvious cuts) over 90mill in cap space. Thuney, Godwin and our 2 1st round draft picks is a tad more than 1/2 out cap space (not even maybe).

33 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

We have (after our obvious cuts) over 90mill in cap space. Thuney, Godwin and our 2 1st round draft picks is a tad more than 1/2 out cap space (not even maybe).

I think he means getting them for the $10.94m which is what he’s quoting it would cost us to have Watson.

12 hours ago, CWood21 said:

The only reason you're arguing this is because the Jets have a slew of picks over the next two years, and the Texans don't.  But the Texans have something that the Jets don't.  Deshaun Watson.  Based on pythagorean wins, the Texans were a 6.2 win team.  The Jets were a 2.9 win team.  Do you realistically think that the #2 pick is going to come in and play at the same level as Deshaun Watson who was probably the 3rd best QB in the NFL this year behind Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes.  Probably not.  So is the difference between Watson and Fields or Wilson lie?  Is it one FRP?  That's where the disconnect is.  It's the #2 overall pick in the discussion, or there's no discussion happening with the Texans.

The poster said despite Watson, Houston only won 4 games.  My quote was about if Watson was on the Jets we have cap space and picks over the next two seasons while the Texans have neither.  So he would have a better chance to win here going forward IMO. Watson is better than Fields or Wilson and the #2 and the Jets would have to give that up, there's no argument from me there.