2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

I think this wont happen bc I think JD would rather add picks than give up picks...

But lets say we can trade Darnold for a late 2nd. So we'd be holding 2 picks in each of the 1st 3 rounds.

We draft Fields at 2. With holding the SEA pick (lets just say for argument sake its at 25). What do people think of moving up into the teens for Jamar Chase?

Smith has passed him I'm sure in WR rankings. So Chase will slip IMO to the teens. Based on a trade chart... we'd have to send a late 2nd and the SEA 1st to get to that area around 13-16.

But to partner Fields with a crazy talented young WR like that and still have the 34th pick and our 2 3rds would be incredible. Its in essence turning Darnold into Chase via trade/draft if you will.

Just now, Bobby816 said:

I think this wont happen bc I think JD would rather add picks than give up picks...

But lets say we can trade Darnold for a late 2nd. So we'd be holding 2 picks in each of the 1st 3 rounds.

We draft Fields at 2. With holding the SEA pick (lets just say for argument sake its at 25). What do people think of moving up into the teens for Jamar Chase?

Smith has passed him I'm sure in WR rankings. So Chase will slip IMO to the teens. Based on a trade chart... we'd have to send a late 2nd and the SEA 1st to get to that area around 13-16.

But to partner Fields with a crazy talented young WR like that and still have the 34th pick and our 2 3rds would be incredible. Its in essence turning Darnold into Chase via trade/draft if you will.

Yeah I’d trade up for him no doubt. 

21 hours ago, JohnnyHectorFan said:

Total hypothetical, but if there was a Chase Young or Nick Bosa type edge in this draft would that change your opinion of sticking with Sam Darnold?  In total Jet fashion this is the first year in a few without a stud pass rusher in the draft. 

Just curious to see what the forum thinks. Would you be more in favor of keeping Sam IF there was a monster edge or would you still be ready to move on to another QB?  

Since you were my backup, Johnny, you should listen to me... :)

There are other ways to find an edge rusher. Heck, why not trade Darnold for one? I think we will get one and then it will be up to our new DC to turn him loose. 

Also, we are not in an either/or scenario at quarterback, yet everybody seems to be talking like it is either Darnold or the No. 2 pick on a QB. That is nonsense. We should look at all options, including free agency, trades, veteran stop-gaps, drafting a QB with the late first-rounder or early second-rounder and then having him sit for one year, etc. etc.

The very best quarterbacks in the NFL were not picked early in Round 1...Rodgers, Mahomes, L. Jackson, Brady, Brees, etc.

I think we would be backing ourselves in a corner if we feel forced to either keep Darnold or take a QB at 2. How about neither? Draft Sewell to bookend Becton and develop a dominant O line for starters. Draft a QB with the late first and have him sit behind a competent veteran for a year or two. Use free agency and the rest of the draft to address and upgrade our biggest needs/holes.

That is what I am leaning towards right now. 

3 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

I'm on board, I just don't see that happening.  JD doesn't seem like he will trade up especially for a WR.  I think if anything he has a tier of guys and would rather trade back and take whoever is left over.  Unless Becton was his #1 tackle he sat back and went with whoever was left over.  Then he traded down and let other WRs get taken before Mims fell to us.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KingOfNewYork said:

You know better, if it were that simple every team would do it.

Fans don't have their jobs on the line or other people pushing them in certain directions (be it scouts, owners, whoever is in their ear).  It really is that simple but teams don't operate simply.  The best plan of action would be draft whichever QB you fall in love with at 2 and then do everything in your power to support that QB.  

Can people give me their breakdown of the last three years in terms of how they’d rank the top 3 qbs coming out this year.

I mean would you have say Justin Fields on the same level as Kyle Murray. Would you have Josh Allen over Zach Wilson etc?! 

Edited by xenajets

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

You think Chase will fall far enough to trade up for?  Last year, we saw 3 WRs go between 12 and 17, so if we assume that WR3 goes off the board in that same range you'd have to include your 3rd round pick probably something a little more to trade up for him.  And that's assuming that team is willing to move off their pick.  I think Chase probably goes in that 8-15 range.

27 minutes ago, xenajets said:

Can people give me their breakdown of the last three years in terms of how they’d rank the top 3 qbs coming out this year.

I mean would you have say Justin Fields on the same level as Kyle Murray. Would you have Josh Allen over Zach Wilson etc?! 

I would have had:

1. Trevor Lawrence, 2021

2. Joe Burrow, 2020

3. Justin Fields, 2021

4. Baker Mayfield, 2018

5. Zach Wilson, 2021

6. Kyler Murrray, 2019

7. Tua Taglovailoa, 2020

8. Josh Rosen, 2018

9. Sam Darnold, 2018

10. Josh Allen, 2018

11. Justin Herbert, 2020

12. Daniel Jones, 2019

13. Dwayne Haskins, 2019

37 minutes ago, xenajets said:

This is stictly to how I viewed them as prospects. I'm willing to admit I was wrong on a few of these.

(Top 5 Tier)
Trevor Lawrence
Joe Burrow

(Top 10 Tier)
Zach Wilson
Justin Fields
Tua Tagavoilola
Josh Rosen
Sam Darnold

(Top 20 Tier)
Justin Herbert

(Late 1st Tier)

(Early Round 2 Tier)
Kyler Murray

(Mid Round 2 Tier)
Baker Mayfield
Dwayne Haskins

(Late Round 2 Tier)

(Round 3 Tier)
Josh Allen

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

You think Chase will fall far enough to trade up for?  Last year, we saw 3 WRs go between 12 and 17, so if we assume that WR3 goes off the board in that same range you'd have to include your 3rd round pick probably something a little more to trade up for him.  And that's assuming that team is willing to move off their pick.  I think Chase probably goes in that 8-15 range.

Last years class I think was better than this years. I think Smith is the only guy that goes top 10 and I think Chase goes in the teens. So my trade value to go from 25 to 15 is accurate.