2021 Draft Thread

Abe56

Here is what I learned watching the Clemson/OSU game.

1.  When given a clean pocket, Fields is good.  But so are most QB's.  He was accurate with his throws and made a few in tight windows.  His decision making, except for the throw into triple coverage, was good.  I loved his toughness by gutting out a rib injury.  However, I loathe his running.  That rib injury would not have occurred if he learns to slide.  If he is going to be a QB in the NFL, taking unnecessary shots is not good.  I want a QB not a running back under center.  Since his OL gave him a clean pocket all game, I still am not sure what he looks like under duress.  Whatever team drafts him at the top of the first round will be poor and he will have to learn to play under duress.  Will he make poor decisions then?  Will he try to run too much and get injured?  The Clemson DB's were horrendous.  Those long passes for TD's were nice, not perfect, throws from Fields (with an injured midsection) but I particularly liked that he saw his WR's beating the DB's  and made the good throw - great recognition and decisions there.

I hope the Alabama game is more competitive to get a better read on Fields.   All in all I liked what I saw but it there are still questions.  If Fields can show competent play against a better D on Jan.11, I will officially be on the Fields bandwagon.

2.  Lawrence was the opposite of Fields last night.  Like almost any QB, when your OL sucks so will the QB.  Lawrence did not go through progressions, but he had little time to do so.  I have only watched about 3 Clemson games this year, but he always seems to scan just one side of the field.  Too many WR screens, the same thing many of us blast gase for, Dabo does the same. That is not on Lawrence, but are his stats inflated because of that?  I did not see too many bad decisions from Trevor and the low interception rate supports that.  What I disliked were the three fumbles.  Not good.  The last fumble when he did not even try to recover the ball leads me to believe he just gave up.  I hate that.  He, too, needs to learn to slide and not take unnecessary hits.  For as good a prospect as Lawrence is, the games I watched he was no Luck or Manning.  Much of that is because of the play calling, but I do have questions about his ability to play under center in a pro style offense having to read the whole field.

3.  Olave is good, like first round good.  Right now he is my number two WR behind Smith.  I say that with some ignorance because I have not seen a lot of the other WR's play this year.  But Olave has produced all season by getting open and making the catch.  His play makes me wonder about the NW game.  Did Fields have a poor game because of Olave being out?  Olave's stock is trending up very fast.

4. Sermon is a beast, but can he be a beast for 16+ games?  As with Olave, he is my number 2 RB behind Harris.  The big question is what can Sermon do behind a less than stellar OL?  I think I heard that on average last night, he was untouched for 12 yards before a defender made contact.  Most RB's will look good that way.

5.  OSU's Davis and Myers are good.  I see a lot of comments in here about Davis, but IMO, Myers was better.  I would definitely trade back into the second round to grab Myers.  I hope he or Creed are Jets next year.

6.  Etienne = Meh.  I just do not see first round or high second round talent from him.  Great catching the ball.  I would not touch him until the third.  Personally, I do not want to draft any RB before round 3, but if we did give me Harris or Sermon.

7.  Shaun Wade = nope.  A whole lot of nope.  He made his bones as a slot CB but was greatly exposed when asked to play on the outside.  Gives way too much cushion.

3 hours ago, doumeyer said:

Rick I didn't here anybody on this  board knock any of the other QB's most of us have only seen TL & Fields play. But you are right getting the right staff is the key. And that is what has been lacking with Jets for to many years. One thing for sure Gase, isn't the great offensive mind that they told us he was.

Now that you are in quarantine for two weeks, it will give you a chance to catch up with all your hallmark Christmas movies, all fifty of them.

Lol you and these hallmark movies crack me up. 

You have to go back and read the comments on here after we beat the rams and some of the stuff that was said through the media + Twitter.  I just got so tired of the end of the world mindset. 

23 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

For me I agree. But there is the side of accumulating picks and surrounding him with talent. See how he does. And if he fails... then walk away next offseason and be in the QB market. If he succeeds... give him a contract. He won’t get elite money even if he plays great. Bc it would be just 1 year of good play.

But as I said. I would just draft Fields at 2 (I still have him rated higher than Wilson).

• Like 1

13 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

Notre Dame put up 50 on the Clemson defense, was the draft that bad to them last year?

Didn't watch the game but heard Mel Kiper Jr on the radio talking about the only way ND has a shot is if the offensive line dominates and they put up points.  I'm assuming all the potential draft picks on that line played well.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For me I agree. But there is the side of accumulating picks and surrounding him with talent. See how he does. And if he fails... then walk away next offseason and be in the QB market. If he succeeds... give him a contract. He won’t get elite money even if he plays great. Bc it would be just 1 year of good play.

But as I said. I would just draft Fields at 2 (I still have him rated higher than Wilson).

But when you are JD and Fields or Wilson have success, and we honestly have picks to give up for Lawrence, you cannot pass on all 3 QBs.  If they have much better careers than Sam, and also cost less the next few years, you may get fired sooner rather than later.

And if I'm a HC, why on earth do I want to go forward with Darnold?

2 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

But when you are JD and Fields or Wilson have success, and we honestly have picks to give up for Lawrence, you cannot pass on all 3 QBs.  If they have much better careers than Sam, and also cost less the next few years, you may get fired sooner rather than later.

And if I'm a HC, why on earth do I want to go forward with Darnold?

A HC might very well think Darnold isn’t the problem. And would rather use resources to help him and his own coaching to revive his career.

46 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

There is no justification for me to let Darnold start another game for this team after tomorrow, Flacco looked head and shoulders better than Darnold given the same weapons when he was given the opportunity, he has not worked out and should no longer be given the benefit of the doubt.

I think we can slide down a few spots and grab either D. Smith or Chase to help out Darnold or go after Wilson or Field who ever drops. I like the trade down becasue we can pick up another 1st next year and another 2nd either this year or next. I would be shocked if Jacksonville passsed on T Law and left him for us but I highly doubt that happens. I would love to trade down but I would not want to go below 5 that way we will end up with one of T Law, Wilson, Fields, Chase or D. Smith. Heck if 2 of those guys are there trade down one more spot and grab more picks becasue the chances are high that The LT from Oregon will be gone in the top 5. I think he will be a hot prospect becasue everyone saw what happen to Joe Burrow and NO ONE wants that to happen to their young QB. I think Cinn will trade a lot to get him to protect Joe knee. 

1 minute ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think we can slide down a few spots and grab either D. Smith or Chase to help out Darnold or go after Wilson or Field who ever drops. I like the trade down becasue we can pick up another 1st next year and another 2nd either this year or next. I would be shocked if Jacksonville passsed on T Law and left him for us but I highly doubt that happens. I would love to trade down but I would not want to go below 5 that way we will end up with one of T Law, Wilson, Fields, Chase or D. Smith. Heck if 2 of those guys are there trade down one more spot and grab more picks becasue the chances are high that The LT from Oregon will be gone in the top 5. I think he will be a hot prospect becasue everyone saw what happen to Joe Burrow and NO ONE wants that to happen to their young QB. I think Cinn will trade a lot to get him to protect Joe knee. 

Wait...you think you're getting an extra FRP and SRP to move down a few spots?

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Wait...you think you're getting an extra FRP and SRP to move down a few spots?

100%. 

Rams got 3 first and a second round pick for pick 2 for RG3

Browns got pick 8, 77, 100 in 2016 along with 2017 first and 2018 second. 

This is just in the last few years. Teams are willing to give up a lot to move up 4, 5, or 6 spots. That is why I think you guys are crazy when you think we got ripped off by trading second round picks to move up fpr Sam Darnold. That was a good trade by draft standrads. 

Now look at the prospects. You have a guy in T law that is top 3 prospect of all time at the QB spot and he just got a beat down by the guy who is suppose to be pick 2 that would be the top pick in most drafts. Then you add in a bookend LT who will be great for 10 plus years. Yes pick two is worth a kings ransom and then some.