Green Bay Packers Draft Grade

Golfman

Draft Grade for Green Bay Packers  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What grade are you giving the Packers for this draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/2020 at 07:52 PM

3 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Man that was the first time in my life I heard boos in the atrium at Lambeau. Lusty cries of disapproval. Why should the Jets’ fans have all the fun. 

I'm very conflicted about booing draft picks.  On one hand, I think you have every right to disapprove of whatever it is that you disapprove of.  On the other hand, booing the draft pick makes it sound like you are booing the player, when your anger should be for the front office people.  Trying to sour one of the best days of a young man's life for the crime of being selected to play for your favorite team.  I can't go for that.  

• Like 3

Being objective, at the moment, I gave us a D because I absolutely hated the value we got round 2/3 (RB and H Back). Love too is an unknown (I really like the prospect of him... I'm super high on him, but I will admit, he probably has a 30-50% chance of developing into a solid QB)

With that said, it is too early to grade. In four years how I'll look at this:

-A if Love hits (I mean if he is a mid to upper tier QB that is a big hit)

-B If Love doesn't hit, but If Dillon/JD are contributors, and we hit on one of our late OL we draft pans out and we have 2 long term starters... (equivalent- 2016 draft)

-C if we just get 1 second contract player worth paying real money and a few productive years from others.... (equivalent 2017 draft)

-D or F- if this is 2015 level bad

Edited by pacman5252
added one line

Overall right now I'll give it a C, maybe closer to a B if we got better value in the first 2 days. I don't think any of the players are bad players, the places they were selected though were questionable on the first 2 days. I like Love/Dillon/Deguara. I think Deguara might contribute the most this year.

Martin/Runyan could actually be good players for their value imo.

My biggest disappointment in this draft is we didn't address DL early. I've came to terms with the WR controversy around us not picking one, for what our offense is trying to do. Besides those top guys, we weren't getting a huge if at all upgrade over Lazard/Funchess.

Overall this was a big depth draft, I think if we didn't draft a RB so highly and maybe a DL/OL instead, I think a lot more people would feel better about it.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

NO and NE can see a QB from a mile away and make them appear to be a star, have much greater need for a franchise QB   They passed on this guy without a second thought. If he were the next Mahomes, they would have let us know.  Not the GM and HC who have a combined 3 years on them.  LaFluer even went to Tennessee in order to coach Marcus Mariota.  If that doesn't make you hopeful that we found a franchise QB..

Edited by Patriotplayer90
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

NO and NE can see a QB from a mile away and make them appear to be a star, have much greater need for a franchise QB, and they passed on this guy without a second thought. If he were the next Mahomes, they would have let us know.  Not the GM and HC who have a combined 3 years on them.  LaFluer even went to Tennessee in order to coach Marcus Mariota.  If that doesn't make you hopeful that we found a franchise QB..

I would say GB has had a very storied history when it comes to QB's.  NE wanted to draft a QB decided to trade back and missed out.  Got a little too cute.  Missed out on Eason too. Fact is no one expected the Packers to take a QB.  Too bad for them.  He's a Packer now and has as much  talent as any QB in this draft.  You'll be eating these words Pat man as Love becomes the next great Packer QB.   A few years of development and he'll be ready to take over.  You are just upset he's not a Patriot.  

It is early in the semester, but right now, they have a D.

Jordan Love - I get it.  This has to happen.  I thought it would be a better time to do this next season or the year after because of Rodgers' contract.  If Love develops in a couple of seasons, I have no problem, and this will most likely be the biggest determinant to the success of this draft class.  It is very unlikely that he helps the team in 2020.

AJ Dillon - I might be the only one that likes this pick.  I am against paying RBs.  Both of our RBs are FAs next season.  AJ gives us a cheaper starter for 2021, and getting him a year early allows us to whiff and try again next season.  I don't think end of the second is too early for a RB, I think we got a decent return out of Lacy who was picked around the same time.  

Josiah Deguara - I really don't like this pick.  I think it is too early for a FB.  Or call him an H-back.  Still too early for that position.  We had Vitale in that role last season, and he did next to nothing.  Maybe Deguara is better than Vitale and the role expands.  He probably has the best chance at seeing snaps if we insist on having that FB role on the offense.  

Kamal Martin - He gives us another body to compete at ILB.  At the very least he probably plays special teams for us.  We have a lot of bodies at ILB and no stars or for sure starters.  Kirksey most likely has the inside track.  We have quite a few guys to fight out for that second ILB spot.    

Jon Runyan - Jake Hanson - Simon Stepaniak - Three interior linemen to compete.  Linsley is probably gone after next season.  Turner can be cut at that time as well.  We probably see very little return from these guys this season.  I do wonder if all three make the team.  I doubt that any are better than Lane Taylor (who we still haven't cut, yet) or Lucas Patrick this season.

Vernon Scott - 7th round defensive back that plays special teams too. Gotta have these kind of guys on the roster.  And he brings added competition for the likes of Ento, Sullivan, and Redmond.

Jonathan Garvin - Seems to be the forum favorite.  Why not take a flyer on a tall, fast pass rusher? He is competing against Randy Ramsey, Greg Roberts, and Tim Williams for the 4th pass rusher spot.  If he wins that battle, he can probably get some PT.  But I think Gary is going to see a lot more snaps this season, and that 4th rusher may be pretty limited.  

After typing that all out, I feel a little better about the draft class as a whole.  I would have liked to add to the DL somewhere.  Probably in the second or third.  Maybe move around a bit and only take 2 OL instead of 3.  I am not sure that all three can make this team. Though in fairness, I could be overrating Lucas Patrick.  I don't see a lot of immediate impact for this class.  It is definitely a draft looking forward.  I will go on the record again that I am fine with the WRs that this roster has.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

It is early in the semester, but right now, they have a D.

Jordan Love - I get it.  This has to happen.  I thought it would be a better time to do this next season or the year after because of Rodgers' contract.  If Love develops in a couple of seasons, I have no problem, and this will most likely be the biggest determinant to the success of this draft class.  It is very unlikely that he helps the team in 2020.

AJ Dillon - I might be the only one that likes this pick.  I am against paying RBs.  Both of our RBs are FAs next season.  AJ gives us a cheaper starter for 2021, and getting him a year early allows us to whiff and try again next season.  I don't think end of the second is too early for a RB, I think we got a decent return out of Lacy who was picked around the same time.  

Josiah Deguara - I really don't like this pick.  I think it is too early for a FB.  Or call him an H-back.  Still too early for that position.  We had Vitale in that role last season, and he did next to nothing.  Maybe Deguara is better than Vitale and the role expands.  He probably has the best chance at seeing snaps if we insist on having that FB role on the offense.  

Kamal Martin - He gives us another body to compete at ILB.  At the very least he probably plays special teams for us.  We have a lot of bodies at ILB and no stars or for sure starters.  Kirksey most likely has the inside track.  We have quite a few guys to fight out for that second ILB spot.    

Jon Runyan - Jake Hanson - Simon Stepaniak - Three interior linemen to compete.  Linsley is probably gone after next season.  Turner can be cut at that time as well.  We probably see very little return from these guys this season.  I do wonder if all three make the team.  I doubt that any are better than Lane Taylor (who we still haven't cut, yet) or Lucas Patrick this season.

Vernon Scott - 7th round defensive back that plays special teams too. Gotta have these kind of guys on the roster.  And he brings added competition for the likes of Ento, Sullivan, and Redmond.

Jonathan Garvin - Seems to be the forum favorite.  Why not take a flyer on a tall, fast pass rusher? He is competing against Randy Ramsey, Greg Roberts, and Tim Williams for the 4th pass rusher spot.  If he wins that battle, he can probably get some PT.  But I think Gary is going to see a lot more snaps this season, and that 4th rusher may be pretty limited.  

After typing that all out, I feel a little better about the draft class as a whole.  I would have liked to add to the DL somewhere.  Probably in the second or third.  Maybe move around a bit and only take 2 OL instead of 3.  I am not sure that all three can make this team. Though in fairness, I could be overrating Lucas Patrick.  I don't see a lot of immediate impact for this class.  It is definitely a draft looking forward.  I will go on the record again that I am fine with the WRs that this roster has.  

I feel like LaFleur might regret not using Vitale more. But I would say if you're going to invest a 3rd round pick in that kind of role, you probably are going to use him. I think Sternberger and him can be a good 1 2 punch on playaction. Sternberger being that downfield through the seams type, and Degaura being that quick underneath threat that can pick up pretty chunks when you check it down or want a quick pass if the rush is in Rodgers face.

Edited by Gopackgonerd

17 minutes ago, 86Capers said:

Does Plamy ever drop by and give his input anymore?

The last time he popped in it had been months and he was treated with quite a bit of disrespect by newer posters. Honestly, as much as I loved his input, he risks too much in terms of his livelihood by doing us the favor of pro insight.

His takes were sure a rare treat, tho! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Patriotplayer90 said:

NO and NE can see a QB from a mile away and make them appear to be a star, have much greater need for a franchise QB   They passed on this guy without a second thought. If he were the next Mahomes, they would have let us know.  Not the GM and HC who have a combined 3 years on them.  LaFluer even went to Tennessee in order to coach Marcus Mariota.  If that doesn't make you hopeful that we found a franchise QB..

There's some god awful logic in here, and I don't know where to begin.  New England has drafted ONE legitimate starting QB (Jimmy Garoppolo) and a fringe starting (Jacoby Brissett).  I don't think New Orleans has ever drafted and developed a franchise QB.  New Orleans has been in a win-now mode with Drew Brees for the last couple of years, and their top picks the last two years have been on IOL.  Not exactly great usage of value if you buy into positional value.

LaFleur didn't go to Tennessee to coach Mariota.  He went to get out from underneath Sean McVay.  As long as McVay is the HC, OC's won't really get the publicity they probably deserve.  Mariota is a mediocre QB, and LaFleur helped make the Titans an average offense.

33 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

There's some god awful logic in here, and I don't know where to begin.  New England has drafted ONE legitimate starting QB (Jimmy Garoppolo) and a fringe starting (Jacoby Brissett).  I don't think New Orleans has ever drafted and developed a franchise QB.  New Orleans has been in a win-now mode with Drew Brees for the last couple of years, and their top picks the last two years have been on IOL.  Not exactly great usage of value if you buy into positional value.

LaFleur didn't go to Tennessee to coach Mariota.  He went to get out from underneath Sean McVay.  As long as McVay is the HC, OC's won't really get the publicity they probably deserve.  Mariota is a mediocre QB, and LaFleur helped make the Titans an average offense.

NE has had several QBs traded away who went on to start with other teams.  Not to mention another guy in the 6th round, forgot his name.  Bridgewater was made to look competent enough to sign a $20m/per year.  Brees hasn't missed enough time for any QB to get that kind of exposure, but he became a HOF because of Payton and the improvement was immediate.  

If either NE or NO selected Love , then I'd believe he was the real deal.  But our HC and GM have nothing even close to their track record to deserve that benefit of the doubt.  They may not even be here when Love is ready to play if these next couple of years are wasted because of talent negligence.  It makes no sense for them not to try and win now and just worry about the QBOTF and bridge QB years down the road when the former can actually live out some of his rookie contract years and the latter really doesn't matter

Edited by Patriotplayer90

Best case scenario is Rodgers plays at a high level and Love shows potential so in a few years we can recoup our lost picks. 

I was hoping we’d draft a OT that could be our RT for a decade. A run stuffing DT. A fast/quick WR. A ILB good in coverage. A CB that could cover the slot. 
I didn’t get to tick off any of those 🤔

It feels like we reached for most the players and chewed up an extra pick for Love. QBs are always a crap shoot, especially in the first round. So not pleased we used two picks including our first on him. Second round we got our third string RB. Hope it’s more than just protecting us from Jones leaving after next year. Then a short, kind of slow, TE.

this doesn’t strike me as a good draft