Green Bay Packers Draft Grade

Golfman

Draft Grade for Green Bay Packers  

95 members have voted

1. 1. What grade are you giving the Packers for this draft?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/01/2020 at 07:52 PM

6 hours ago, Pugger said:

Yes, Lazard is a perfect example of this.  It appears Rodgers won't throw to a guy who isn't where he is supposed to be or where AR expects him to be.

I think it's actually something close, but different.  Rodgers has talked a few times about receivers who made adjustments that he didn't expect that were better than the called play and what he wanted.  The two that come immediately to mind is Randall Cobb in that Saints game in 2011 (he ran the wrong route on his catch and run TD, but because it put him right into the empty spot on the defense Rodgers hit him anyway) and Adams against the Seahawks this year (the go-route to ice it was not the called play, and Adams didn't do quite what Rodgers wanted but said it was an even better adjustment in the post-game).

So clearly he's not hardstuck that receivers need to be exactly where the play says, or even where he wants them to be; if they make a great play, he'll work with it.  I think the issue with Rodgers is that he wants receivers that see the game in the same way he does.  The reason that Cobb and Adams got the ball and not a chewing out was because they saw the same thing he did, but came to an even better conclusion.  

On top of that, he's always been very open about being an extreme perfectionist.  He raves about guys who are extremely detailed in their prep and approach, and has made no secret that it's important to getting on the same page with him.  Driver, Jones, Cobb, Nelson and Adams were all guys who were students of the game, and really worked hard on knowing everything.  He seems to have issues if he doesn't feel you've done the work to be ready in the same way he has.

None of this is an excuse for not throwing to open receivers in games though.  Regardless of the why, when the tire hits track you work with what you've got.  If his game only works with people who think and play exactly like him, then he needs to adjust his game.

Edited by MrBobGray

12 hours ago, spilltray said:

That's just not true. Rodgers had little problem with Adams and some rookies he's loved. This all comes fromguys like Janis who have physical tools but can't run correct/consistent routes. It has nothing to do with them being new and everything with being sloppy. Some get better, some don't.

I think the issue is there is the designed offense and there is Rodgers’ offense.

Right or wrong Rodgers changes plays and will hold onto the ball looking for bigger better plays. I think the worry is it takes time for someone new to get into his head and know what they should be doing. This is what makes him great but likely frustrating to play with/coach.

So it’s not just understanding the play book... it’s understanding your QB and every situation and what your QB thinks you should do. Some rookie or guy off the street isn’t going to do that within a training camp. It will take a season plus to get there.

I agree that it’s not because they are rookie. It’s because they aren’t good or arent doing what Rodgers needs them to. I think the frustration from fans is though... you can’t take advantage of certain players then.

Edited by Green19

I wonder if Love would have been available at 30.  If he went to the Pack at 30, this draft looks a lot different than it does now.  Maybe Love is great, maybe not.  The Packers were fun to watch last year, but they needed too many fixes, and you can’t address those by picking 30th without any marketable assets to change your draw.

Will our corners look good next year, or not?  If they look good, maybe we can focus on stopping the run.  If we can stop the run, who knows?

When you pick at 30, you don’t get the guys you want.  

IMO, this isn’t the sort of draft you can rate.  Sure it would have been cool to get a great receiver.  We spent a few picks on receiver a couple of years ago and we were totally pumped for those guys.  How did you guys score that draft?

3 hours ago, StinkySauce said:

I wonder if Love would have been available at 30.  If he went to the Pack at 30, this draft looks a lot different than it does now.  Maybe Love is great, maybe not.  The Packers were fun to watch last year, but they needed too many fixes, and you can’t address those by picking 30th without any marketable assets to change your draw.

Will our corners look good next year, or not?  If they look good, maybe we can focus on stopping the run.  If we can stop the run, who knows?

When you pick at 30, you don’t get the guys you want.  

IMO, this isn’t the sort of draft you can rate.  Sure it would have been cool to get a great receiver.  We spent a few picks on receiver a couple of years ago and we were totally pumped for those guys.  How did you guys score that draft?

This is an interesting question.   If you look at the teams drafting 26-30 I doubt any of these teams were in the market for a QB but could one of these teams find Love an intriguing prospect too even it the need wasn't there?  I suppose Gute and MLF didn't want to take that chance after all the first round graded WRs were off the boards so they made the move.

Edited by Pugger
  • Like 1

Going over the draft and these Titans comments, check these comparisons:

Jordan Love - Colin Kaepernick/Steve McNair

AJ Dillion - Ryan Grant/Eddie George

Josiah Deugara - Frank Wycheck (Very similar) 

Watch the those Titans teams If you want to see how the Packers plan to use our three picks in the offence the next few years. 

20 minutes ago, KFP7 said:

This has probably been mentioned before, but imagine if we landed a 3rd straight HOF QB....the salt would glorious.

That would be nice but I sure hope the Packers would have more than 1 Super Bowl each to show for it....

8 hours ago, Pugger said:

This is an interesting question.   If you look at the teams drafting 26-30 I doubt any of these teams were in the market for a QB but could one of these teams find Love an intriguing prospect too even it the need wasn't there?  I suppose Gute and MLF didn't want to take that chance after all the first round graded WRs were off the boards so they made the move.

It's not just the teams in those draft spots,  but any team from 31-40ish that might have wanted to trade up for Love.  GB traded up to get Love, just like a few other teams could have done. 

10 hours ago, Pugger said:

Its been reported that teams looking for a QB were talking to the Packers to trade up. Gute could assume that these same teams were also talking to the teams ahead of them.

I wonder if the Dolphins while on the clock received an offer from another team and let the Packers know that if they didn't trade up, another team was who may be interested in a QB.  Dolphins prefered to trade with the pack because the guy they wanted would likely still be there.

I suspect these kind of things get batted around like this throughout the draft.

Packer Report on the draft points spent at each position

https://247sports.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/Article/How-the-Packers-have-used-the-draft-since-Rodgers-took-over-Aaron-Rodgers-Jordan-Love-146725273/

Here’s a look at how the Packers have valued each draft position since 2009:

Quarterback: 733.7   (4.03%)
Running Back: 829.2 (4.55%)
Fullback: 43.5    (0.24%)
H-Back: 124     (0.68%)
Wide Receiver: 919.15   (5.05%)
Tight End: 401.7    (2.21%)
Offensive Tackle: 1,988.1   (10.92%)
Guard: 549.8   (3.02%)
Center: 87.2    (0.48%)

Defensive Line: 3,582.2   (19.67%)
Edge: 3,143.6    (17.26%)
Linebacker: 379   (2.08%)
Cornerback: 3,219.8   (17.68%)
Safety: 2,185.9   (12.00%)

Kicker: 0  (0.00%)
Punter: 23.6   (0.13%)
Long Snapper: 1.5  (0.01%)

Offense: 31.17%
Defense: 68.69%
Special Teams: 0.14%

By assigning values, we can get a much better picture of exactly where the Packers like to spend their resources.

• Like 3

On 4/30/2020 at 11:23 PM, TheGreatZepp said:

That would be nice but I sure hope the Packers would have more than 1 Super Bowl each to show for it....

True.  But at least we have one for each of Favre and Rodgers and the latter still has the opportunity to add more.