2020 Rookie Talk.

DreamKid

24 minutes ago, Danand said:

Ken McCusick (as well as the danes I write with) are very excited about PQ in the run game, and much more concerned in the passing game. The guys I talk with that digs deep into the all 22 as well as the analytics are not happy with Queen in coverage unless it is man coverage. I wonder how far they will go to have him "learn" to play zone this year.

Very similar to Kenny Young's struggles. Sticky in man coverage, but too often lost in zone. Queen is a much better more explosive/rounded version, but they definitely have similar strengths and weaknesses. 

I trust Queen to develop in that area though. He's been thrown to the fire with this Covid altered season, and he didn't play all that much in college to begin with. He's already much better now than he was Week 1 and should continue to grow. Hopefully he closes out the season strong for us, like he did for LSU during their championship run.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Very similar to Kenny Young's struggles. Sticky in man coverage, but too often lost in zone. Queen is a much better more explosive/rounded version, but they definitely have similar strengths and weaknesses. 

I trust Queen to develop in that area though. He's been thrown to the fire with this Covid altered season, and he didn't play all that much in college to begin with. He's already much better now than he was Week 1 and should continue to grow. Hopefully he closes out the season strong for us, like he did for LSU during their championship run.

Yeah it really seems like they have tried to find a specific type of linebacker in that mold. I remember Young wasn't considered much more than a 6-7 round pick prior to the draft, so if that is any indication, the Ravens really wanted that type. 

A lot of things are happening in the NFL when you stand in the middle of a defense, so having experienced a lot of snaps and looks certainly helps to identify what is happening and what to do. Queen doesn't have that benefit yet, so it will be a learning curve. With us being limited at the CB/S positions, he might have to see more snaps. 

45 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Guys I think we might've made a mistake drafting JK Dobbins...he sux

I always wondered how it would feel for us to draft Nick Chubb, though I suppose this somewhat meets the feeling.

Though Tbf this is one of the best RB drafts I’ve seen. I had both Dobbins and Taylor on a similar RB grade to Chubb with top 5-15 RB potential, though I liked Taylor the best (though it was close, I had Dobbins as my top RB to start last years collegiate season). 

Then Swift is just a tick below those guys, probably in that top 15-25 range of talents. I think Swift is JKD with less breakaway speed and contact balance, but more leg drive power and arm strength... of the two I’ll take breakaway speed and contact power above additional strength, it’s a more special trait. Also in that range I had/have Buffalo’s Zack Moss. CEH had the special ability but I probably would’ve had him in the 15-25 range because he doesn’t give you the breakaway speed. That said he’s probably a little more special than I anticipated, while Taylor is perhaps a little less special than I assumed. Though such differences could be due to scheme and talent around them inflating/deflating their ability to standout, also I scout for our team... not how players will fit in with other schemes and offenses.

Eitherway, it feels great again to have a RB that is a true difference maker. He’s not the receiver Ray Rice was or the tank that Jamal Lewis was, but he’s definitely living up well to the Ahmad Green comparison I laid onto him.

This definitely makes my forum bet that he’ll produce a 1500 YFS season (if healthy, I remind) within his first three seasons that much more likely to happen/be justified. I knew with Ingram he wouldn’t do it this season, but we just got a taste of what JKD could show without Ingram to take away from his touches.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Yeah, he definitely did. I wasn’t even paying attention to him and could see him popping off. That’s when you know you’re dealing with a real dude. Campbell going down should at least allow us to develop the young guys like Madubuike, Ward, and Washington. They might be needed come playoff time. Bring on the adversity.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 3:18 AM, DreamKid said:

Queen is also a lot more raw at the position, so his play in the passing game has to be graded a little bit on a curve at this point IMHO.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MurderBuike Gang, we've been waiting on this-

ROOKIE OF THE WEEK

DI Justin Madubuike, Baltimore Ravens 

Madubuike entered Baltimore's Week 14 contest against the Cleveland Browns with just a 60.4 PFF grade, but the third-round pick lit it up on Monday Night Football against the best offensive line in the game.

The first-year interior defender came away with a 90.4 PFF grade on 31 snaps and made an impact against the run and the pass. Madubuike recorded a couple of defensive stops on eight snaps against the run and won on 17.4% of his reps as a pass-rusher.

The rookie saw pass-rushing matchups against both left guard Joel Bitonio and right Wyatt Teller — who each ranked first at their respective position in PFF grade heading into the game — and Madubuike notched multiple pressures against each.

愛さえあれば — Gaara Week, Day 5: Crazy vs. Calm As much as I...

Edited by DreamKid
  • Like 1

^^ The non-calls on the amount of times our defensive linemen were CLEARLY getting held that game were absolutely MADDENING.

I noticed like 6-7 that should have DEFINITELY drawn a flag, and to not get a single one was absolutely outrageous...especially with the ticky-tack RTP and PI we got hit with early on that game. Infuriating.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ray Reed said:

^^ The non-calls on the amount of times our defensive linemen were CLEARLY getting held that game were absolutely MADDENING.

I noticed like 6-7 that should have DEFINITELY drawn a flag, and to not get a single one was absolutely outrageous...especially with the ticky-tack RTP and PI we got hit with early on that game. Infuriating.

100%. Some of the most egregious non calls I've seen. Edgar pointed out some really good ones where the Refs are literally watching our D lineman get tackled to the ground.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

100%. Some of the most egregious non calls I've seen. Edgar pointed out some really good ones where the Refs are literally watching our D lineman get tackled to the ground.

I know Edgar's youtube channel but do you know if he has a twitter account?