Jump to content
VanS

Trey Lance might be the best QB prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft...

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, VanS said:

I would flip Jones and Mayfield.  The talent on offense at Cleveland is allowing them to hide Mayfield.  If you put Daniel Jones in his spot I think he would be just as successful if not more.

I think Daniel Jones and Sam Darnold still have the ability to be franchise QBs.  They just aren't good enough to carry a bad team by themselves.

Hiding Mayfield? They arent trying to hide Baker. They have the best 1-2 punch in the NFL. So you are going to utilize that. Browns are 29th in passing attempts but 10th in passing TDs. Baker has also thrown 8 TDs in the redzone. Yeah running is their bread and butter right now and it should be with the backs they have but when it matters, like in the redzone, they have no issue in letting him throw the ball.

Yeah lets kill Baker because he has a coach who knows what he is doing and is bring him and the offense a long slowly. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 11:17 PM, NYRaider said:

I'm not bashing Mayfield I just think as of this point he looks like an average starter while Murray looks like he's going to be special. And Murray has definitely been better than Mayfield so far this season. Mayfield's completion % and Y/A both rank 26th in the league so far this season despite having an elite group of weapons around him. 

In the 3 games he has had 30+ attempts he only completed 57% of his passes with 5 TD, 3 INT, and 5.6 Y/A. 

I know that he's in a new system with a weird offseason but their core weapons are the same. And guys like Teddy Bridgewater and Justin Herbert are in similar situations and they've been lighting it up this year. 

That just not the system the Browns are running. They are not trying to over rely on one aspect. Trying to be balance and rely more on the run but have had no problem with Baker throwing when they need too. Browns have scored the most in the AFC because they are being very balanced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, VanS said:

Do you really think Mayfield even warrants this consideration?  I only say this cause I find it hard to believe there are people out there who think Mayfield vs Murray is even up for debate.  They're not in the same class.  Mayfield has arguably the best collection of skill position players in the league and is being called on to be a game manager.  That alone should tell you what his own coaches think of him. 

or you know its just the system the Browns are wanting to use. the Browns current style of play has them sitting as the #1 scoring offense in the AFC. 3rd highest in the NFL. Stef has a system and is sticking to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, buno67 said:

or you know its just the system the Browns are wanting to use. the Browns current style of play has them sitting as the #1 scoring offense in the AFC. 3rd highest in the NFL. Stef has a system and is sticking to it.

Even if we were to accept the premise that he's hiding Mayfield, that's not a stupid thing to do when you have a young QB in a new system. People always want to be the first to be "right," so they love to jump to conclusions with young QBs.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Even if we were to accept the premise that he's hiding Mayfield, that's not a stupid thing to do when you have a young QB in a new system. People always want to be the first to be "right," so they love to jump to conclusions with young QBs.

exactly. some people outside of Cleveland know the damage Kitchen's did last year. Heck their are some browns fans that cant see that. Stef is trying to rebuid Baker, Kitchen's had him learning a lot of bad habits and tendencies last year. I am glad with the approach that is being  taken with him

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, buno67 said:

That just not the system the Browns are running. They are not trying to over rely on one aspect. Trying to be balance and rely more on the run but have had no problem with Baker throwing when they need too. Browns have scored the most in the AFC because they are being very balanced

How's that working out against good teams? 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Even if we were to accept the premise that he's hiding Mayfield, that's not a stupid thing to do when you have a young QB in a new system. People always want to be the first to be "right," so they love to jump to conclusions with young QBs.

22 hours ago, buno67 said:

or you know its just the system the Browns are wanting to use. the Browns current style of play has them sitting as the #1 scoring offense in the AFC. 3rd highest in the NFL. Stef has a system and is sticking to it.

Mayfield had a pretty good rookie season but really regressed in year two and looks like the same player this season. Mayfield and the Browns offensive numbers are inflated due to an extremely soft schedule to start the year. 

They've played two playoff teams now and in those games Mayfield is 31/57 (54%) for 308 yards (5.4 Y/A), 2 TD, 3 INT. And the Browns offense has scored 13 points and they've been outscored 76-13 in those two games. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Ragnarok said:

Or they are going with the easier plan to win games.  

No, given the chance to run or pass, they always want to run.  If they could run every down, they would.  You have to have balance, but would prefer to run.

Still feel the same today after that performance in Pittsburgh.

I would suggest hopping off the Mayfield.  Like Trubisky he's repeatedly shown signs of being a huge bust.  The Browns are a Super Bowl contender with average QB play.  Mayfield has shown an inability to even provide that. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, buno67 said:

Hiding Mayfield? They arent trying to hide Baker.

You're right.  They just decided to outright bench him today.  Guess you can't hide your QB when you're down 30+ points. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, VanS said:

Still feel the same today after that performance in Pittsburgh.

I would suggest hopping off the Mayfield.  Like Trubisky he's repeatedly shown signs of being a huge bust.  The Browns are a Super Bowl contender with average QB play.  Mayfield has shown an inability to even provide that. 

Not all of us overreact to a single game for the sake of having a hot take.

And I've never been a huge Mayfield fan.  I agreed that he isn't better than Kyler.  But just pointing to stats is lazy at best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VanS said:

Still feel the same today after that performance in Pittsburgh.

I would suggest hopping off the Mayfield.  Like Trubisky he's repeatedly shown signs of being a huge bust.  The Browns are a Super Bowl contender with average QB play.  Mayfield has shown an inability to even provide that. 

Yeah Mayfield has struggled against the only two good teams they've played as well as in the games they've asked him to throw the ball 30+ times. This is a former #1 overall pick playing in an offense surrounded by Hunt/Chubb at RB, OBJ/Landry at WR, and Hooper/Njokue at TE. I understand Kitchens was a bad coach, that he's in a new system, and there was no offseason but at some point the excuses have to stop and he has to start playing well. 

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Not all of us overreact to a single game for the sake of having a hot take.

And I've never been a huge Mayfield fan.  I agreed that he isn't better than Kyler.  But just pointing to stats is lazy at best.

It's not really an overreaction based on 1 game though, it's a reaction based on his last 22 games. The Browns have a top 3-5 group of skill position players and Mayfield is a former #1 overall pick and guy that's supposed to be a franchise QB. There's absolutely no reason or excuse for him passing for 300 total yards and your offense scoring 13 total points against the Steelers/Ravens. He has to be better. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Yeah Mayfield has struggled against the only two good teams they've played as well as in the games they've asked him to throw the ball 30+ times. This is a former #1 overall pick playing in an offense surrounded by Hunt/Chubb at RB, OBJ/Landry at WR, and Hooper/Njokue at TE. I understand Kitchens was a bad coach, that he's in a new system, and there was no offseason but at some point the excuses have to stop and he has to start playing well. 

It's not really an overreaction based on 1 game though, it's a reaction based on his last 22 games. The Browns have a top 3-5 group of skill position players and Mayfield is a former #1 overall pick and guy that's supposed to be a franchise QB. There's absolutely no reason or excuse for him passing for 300 total yards and your offense scoring 13 total points against the Steelers/Ravens. He has to be better. 

I'm not a Baker apologist, I was just saying I'm not gonna write him off 4 games into a new season with a new scheme and no offseason.

Vans just likes to troll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/17/2020 at 5:00 PM, buno67 said:

the Browns current style of play has them sitting as the #1 scoring offense in the AFC. 3rd highest in the NFL. Stef has a system and is sticking to it.

Or it could be they have been playing a weak schedule thus far filled with awful NFC East teams. 

Against good teams like Pittsburgh and Baltimore they have been embarrassed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Not all of us overreact to a single game for the sake of having a hot take.

But he's been this way his entire career (even that overhyped rookie season).  Against bad teams (thanks in large part to his elite supporting cast) Mayfield looks average to good.  Against good teams he looks awful.  Every now and then there is an outlier but in general this has been his trend.  This is not about overreacting to one game.  This is about a consistent pattern.

I honestly feel bad for Browns fans cause I think they have an elite football team.  If they had even a mediocre NFL QB (like Derek Carr for example) they would be among the favorites to win the Super Bowl.  Unfortunately subpar QB play is dragging them down whenever they play elite teams like Pittsburgh.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...