Breakout Stars 2021

Dr.O

With everyone still on lockdown I thought it be fun for us to have a thread where we can discuss or predict guys that are gonna breakout in the coming season whether they be on the Jets or not. I’ll throw some names out there.

Sam Darnold: think this is the year the flashes he’s had finally become more consistent, year 2 of Gase, Much improved OL, and a potentially much better core of Playmakers

Chris Herndon: have always loved him and think he’s gonna be a star, showed he had a great connection with Sam in Y1 but unfortunately had Y2 cut short by suspension and Injury. Think he takes that next step and becomes one of the next great TE’s

Devin Singultary: loves him coming out and looked great with the Bills in his rookie year. With they’re improved WR core it should give him more room to do what he do.

Kyler Murray: Think he’s gonna have a Lamar Jackson type jump this next season, Adding Hopkins and another year of development with his other young WRs is gonna make that offense deadly

• Like 1

One guy I have really high hopes for...

Bless Austin - Simply put, he has the mentality you're looking for at his position. Despite being a 6th round pick, talent was never the issue. To see him play as well as he did in GWs complex scheme after missing the majority of the season was just awesome. If he can stay healthy, I think we got ourselves a good one.  

• Like 1

For us, Chris Herndon.  Hopefully is over the off the field issues and injuries, because the guy showed some mega talent in his rookie year, plus Sam seems to like to target the TE.  Expecting somewhere around 800 and 8 if he plays the full season.

Around the league, I like Andy Isabella to really benefit from the Hopkins trade.

I really think we are going to see a different Quinnen this year.  Especially if our ILBers can stay healthy, which i think will free him up from his 2 gapping priorities.  If GW can free Q up to just shoot gaps and penetrate he is going to be a complete force in this league.  

12 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

For us.... Leveon Bell re-emerges as a top 5 TB for us.

God I hope so. Was one of the worst Jets rushing teams I have ever seen last season. I hope he plays with something to prove this year and Gase modifies his running scheme as well or despite the changes on the line, the improvement wont be as significant as we need it to be.

23 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Miles Sanders and Drew Lock besides some that have already been mentioned.

And I don’t agree about Singletary. I actually think he looses his starting job to Moss at some point during the season.

Only cause Lock has amazing wrs.  I see a major flaw in him that I wonder is gonna be exposed this year.  He stares wrs down like crazy,  doesn't read defenses pretty much locks his guy and thats it. 

His weapons are amazing though

13 hours ago, ekill08x said:

God I hope so. Was one of the worst Jets rushing teams I have ever seen last season. I hope he plays with something to prove this year and Gase modifies his running scheme as well or despite the changes on the line, the improvement wont be as significant as we need it to be.

Our OL was historically bad. Beachum was a liability run blocking. 

Becton early on should be a beast run blocking,  his pass pro will be more interesting as NFL pass rushers are a different beast.

Having McGovern at center is gonna help,  we had liabilities at center.  

And I am hoping they are right with Fant and he ends up being solid.

32 minutes ago, NYJets4716 said:

Our OL was historically bad. Beachum was a liability run blocking. 

Becton early on should be a beast run blocking,  his pass pro will be more interesting as NFL pass rushers are a different beast.

Having McGovern at center is gonna help,  we had liabilities at center.  

And I am hoping they are right with Fant and he ends up being solid.

Yeah Beachum is an average pass blocking LT but a abysmal run blocker as was Shell and Chuma. Hopefully that alone helps.

Gase also completely went away from what Bell excelled at in Pittsburgh. Gase acknowledged when he was hired that his offense was essentially a little bit of everything and not necessarily one system. It really didnt seem so last year. 

• Like 1

LeVeon Bell RB - With an improved offensive line Gase should  let Bell carry the load.   Play to Becton's strengths.

Braden Mann P NYJ -  Mann will lead league in putting and be offensive rookie of the year.

Miles Sanders RB PHI - Takes league by storm as lead back.

Dallas Cowboys - Goes back to the Superbowl with Mike McCarthy.   Coach Jets should have hired instead of Gase.