Tight Ends - Best of the rest

Hunter2_1

Higbee was a good blocking TE when he first came in and after last season where they started using him more in the passing game he proved extremely efficient. He has to do it for a season, as a dual threat TE, but it seems like we've given him a deal and I expect Everett will leave. Njoku, I wonder about. I really liked him this time last year and the injury seems to have put him to one side. I think he has the ability to be very high up this list. 

• Like 2

I feel like Goedert would be 1C if the Eagles switched his and Ertz' roles. He had some inconsistencies with his hands last year (So did Ertz) and also as a blocker a times, but he's usually a 5th OL out there, and he's more athletic with better yac than Ertz. If he can eventually run routes 90% as well as Ertz, he'd be right there with Kittle as the best all around blocking/receiving TE in the league.

• Like 2

I agree with the Goedert stans. In my post I had him in the same tier as Austin Hooper. With a bigger role and more production he could at the very least jump into the Andrews/Waller tier. I'm still a bit weary of projecting bigger roles as a given, though. People were talking about how good Trey Burton was too when he had a similar reserve role with the Eagles (I think Goedert is better than Burton)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, renndawg37 said:

Still taking Gronk over half these guys tbh 

I want to see a couple game. If he's half of what he was at his peak, he goes right up. That would still be like 600 yards, 6 TDs and more than handy run and pass blocking. But...we'll see.

On 5/7/2020 at 5:36 AM, DerbyRam said:

Higbee was a good blocking TE when he first came in and after last season where they started using him more in the passing game he proved extremely efficient. He has to do it for a season, as a dual threat TE, but it seems like we've given him a deal and I expect Everett will leave. Njoku, I wonder about. I really liked him this time last year and the injury seems to have put him to one side. I think he has the ability to be very high up this list. 

Agreed.  Between his injury, and the failure of the coaching staff last season, I wouldn't take evaluations made on any Browns' player last season as gospel.  Njoku looked poised to breakout last season. I have a hard believing that Njoku wouldn't thrive at his position, and with that talent level, if executed properly, Njoku should be able to easliy creep up into the top 10, if not top 5, by the end of this season.

I am biased, of course, as I felt, at the time, that Njoku was one of the best, if not the best, selection in the 1st Round of the 2017 draft. The dude is extremely athletic and makes some seemingly impossible grabs, at times.

2 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

Agreed.  Between his injury, and the failure of the coaching staff last season, I wouldn't take evaluations made on any Browns' player last season as gospel.  Njoku looked poised to breakout last season. I have a hard believing that Njoku wouldn't thrive at his position, and with that talent level, if executed properly, Njoku should be able to easliy creep up into the top 10, if not top 5, by the end of this season.

I am biased, of course, as I felt, at the time, that Njoku was one of the best, if not the best, selection in the 1st Round of the 2017 draft. The dude is extremely athletic and makes some seemingly impossible grabs, at times.

With how much Stefanski likes to utilize TEs, Njoku should be in for a good season. Like you said, most Browns fans expected him to really breakout last season, but injuries derailed his season, along with seemingly getting into Freddie's doghouse for whatever reason (along with players like Rashard Higgins). Njoku has been inconsistent, but has shown flashes of being really, really good. He can be a monster in the redzone and can be a matchup nightmare, but has had issues with drops and is a liability as a blocker. Still, the dude is only 23 and has shown enough for the Browns to exercise his fifth-year option.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Turnobili said:

I agree with the Goedert stans. In my post I had him in the same tier as Austin Hooper. With a bigger role and more production he could at the very least jump into the Andrews/Waller tier. I'm still a bit weary of projecting bigger roles as a given, though. People were talking about how good Trey Burton was too when he had a similar reserve role with the Eagles (I think Goedert is better than Burton)

For some reason, Burton developed severe anxiety after the eagles SB win. And he was never more than our #3 TE behind Ertz and Celek.