Can a Case be made for Keenum...?

vike daddy

58 minutes ago, Klomp said:

If he goes, I'm glad we got a bit of closure on the Teddy recovery by watching him enter the game to a huge ovation at home. If he had left this offseason without playing a snap, it just wouldn't feel like an appropriate ending to his Vikings career. But now, at least we saw him on the field again.

I wish it was more than just a handoff, Int and a few kneel downs. Doesn't exactly give anyone any info on if he can actually be a decent starting QB going forward.

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I wish it was more than just a handoff, Int and a few kneel downs. Doesn't exactly give anyone any info on if he can actually be a decent starting QB going forward.

My point wasn't whether we had closure on his getting back to starter status, but closure on him simply getting on the field again after all he went through.

1 hour ago, Klomp said:

My point wasn't whether we had closure on his getting back to starter status, but closure on him simply getting on the field again after all he went through.

It was definitely an awesome human moment just to see him back there playing some real football.  Forget the stats, forget the results, playoffs any of it and just remember this kid worked his way back from quite literally a life risking injury to keep on perusing his dream.

I agree it was just cool to see even if it kind of the end for him as a Viking, although, I don't think it is.

The cap space being spent on the QB position, this year, is $22.5M. Kyle Sloter’s contract in 2018 is $500K. 

Assuming both players want to remain in Minnesota, it should be very doable to re-sign both Keenum and Bridgewater in that $22M range, to keep the cap number the same. 

20 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

The cap space being spent on the QB position, this year, is $22.5M. Kyle Sloter’s contract in 2018 is $500K. 

Assuming both players want to remain in Minnesota, it should be very doable to re-sign both Keenum and Bridgewater in that $22M range, to keep the cap number the same. 

With Cap inflation, and likely not signing any big name free agents like we did this year even spending a little more you can look at it like we can spend even a touch more. Newman's contract will likely hit the books for younger talent and numerous other free agents to be replaced in the draft.

I think the max you would want to be around tho is the 26-28M range, outside of that you are getting pretty tied up.

With this team and the talent around it I just think it would be the smart thing to try and get above average QB play from your back-up whether it is Teddy and Case, since in a way you could consider them both unknowns. If one of them doesn't work, then you let them slide the next year and give the pay to the better guy.

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

QB Franchise tag figure is around $25M. Just a number for us to keep in mind.

Yeah, that is a very relevant figure. IMO, that is the number that the Vikings have to hit in order to get Keenum to not test free agency. I am hoping that it will be somewhere under $25M. We'll find out in a couple months when they release the official numbers. 

I like Case, but i think unless he takes this team to the Super bowl he's going to outprice himself out of MIN. I also think Zim & Co really wanna try to finish what they started with Teddy, so i think they will do the best they can to get him back on a short/prove it deal. Otherwise i could see them going after a FA like Tyrod Taylor as a stopgap, assuming Teddy/Case are out of the picture. 

My ideal scenario this offseason is, resign Teddy to a 1-2 year deal & draft a QB. I know im just dreaming but id love to see Lamar Jackson slip to the mid 20's and Rick trade up to get him. Otherwise, i wouldnt mind a guy like Mayfield in the 2nd or if Josh Allen slips somewhere in the 2nd. Alot of people arent projecting MIN to take a QB, but IMO it needs to be at the top of the priority list this offseason to figure out who is our QBOTF moving forward. I personally dont think its Case, and i used to think it was Teddy but the injury has clouded those thoughts. This is a young team with alot of talent, almost a perfect situation for a young QB to come in and grow with the team. Could you imagine the future outlook of this team with an offensive core of Lamar Jackson, Dalvin Cook, Stef Diggs, Thielen, Rudy, maybe a Treadwell thing, and a continued improving Oline? Talk about firepower. 

If I'm being honest, I don't want anything to do with Teddy. Let someone else pay him. If we can get him him as a backup for <$6M per year, then sure, but I don't trust him at all as the "QBOTF". He was average when he was the starter, and I don't trust him at all after the injury.

Sure it is a great story if he comes back, but if you take the emotion out of it, he is a complete unknown at best.

Give me Case. Not even a question. Sign him for 3-4 years to be the starter. The argument that he has no "potential" because he is "old" or that he is only a product of Shurmur's system and will be terrible in any other system is complete nonsense to me.

I'd roll with Keenum and a veteran backup for next year. No problem. 

1 hour ago, Heimdallr said:

If I'm being honest, I don't want anything to do with Teddy. Let someone else pay him. If we can get him him as a backup for <$6M per year, then sure, but I don't trust him at all as the "QBOTF". He was average when he was the starter, and I don't trust him at all after the injury.

Sure it is a great story if he comes back, but if you take the emotion out of it, he is a complete unknown at best.

Give me Case. Not even a question. Sign him for 3-4 years to be the starter. The argument that he has no "potential" because he is "old" or that he is only a product of Shurmur's system and will be terrible in any other system is complete nonsense to me.

You said a key word. It's unknown. That's the biggest thing I see right now. We don't know what we quite have, in either QB.

I wouldn't want to be the team that let him go and then he goes on to have an amazing career. But then again, I don't want to be the team that locks him up longterrm and he turns out to be Brock Osweiler.

But I could make similar arguments for and against Keenum. I'm not saying he doesn't have potential, because we just don't know. But then again, we also don't know what exactly he might do in another system. He wasn't great in STL/LA or Houston. Why couldn't he regress? Not saying he would, but he could.

We don't know.

5 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

So are you saying Bridgewater has no potential? Because that's "complete nonsense" to me.

Bridgewater being "average" as a 22 year old in a bad offensive system with a bad supporting cast built around AP shouldn't be a reason to dismiss him. I understand the injury concern, but the argument that Case does have potential, and that Bridgewater doesn't is sort of contradictory. If Bridgewater is healed there should be no reason beyond the mental hurdles that he can't continue his   upward trajectory. I believe he can.

I think both Keenum and Teddy are severely limited in terms of upside to ever be a top 10 QB. Average is probably the best you can hope for. We know what Keenum can do in this offense and he has no recent injury history. Teddy is several years younger but has been away from football for so long. Just don't see a happy ending for Teddy in MN. 

15 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I think both Keenum and Teddy are severely limited in terms of upside to ever be a top 10 QB. Average is probably the best you can hope for. We know what Keenum can do in this offense and he has no recent injury history. Teddy is several years younger but has been away from football for so long. Just don't see a happy ending for Teddy in MN. 

I don't totally disagree (I'm more optimistic about Teddy), but why pay Keenum that much money over and above what you have to pay Teddy?

I get he's of a more know commodity at this point, but 25M? If neither is a long term answer, pay the cheaper one. Especially if its a difference of 10M vs 22-25M.

Archived