2021 Draft Talk

swede700

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Trey Lance is not an option because he would be gone anyway.  And I like Mac Jones and Trask but that would be a poor pick because DL and OL are more important needs at this time.  It is not like the 2022 draft is awful in terms of QB, you have Spencer Rattler, Sam Howell, Kedon Slovis, Matt Corral and to a lesser extent JT Daniels, Bo Nix, Phil Jurkovec, Michael Penix, Hank Bachmeier, J'Bore Gibbs, Dillon Gabriel and most likely Brock Purdy and Desmond Ridder assuming both return to school etc.  Could argue in terms of number of prospects it could be a deeper QB class in 2022 than 2021 both in terms of high end talent and overall depth.  You get past the first 6-7 in this years draft and the quality goes down pretty quick.  And six could easily be gone in the 1st round. 

Every year, we look at next's QB class and talk about how it's going to be so much better than the current year.  And we fast forward a year, and we're caught with our pants around our ankles with that take.  Jordan Love was supposed to be in the mix for #1 overall.  Jevan Snead was a future #1 overall pick, etc.  If you want to miss out on a guy you project as a franchise QB because you want to draft for need, go right ahead.  That's when you'll be wallowing in your .500 record.  If you don't think that Trey Lance (or any other QB) is a franchise QB, don't draft one.  It's really that simple.  But to pass on because next year's might be better is a great way to lose your job as a GM.

8 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Now if Trey Lance or Zach Wilson is just sitting there, sure those are options at 14 but even though I think both Trask and Jones are 1st round picks I would not take them over the OL and DL help the Vikings need right now when they do not have the cash to really fill the void in free agency and do not have a 2nd round pick either. 

So...you're telling me that if you have Wilson or Lance graded out as top 10 picks, and on the board for the Vikings you'd be okay with them drafting an OL or DL that is a tier (or two) lower instead?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, CWood21 said:

If you're lukewarm on Lance's future, I'd probably agree.  But if you think he's a franchise QB and you pass on him, then you deserve to wallow in mediocrity for the next decade.  You simply do not pass on a franchise QB when the opportunity presents itself.

It would be nice to see the squad invest in a higher upside QB. Outside of the pre blow out knee Culpepper years, this team hasn’t had a top 10 talent at QB during my life.

Watching Lance play, the kid definitely has juice. We’ve seen kids like him translate recently, just you’ll definitely have sustainability, lack of tape, and comp jump questions.

4 hours ago, Purplepride323 said:

The thing is, you can win a Super Bowl with a “mediocre” QB. The Eagles won, not so long ago, with Nick Foles. No knock on Nick Foles, he played some great games, but he’s never been considered a great QB let alone a franchise QB. The point I’m trying to make is, I have faith in Kirk Cousins being a good enough QB to win a Super Bowl. As long as we have a great team and great offensive line in front of him. If we have a top-10 defense again, with our current offensive weapons, and an improved offensive line. I think Kirk Cousins can take us to the playoffs at the very least.

You really can't.  I mean, outside of Nick Foles when was the last time a "mediocre QB" won a Super Bowl?  You'd probably have to go back to 2003 when Brad Johnson won the Super Bowl for the Buccaneers.  That's 2 "mediocre QBs" winning 18 years.  That's not really good odds.  And I'd argue that Nick Foles played like an elite QB in the playoffs.  I'm not sure you'll ever find another backup QB have a hot streak like that.  Just for comparison (and this comes with the usual small sample size warning), but his CMP% would rank 1st amongst all QBs by nearly 2%, his TD% would rank 11th, and his ANY/A would rank 1st by nearly 0.7.  Let that sink in.  What Foles did isn't repeatable.  If Kirk Cousins manages to put up those kind of numbers in the playoffs, I'll eat my own words.  But an OL isn't going to make that happen.

6 hours ago, CWood21 said:

So...you're telling me that if you have Wilson or Lance graded out as top 10 picks, and on the board for the Vikings you'd be okay with them drafting an OL or DL that is a tier (or two) lower instead?

It is on the table sure, but I am saying both will not be there so it is not even really a discussion.  

The chance of this not happening is not very high, Jags and Jets take a QB so now down to Lance and Wilson and Atlanta could take one, Detroit could, Carolina probably will, Denver could and the 49ers probably will most likely.  Sure if all 5 of those teams after the top two pass on those two QBs it is on the table, but no freaking way that happens unless one trades or signs for a vet and clearly that is not very likely either.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

If a highly graded QB is the on the board, you take him. 

Cousins is a big boy. 

I guess I don’t understand why some think that Cousins would wilt at the idea of the Vikings drafting a young QB. Because some no name, never sniffed the NFL, CFL QB made a comment? 

If Cousins is on this team in March, he’s going to be on this team for the remainder of his contract. He’ll be 35 when his contract expires. Kirk is a smart guy. He’s likely self aware enough that he knows that this is his last contract with the Vikings. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I guess I don’t understand why some think that Cousins would wilt at the idea of the Vikings drafting a young QB. Because some no name, never sniffed the NFL, CFL QB made a comment? 

If Cousins is on this team in March, he’s going to be on this team for the remainder of his contract. He’ll be 35 when his contract expires. Kirk is a smart guy. He’s likely self aware enough that he knows that this is his last contract with the Vikings. 

I could see Cousins being on the team in March but not for the remainder of the contract. If the team drafts a QB in the first round and he wins the starting job by the start of the '22 season I have to believe that the Vikings would trade Cousins.

On the other hand, if the Vikings don't draft a QB high I could see Cousins getting another extension going into the '22 season. I don't think the Vikings with Spielman as the GM would let Cousins hit free agency if they didn't have a replacement plan in place.

To me, that is enough reason to consider taking a QB as high as with the Vikings first round pick this year or possibly higher via trade up if they see a franchise QB drop from the top 10.

Edited by Cearbhall

11 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Of course that would be nice, but for once he absolutely played up to that contract in many ways this year.  I disliked the original signing of the dude, but this year is hard not to be impressed with his play. Especially with how badly is started out as, he totally turned it around.

The Vikings are not going to win a SB with Cousins playing poorly, or Cousins playing like he did the last 2/3rds of the season (let's not forget he was about to be run out on a rail, tar and feathered the first five games of the season), until the Vikings are able to greatly reduce his contract numbers.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

If a highly graded QB is the on the board, you take him. 

Cousins is a big boy. 

If Trey Lance and Zach Wilson are both drafted already, who you pick then?  

Just now, Virginia Viking said:

The Vikings are not going to win a SB with Cousins playing poorly, or Cousins playing like he did the last 2/3rds of the season (let's not forget he was about to be run out on a rail, tar and feathered the first five games of the season), until the Vikings are able to greatly reduce his contract numbers.

What do you mean greatly reduce his contract numbers?  Did he not get $40 mil this year and is on track for $21 mil next year and $35 mil the year after?

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

If Trey Lance and Zach Wilson are both drafted already, who you pick then?  

What do you mean greatly reduce his contract numbers?  Did he not get $40 mil this year and is on track for $21 mil next year and $35 mil the year after?

$35 million over two seasons.

5 minutes ago, Virginia Viking said:

$35 million over two seasons.

"The problem with the contract is in the details. As it stands, the third year of Cousins’ deal is not guaranteed, which would mean the Vikings could get out of the deal with only the $10 million prorated signing bonus counting against the cap. However, it is not that simple because Cousins’ $35 million salary in 2022 becomes fully guaranteed on the third day of the 2021 league year.

Therefore, the Vikings have close to an impossible decision in March 2021. They could cut Cousins and prevent the 2022 salary from becoming guaranteed, meaning Cousins would count a whopping $45 million against the cap in 2022 if they did not further restructure his deal. However, cutting Cousins in 2021 to prevent that money in 2022 from becoming guaranteed would mean the Vikings would have to eat the prorated $10 million signing bonuses for both 2021 and 2022 as well as the $21 million in guaranteed salary Cousins is due in 2022."

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/kirk-cousins-contract/

According to this March 2021 is the key day in all of this.  I did not know they could cut him and get out of it some what without losing a ton.  March of this year before the draft mind you....  Say they do that and Lance/Zach Wilson are gone which they will be, then where are you?  A team with Mac Jones or Trask as the starter?  Or worse yet Jake Browning or Nate Stanley?

Those options are not great either, not sure Jones or Trask are a fit for the offense the Vikings run with two TEs most of the time and only two legit receivers out wide, not sure either one would succeed in a system like that.  Lance would be a fit sure but again he is probably long gone.

I do not recall them cutting Cousins contract by $35 million when they signed him to an extension March 2020.

6 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

I see no realistic path for the Vikings to cut Cousins.

And considering how he played, there's no reason for them to do so.  If he'd played more like that Falcons' game all season long, it would made for a more difficult decision, but there is no decision to be made.

• Like 2