Mahomes will surpass Brady as the Goat. True or False?

brownie man

Will Mahomes pass Brady as the GOAT?  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Will Mahomes be the Goat?

• No Mahomes will never surpass Tom Brady
    • Yes one day Patrick Mahomes will be considered the Goat

22 hours ago, Warhorse said:

There are about 10 QB's that truly stand out in the NFL history books. Any fan can point to one as being the best, but it will be about a certain aspect of the position. For instance, if you take Brady and put him in the era of Unitas, with the same nutrition, training, and coaching, he would like get rolled over bad. In the same reasoning, you put Unitas in today's game and he would be lost, getting run over like a diesel combine by hybrid, unpredictable defenses and schemes. For clarity, it is impossible to compare era's.

I never saw Sammy Baugh play, but I have read enough by the experts who did see him, to realize how special he was. One of my top ten, who never gets mentioned in these discussions, is Warren Moon. Saying that his numbers in the CFL don't count, is as ludicrous as trying to compare the numbers between eras that are 30-50 years apart. I do know that Warren did his thing, in two different countries, and in two different games, and was one hell of a QB. Peyton was the best I have ever watched when it came to doing his thing on his own. He was the coach on the field. 

How is it that the number of rings is the deciding factor? Would that not also indicate that Terry Bradshaw is a faaaarrr better QB that Dan Marino? See how silly that is? In the end, I saw premature debates like this coming almost 30 years ago.(Yes, I'm old) I was watching a T-ball game...or maybe it was little league. Every kid was getting their own baseball cards showing them as a winner after the season. I turned to my wife and said, 'This is not good". She asked why, and I pointed to them developing the need for recognition, even instant recognition as they grow as a person. I'm not going to delve deep into this, but...through social media, the younger generation needs recognition so profoundly, that this debate not only exists years before a similar discussion would have happened 40 years ago, but folks really think this is a legitimate comparison. Hell, as a Colts fan, I embarrassingly watched some Colt fans do this with Luck. See how that turned out?

My favorite example of younger fans going overboard, was at a CFB game few years back. The RB broke free from about the 18 yard line and looked to have a clear path to a TD. Guy behind me yelled "Heisman, baby!" However, the FS came over from the opposite side of the field and punched the ball out. The same guy immediately changed his yell to "F^^^^^ loser!" All in the same play. 

Number of rings isn’t the sole factor for the discussion and it’s not Brady’s only argument. 

-Brady has 3 MVP’s, which has him tied for second all time with Farve (Iron Man king), Unitas (who you mentioned), and Jim Brown (who many call the GOAT player). Only behind Manning 

-he’s top 2 all time in passing yards and TD’s and depending on how this year goes has a legitimate shot to pass Brees in touchdowns. 

-one of 3 QB’s to break 50 TD’s in a season

-has the record for most consecutive passes without an interception 

-broke the record for most TD passes with different receivers 

-insane longevity they few players achieve 

-highest win percentage and most wins of all time for a QB 

-top 5 passer rating of all time with everyone ahead of him debuting after him (3 of 4 mostly after the 04 rule changes)

-top 5 in pass int % where literally everything person but him and one other person in the top 10 debuted after him and the rule changes 

This before you even talk about playoffs where Brady has every major record in a run away. He has more wins above .500 than Montana who is second, had the most yards and TD’s, the most SB’s by two and the most MVP’s

So before you even talk about the thing they puts him way over the top he’s already in the upper echelon 

• Like 1

On 5/9/2020 at 8:34 AM, Elky said:

So much stupidity in one post.

Mahomes is already better than Brady ever was when he's only been in the league for 3 seasons? Seriously?

And Mahomes wasn't on a good team with a good coach? Are we going to ignore the fact that Andy Reid has been a head coach since 1998 and not only has both Philly and KC have been perennial playoffs contenders under him, he's made scrubs like A.J. Feeley and past-his-prime Jeff Garica look like starters?

You claim he's the SOLE reason they won the SB (ignoring how poorly he played for the majority of it), but then you say it's a team effort. Which is it?

None of this matters. Mahomes is the "one", Anakin, Jesus Christ, Neo

He is right up there in terms of football talent 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 3:59 AM, brownie man said:

I’m going to say yes. 

He might not win multiple superbowls, but if he’ stays healthy I think Mahomes will be considered the greatest Quarterback of all time once he’s career is over. 

He'll have to win multiple Super Bowls to be considered the GOAT QB.  Super Bowls victories aren't the only things that matter, but you can't be considered the best ever with only one or even two wins.  You have to dominate your era--regular season wins, playoff wins, SB wins, and individual stats and accolades all combined.

2 hours ago, jg77 said:

The bigger question is...if Pats get back to the Superbowl next season will Brady even be considered the GOAT anymore?

Well it's not going to happen. So, no problem there.

How about if Bucs also do? Is he still the GOAT? :D

On 5/9/2020 at 10:17 AM, Chiefer said:

Eh he’s always got the run to fall back on it’s never been something that defined his quality. 

futures in modern medicine man I’m telling ya

We have star players retiring by the age of 30 more than ever. I don't think any form of modern medicine will outgrow the brute of the game. 

Tom Brady isn’t the best quarterback of all time to me. But I don’t know if Patrick Mahomes can outperform him in championships. Skill-wise, he is better and the league is set up for huge passing stats. But the Chiefs will have to be stout on defense for a long time in the same way New England was for him to have a chance. 

I don't think Andy Reid will be coaching long enough for the Chiefs to have a run like the Patriots had.  Mahomes and Brady are just so different that it's hard to compare them anyway.  BOTH of them are great, and that's all that I care about.

1 hour ago, Nex_Gen said:

We have star players retiring by the age of 30 more than ever. I don't think any form of modern medicine will outgrow the brute of the game. 

Also have players, particularly QBs lasting till 40. 

Never really know, a lot of luck at play in regards to injuries 

It's far too soon to tell. All I can say is that it'll be damn near impossible for Mahomes and the Chiefs to top what Brady and Belichick did in the Post-Season. 6 SB wins and 9 appearances as well as 8 straight AFC title appearances. The best case for Mahomes to be the GOAT would be to topple Manning's ridiculous 5 MVPs or come close.  

13 hours ago, sportjames23 said:

He'll have to win multiple Super Bowls to be considered the GOAT QB.  Super Bowls victories aren't the only things that matter, but you can't be considered the best ever with only one or even two wins.  You have to dominate your era--regular season wins, playoff wins, SB wins, and individual stats and accolades all combined.

Ok let me rephrase that. 

I meant t say. I think 3 is the number. If he can get 3 and keep up the pace he’s on now I believe he can definitely be the Goat. 

but I don’t think he’s gotta get more than 2 more.