NCAA Scandal

11sanchez11

Multiple news outlets reporting that Rick Pitino is Coach-2 in the report. Even as a Kentucky fan, I feel bad for Ricky here. His great basketball mind and coaching ability is forever tarnished if he really is Coach-2. It involves direct involvement with Adidas.

As a reminder, here is what the report said of Coach-2:

First, GATTO, CODE, DAWKINS, and SOOD worked together to funnel $100,000 from Company-1 to the family of a high school basketball player (“Player-10”) in exchange for Player-10’s commitment to play at an NCAA Division I university whose athletic programs are sponsored by Company-1 (“University-6”), and in further exchange for a commitment from Player-10 to retain DAWKINS and SOOD, and to sign with Company-1, once Player-10 joined the NBA.  DAWKINS told CW-1 and others on a recorded conversation that he did so at the request of a coach at University-6 (“Coach-2”), and call records show that GATTO spoke directly with Coach-2 multiple times in the days before Player-10 publicly committed to attending University-6. 

http://www.oregonlive.com/recruiting/index.ssf/2017/09/arizona_wildcats_allegedly_pai.html

"On a second call later that same day, Code discussed with Gatto, in sum and substance... the scheme to facilitate payments to Player-12 [Little] in order to secure Player-12's commitment to attend University-7 [Miami]. Code explained that another Division I university ("University-4') [Arizona] was offering Player-12 $150,000 'and  we're trying to keep him from going to one of their schools.' "

49 minutes ago, Oregon Ducks said:

I think that is just bad writing/not being specific. They already said the Universities were the victims, they said the HCs weren't involved and they were writing about Book Richardson by name (and I don't think it was in the ~13 page section about Book). So my question is then what does it mean by U4's offer? The context was Adidas (or company-x) offering some amount of money to stop him (I think P12 is Nassir Little) from going to a rival company school (UA, Nike).

I think that part is about companies offering Litte's AAU coach money to go to their companies school. And they just used U-4 because that is where one of the companies were paying his AAU coach to convince him to go to.

Actually, even better. It was just Little's AAU coach who said that to try and get Adidas to pay more.

Two people involved in the case, who spoke on the condition they not be identified because of the ongoing legal proceedings, said they expect more college coaches and others involved with grassroots basketball programs to be charged later this month.

“This is the tip of the iceberg,” one of them said.

One former high-major college coach who retains deep connections in the business said he believes the case will lead to 40 to 50 job openings for head and assistant coaches by the spring.

Already, some coaches at schools not linked to the first round of charges have retained attorneys. A sense of unease permeates the sport during a time usually filled with optimism because the season opens next month.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-college-basketball-scandal-20171010-story.html

Archived