The Jets and Jamal Adams

RaidersAreOne

7 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

So much wrong with this post.

Obviously Adams has his whole career to go but open your eyes.  The guy is special.  You'd be hard pressed to find 10 defensive players in the entire league more impactful than Adams.  He'd have a good shot at being in the top 5 and you think he's a fringe top 5 safety.  Lol ok.

FWIW, I don’t think Adams is the bonafide best safety like most of the Jet fans seem to be thinking he is. And that’s not downplaying Mal. But Eddie Jackson and Kevin Byard have some seriously good claim on that throne, it’s not a slam dunk for Adams.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

Is it tho? 

It is.  Who in the world would the trade the better player with more control contract wise for the lesser player who needs to be paid immediately.  The Jets don't want to pay Adams early, doesn't mean they don't want to pay him at all.  Yet some are suggest trading him for a lesser player just to shell money earlier.  What planet are we on.  I mean it's pretty clearly a dumb trade for the Jets.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Ok then just lose him when his contract is up. That sounds much better. 

It's amazing you garnered a like for this comment.  I mean I didn't know with 3 years of control left for the Jets that their only options were swap him for Yannick now or lose him for nothing.  

I'd take the picks over Yannick all day every day.  I'm not for paying premium money for a non premium player in Yannick.

Again the Jets will likely end up paying Adams next year.  Their cap is in a great position long term and they just want to see how this whole crisis plays out before shelling out money when they don't have too.  Very few teams pay their players in year 3 of a 5 year deal even the great players.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

FWIW, I don’t think Adams is the bonafide best safety like most of the Jet fans seem to be thinking he is. And that’s not downplaying Mal. But Eddie Jackson and Kevin Byard have some seriously good claim on that throne, it’s not a slam dunk for Adams.

They are both great players for sure.  I just think Adams has zero weakness to his game.  The ultimately swiss army knife that can do anything.  Those players are special and I don't think you can say that about Jackson or Byard.

Hate to use PFF bit Adams is the only safety that ranks in the top 10 in every category from coverage, tackling, blitzing, run stopping.  

8 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Tyran Mathieu. Should have been DPOY last year.

5 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

It is.  Who in the world would the trade the better player with more control contract wise for the lesser player who needs to be paid immediately.  The Jets don't want to pay Adams early, doesn't mean they don't want to pay him at all.  Yet some are suggest trading him for a lesser player just to shell money earlier.  What planet are we on.  I mean it's pretty clearly a dumb trade for the Jets.

211 pressures since 2016, only Von Miller and Donald have more in that span.

I’m on a planet where DL is more valuable than S. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

They are both great players for sure.  I just think Adams has zero weakness to his game.  The ultimately swiss army knife that can do anything.  Those players are special and I don't think you can say that about Jackson or Byard.

Hate to use PFF bit Adams is the only safety that ranks in the top 10 in every category from coverage, tackling, blitzing, run stopping.  

Most people agreed, Ed>Troy. Who was the better blitzer? Troy. Who was the better tackler? Troy. Who was the better against the run? Troy. Who was more of a Swiss Army knife? Troy. Were those two asked to do different things? Of course. It’s a lot like comparing Byard/Jackson to Adams (just a style comparison, not a quality one). But being more versatile doesn’t make you better, outright. 

I don’t think Mal is weak in coverage but he certainly isn’t the turnover machine or ballhawk that those two are. And they’ve both been there pretty much since they took over as starters, whereas just a season ago Adams wasn’t some sort of beast in coverage. 

24 minutes ago, KhanYouDigIt said:

211 pressures since 2016, only Von Miller and Donald have more in that span.

I’m on a planet where DL is more valuable than S. 

Pressure aren't sacks. Leo was a monster at accumulating pressures too, but little good that did us.

7 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

Very few teams pay their players in year 3 of a 5 year deal even the great players.  

Cowboys - Paid Zeke going into his 4th year.

Eagles - Paid Lane Johnson going into his 4th year. 

Rams - Paid Todd Gurley going into his 4th season.

Panthers - Paid Luke Kuechly going into his 4th year. 

Texans - Paid JJ Watt going into his 4th year. 

Cardinals - Paid Patrick Peterson going into his 4th year. 

So on and so forth, not going through the whole league. Teams don’t seem to have an issue paying their elite guys after the 3rd season. Certainly not “very few” teams doing it.

1 hour ago, NJerseypaint said:

Pressure aren't sacks. Leo was a monster at accumulating pressures too, but little good that did us.

By the same token, sacks can be misleading. There's a reason why a lot of people didn't buy into Vic Beasley even after 16 sacks his second year (he had mediocre pressure numbers). They should work in tandem, obviously, but consistent pressures should lead to bigger sack numbers in theory. Especially on the edge.  I'd rather have Yannick at those big pressure numbers than someone putting up 11 sacks but half as many pressures. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

By the same token, sacks can be misleading. There's a reason why a lot of people didn't buy into Vic Beasley even after 16 sacks his second year (he had mediocre pressure numbers). They should work in tandem, obviously, but consistent pressures should lead to bigger sack numbers in theory. Especially on the edge.  I'd rather have Yannick at those big pressure numbers than someone putting up 11 sacks but half as many pressures. 

Pressure is such a arbitrary stat.  If you make the the QB slide to his left but still completes a pass is that still a pressure?  

What really constitutes a pressure?  You get a sack that is an impact play it counts as a down and negative yards.  How many pressures result in positive yards for the offense?  Not totally discounting pressures because getting the QB off his spot can result in incompletions or something better but it's such an arbitrary stat.  Like @NJerseypaint said leo was the king of the almost sack.  Not looking to pay 18M to like Yannick for almost sacks.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Yin-Yang said:

Cowboys - Paid Zeke going into his 4th year.

Eagles - Paid Lane Johnson going into his 4th year. 

Rams - Paid Todd Gurley going into his 4th season.

Panthers - Paid Luke Kuechly going into his 4th year. 

Texans - Paid JJ Watt going into his 4th year. 

Cardinals - Paid Patrick Peterson going into his 4th year. 

So on and so forth, not going through the whole league. Teams don’t seem to have an issue paying their elite guys after the 3rd season. Certainly not “very few” teams doing it.

"Very few" certainly holds true when you found 6 players over the the past 9 seasons that includes over 250 first round picks.

2 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

"Very few" certainly holds true when you found 6 players over the the past 9 seasons that includes over 250 first round picks.

Since you took it upon yourself to nitpick 6 examples as if he should list every single one, curious how many "Elite" players you can list from the 250 you so nonchalantly threw out there? Go......!

Most GM'S with the foresight to not only recognize Elite talent but the ever increasing payscale would rather lock up that Stud in year 3 , then wait 2 more years which will undoubtedly increase that contract number (baring injury). Howie Roseman has done it for years.

Edited by Nabbs4u