Most overrated individual seasons?

Elky

16 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Ooo oo...what about THAT season from Nnamdi Asomugha? He was the first name on EVERYONE'S players of the season...but it turned out, what, that it was just a good scheme?

Nnamdi was great for more than one season. 

And it's not like he benefited from great defensive scheme from a great coach or a ton of top tier around him. 

It's more like he didn't fit at all on the Eagles more zone heavy scheme. 

I do think Asomugha benefited from playing on a terrible team and defense and thus faced less passes in general with teams often building big leads and being able to pick on literally anyone else with great success, but I wouldn't consider Asomugha or his best season overrated necessarily. He was a phenomenal man corner, but he wasn't a super well rounded corner capable of dominating in any scheme. Most players benefit from scheme, coaching and talent around them. It always seemed obvious to me that Aso wasn't going to succeed if he left somewhere and teams expected him to be a zone corner. 

• Like 1

On 6/1/2020 at 4:19 PM, DannyB said:

...What?

One of the main arguments for Brees is that, for as many thing as he HAS been given to benefit his play and numbers, he virtually NEVER has had an apex receiving threat, a true alpha. He briefly had Jimmy Graham, but that was a blip on the radar. He's consistently had a solid, deep group of decent-to-good reliable receivers, and that shouldn't be ignored, but he's never had a receiver at the level of Harrison, Wayne, OBJ, Gronk, Moss, A. Brown, Jordy Nelson, Antonio Gates, etc.

Now, before people start yelling at me: He has one NOW. Michael Thomas qualifies. But that's 3 years, and Brees had been putting comparable numbers up for a decade before that.

Brees has transitioned pretty seamlessly over his career from Gates, to Colston, to Graham, to Thomas. Now, Colston and Graham aren't on the level of a Gates or a Moss, but if you're throwing names like Reggie Wayne and Jordy Nelson in there, guys like Graham are absolutely on that level. Like, Nelson and Colston has VERY similar careers, honestly.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Was Albert Haynesworth really worth 100+ million after that season in Tennessee?

I think it was really two seasons. But no, he probably wasn't.

Haynesworth is such a weird one looking back, to me. That contract was an overpay from the moment they offered it, but at the same time, everyone knew he was going to get huge money. It was rumored that Tampa offered him something comparable. And a back to back first team all-pro at DT was going to get paid something huge regardless. But it's kind of weird to think back that he had a 5 year career before that first all-pro where he kind of...didn't do anything. He was a crazy late bloomer, for that level of play. His sack and turnover numbers from 2002-2006 total were pretty similar to what he did in 2008 alone. Looking back, I'm not sure I could tell you where his 07/08 play came from, or where it just as quickly went.

Because his peak was that good. I don't think he's a fit for this thread, because he was legit dominant in 07 and 08. Not like, Aaron Donald or J.J. Watt level, but quality wise I'd compare it to say, what Chris Jones has done these past two years. He was standing out in a league that still had peak Kevin Williams.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

Brees has transitioned pretty seamlessly over his career from Gates, to Colston, to Graham, to Thomas. Now, Colston and Graham aren't on the level of a Gates or a Moss, but if you're throwing names like Reggie Wayne and Jordy Nelson in there, guys like Graham are absolutely on that level. Like, Nelson and Colston has VERY similar careers, honestly.

I mentioned Graham, but his peak was pretty brief (which I also mentioned).

Nelson is SUPERIOR to Colston in almost every way as a wide receiver, and I was a big Colston fan. Same with Reggie Wayne.

I'm not trying to make it sound like Brees has had nothing around him. He's always had a solid corps of receivers to go to. In fact, he's always had good depth to choose from, which I actually think is more important than having a single apex-level receiver. But if you lined up the weapons available to the notable QBs over the past 20 years, I don't think the top end of Brees's would stack up favorably to most others.