Most overrated individual seasons?

Elky

18 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

i don't disagree that peak rodgers is quite comparable to mahomes, though personally i'd still rate mahomes's combo of athleticism + arm a tick higher. rodgers's 2011 season was in @Starless's original list and rightfully so.

My only point was he said Pat does things no other QB is able to. Thats hyperbole.

9 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

Whatever happens. He’s still much better than Dak

Dak has ~55 games (cumulative) better than Wentz with a 9 game stretch where he is worse.

Wentz has a 9 game stretch where he is better than Dak, but is worse the rest of his ~50 game career (cumulative). 

But Wentz is better. lmao. Never change FF.com. Never Change.

BTW - Did you see that *multiple* Eagles beat writers and publications have all said Dak is better than Wentz? But I am sure a Rams fan is better informed than the people paid to cover the Eagles. Smart. 

Edited by Matts4313

Just now, JustAnotherFan said:

It's like the label "Franchise QB" that gets thrown around too loosely. It just doesn't makes no sense to me. 

Franchise QB was always easily explained by the Dalton line. What is the absolute worst your QB can play before you replace them? As long as they are above that, they are a franchise QB.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Matts4313 said:

Franchise QB was always easily explained by the Dalton line. What is the absolute worst your QB can play before you replace them? As long as they are above that, they are a franchise QB.

As a Bears fan, I'll even take it a step further when I was consistently being told that Jay Cutler was franchise QB lol. 

4 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Hmm, I tend to think of the term as a slightly higher of a standard, although it's pretty similar: A franchise QB means the team is perfectly happy with the quarterback, and barring age or injury, is making not legitimate plans or attempts to change. I think Dalton hovered close to this, but I feel like if most teams had Dalton, they'd be constantly keeping one eye on the possibility of upgrading, if the right circumstances came. I just don't think the opportunity ever really presented itself to the Bengals before now, and given how content the owner is to just kinda coast, they weren't really trying.

I think of Stafford as kinda the bottom of the "franchise QB" list. He's good enough for the most part, and can be successful with a fair team around him. I think of "franchise QB" as being kind of a stamp of legitimacy. Doesn't mean you're an MVP candidate every year, but you are firmly entrenched and your team is happy with you.

I dunno, your version is technically pretty close I guess, just a subtle difference in how I think about it. I suppose for a few years Dalton may have been, or was on his way, but I don't think he got there. Cincy just didn't know what else to do and/or care to do it.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, DannyB said:

your version is technically pretty close I guess

Just fyi, the "Dalton line" isnt my version. Its been used by everyone from NFL commentators to regular joes like us for like 6-7 years.

Best maintenance of the Dalton Scale: Andy Dalton

For those poor souls who don't listen to the Around the NFL podcast, the "Dalton Scale" is Chris Wesseling's inarguable theory that explains quarterback play in the NFL. If your starting quarterback is worse than Andy Dalton, you need a new quarterback. Anyone above the line is a long-term option. Jay Cutler is now on the wrong side of the Dalton scale. Ryan Tannehill has risen above.

Dalton's 2014 season shows how he perfectly straddles the middle tier of NFL quarterbacks. He's had a few disastrous moments: the shutout in Indy, the "TNF" meltdown against the Browns and the three-pick first half against the Bucs. But he's mixed in a few excellent showings and stayed out of the way more often than not. Dalton is surrounded by great talent this year; he can struggle in a 30-0 win. It all adds up to 7.2 yards-per-attempt, 15 touchdowns, 14 interceptions, and continued status as the prime meridian of quarterback play.

https://www.nfl.com/news/qb-index-awards-0ap3000000445375

The Dalton Line, the creation of NFL Media’s Chris Wesseling, is a fascinating yet simple concept: In the hierarchy of NFL quarterbacks, which player is the “worst” of the acceptable franchise quarterbacks?

Andy Dalton was considered that guy back when the concept was first developed — hence the name. He was just good enough to build around, but if you had a quarterback below him, you were probably in the market for a new one.

Edited by Matts4313

8 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Just fyi, the "Dalton line" isnt my version. Its been used by everyone from NFL commentators to regular joes like us for like 6-7 years

Yeah I get it, but when they use the term "franchise quarterback" there (a nebulous term), I guess to me I picture what they're describing as the Mendoza line, or, as was coined a long time ago, the "Kordoza" line, for Kordell Stewart. To me, that's the line for like...being an acceptable starter. Whereas I think a "franchise QB" is a slight step higher, in either short term level of performance or longer term consistency.

For example, I think Kirk Cousins has always stayed on the right side of the Kordoza line, but I don't think I'd label him a franchise quarterback.  He's always just teetering between looking like it has all come together, and kinda crapping his pants.

Again, that's just how my brain processes it.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Danger said:
8 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Its overrated because Checkdown Carson has never played that well before or after those 9 games and he never will. 

Your trolling is hilarious.

Why do you keep saying 9 gms, not 13? Even in the 2 Loses the Eagles had that year when Wentz was 11-2 he threw for almost 700 yds, 3TD, 2INT and had 85 yds Rushing.

Overrated would be Daks Rookie year, when he jumped on Zekes back as the Captain of all Check down Charlies.🍺

• Like 2

- Aldon Smith's good season came to mind. Seemed to have a lot of enabling pieces around him

Was Chris Johnson's 09 season overrated? I'm not sure, I only ask because it seems he hasn't been close since.

Peyton Hillis Madden Cover season has to an overrated season?

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Why do you keep saying 9 gms, not 13? Even in the 2 Loses the Eagles had that year when Wentz was 11-2 he threw for almost 700 yds, 3TD, 2INT and had 85 yds Rushing.

Overrated would be Daks Rookie year, when he jumped on Zekes back as the Captain of all Check down Charlies.🍺

Because it doesnt fit Matts narrative

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:

- Aldon Smith's good season came to mind. Seemed to have a lot of enabling pieces around him

Was Chris Johnson's 09 season overrated? I'm not sure, I only ask because it seems he hasn't been close since.

Peyton Hillis Madden Cover season has to an overrated season?

I assume you mean the year before the cover. He is up there at the top of madden curses. Looked like baby mike alstott for a year then disappears.