Most overrated individual seasons?

Elky

Derek Carr 2016

Obviously a great season, but really not elite in any category. It was a shock to me that he recieved votes for MVP over Matt Ryan. His completion percentage (63.8%), yards per attempt (7), adjusted yards per attempt (7.5), passer rating (96.7), total TDs (28), and TD percentage (5%) can all be described as average to above average, in my opinion. Only his (almost) 5-1 TD/INT ratio was noteworthy. 

As long as I’m at it, the Raiders in general were overrated in 2016. I think Carr got a lot of credit that year for being the most recognizable player on a massively overachieving Raiders team. That team went 8-1 in one score games and won 4 games by 3 or less points. They won two games by just 1 point. 

To be fair I do think Carr’s career since 2016 has led many to look back on that season more objectively. But this sticks out to me as a Chiefs fan because I was screaming from the rooftops In 2016 that the Raiders were a paper tiger. 

On 5/30/2020 at 5:28 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

- Aldon Smith's good season came to mind. Seemed to have a lot of enabling pieces around him

Was Chris Johnson's 09 season overrated? I'm not sure, I only ask because it seems he hasn't been close since.

Peyton Hillis Madden Cover season has to an overrated season?

Aldon smiths season is entirely thanks fo Justin smiths greatness. 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 10:46 PM, DannyB said:

He sat for his first year, and missed a solid chunk of his 3rd season.

I understand that but he still had quiet a bit of starts probably between 70-80 that's a decent sample size. I'm not writing him off as a run of the mill QB that's impossible to do I'm just saying New Orleans was a crazy situation to land into for him as a player. He's not in the top 5 QB discussion with another organization post millennial. It's equivalent to a player on peds in my opinion in results. His last year with the Chargers just looking at yardage not 1st downs, tds, passing attempts etc. His last year there he averaged a career high at the time 223 yards per game. He's been over 300 8 years of his tenure in New Orleans that's bananas.

That's a significant increase heck averaged 342 one season. The guy is great but it would be a different narrative for other franchises is all I'm saying.

If he's in Eli's situation as a Giant lacking talent on offense throughout his tenure he doesn't sniff those star wars numbers.

Where as a guy like Peyton I can't really say that because he made Julius Thomas a house hold name lol. 

6 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

If he's in Eli's situation as a Giant lacking talent on offense throughout his tenure he doesn't sniff those star wars numbers.

Where as a guy like Peyton I can't really say that because he made Julius Thomas a house hold name lol. 

Ah yes, that notoriously talent-bereft Broncos offense in 2013! Poor Peyton had to make do with such garbage.

As for Brees, if we were PURELY going by numbers, we'd call him the best quarterback of all time. But I think most people, when they think about it, are able to properly contextualize his accomplishments: Yes, for SURE a great quarterback. Would have been great anywhere he went. However, he was put into a very uniquely advantageous situation to maximize offense, and thus the video game numbers.

To say he doesn't SNIFF those numbers seems slightly off to me. Eli Manning put up massive yardage at times, and I don't doubt Brees could have matched that or better. He's undoubtedly a better quarterback.

43 minutes ago, Danger said:

I mean. Trubisky is garbage. It's been made apparent. I said it in 2018. I said it in April 2017. The dude is not good. The guy is a bust.

Most likely.

However, I don't know of anyone holding up his '18 season as proof that he's actually great.

Do you? 

• Like 1

On 5/29/2020 at 9:38 PM, Matts4313 said:

Pat had a ton of splash plays. But "no other QB would be able to make" is pure hyperbole. Most QBs dont attempt throws with that degree of difficulty, but plenty of them can do it. 

If other QB's can do them then how come they don't? It obviously leads to success...

14 hours ago, DannyB said:

Ah yes, that notoriously talent-bereft Broncos offense in 2013! Poor Peyton had to make do with such garbage.

As for Brees, if we were PURELY going by numbers, we'd call him the best quarterback of all time. But I think most people, when they think about it, are able to properly contextualize his accomplishments: Yes, for SURE a great quarterback. Would have been great anywhere he went. However, he was put into a very uniquely advantageous situation to maximize offense, and thus the video game numbers.

To say he doesn't SNIFF those numbers seems slightly off to me. Eli Manning put up massive yardage at times, and I don't doubt Brees could have matched that or better. He's undoubtedly a better quarterback.

You miss understood everything I said about Manning he had weapons on offense but Julius Thomas was nothing before Manning and was nothing when he left Manning. He had back to back 12 TD years with Manning that's impressive.

As far as Brees I stand by what I said had he not gone too New Orleans there's no reason not to think he's not in the Mathew Stafford hemisphere of QBs. Yes Brees was a probowl qb with San Diego but I don't think he had the tragectory of a hall of famer.

Change of scenery can do wonders for players though look at Tannehill in Miami he was a Jag who was injured his last two years. He goes to Tennessee and is borderline a top 5 QB and a probowler went to the title game. His talent didn't change but his scenery did.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

You miss understood everything I said about Manning he had weapons on offense but Julius Thomas was nothing before Manning and was nothing when he left Manning. He had back to back 12 TD years with Manning that's impressive.

I mean I understand the argument around Brees benefitting from playing with Payton - though I think it's overstated, and Payton has had Brees for his entire head coaching career so he's benefitted as much if not more from the relationship - but I really don't see how one could argue Brees has been gifted these incredible weapons. Early on in his Saints tenure he helped turn a 7th round rookie Marques Colston into a star. Jimmy Graham was a record breaker with Brees and has been crap everywhere else he went in his career. He's had Michael Thomas for the past couple of years but just looking at how Thomas has made his living it's fair to suggest he wouldn't be as successful as a mega possession guy without a QB as accurate as Brees. 

In between you had Brees helping convince people that guys like Devery Henderson, Robert Meacham, and Willie Snead were genuine NFL weapons. He definitely has not had some insane offensive supporting cast propping him up. 

• Like 1