Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep.  We’ve got 3 more seasons to get a deal done.  There’s no need to make the decision now. 

Let’s see how things go with Cletus out of the picture and a much improved OL.

If our draft pick and Conklin ball out then last year's offense may work. Freddie's issue was not adjusting the offense to 3 subpar offensive linemen being trotted out there all year long. I thought he would adjust until about midseason and then I gave up.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If our draft pick and Conklin ball out then last year's offense may work. Freddie's issue was not adjusting the offense to 3 subpar offensive linemen being trotted out there all year long. I thought he would adjust until about midseason and then I gave up.

Yeah I gave him the benefit of the doubt as much as possible, but he just couldn’t figure it out.

28 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

The Denver game was the breaking point for me.

For most of us.  Between that loss and Myles being done for the year, we were toast and we knew it.  Laid an egg in a must win.  The defense looked like they quit tbh.

11 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

The defense was worse than the offense last year. We were atrocious schematically and atrocious tackling at safety and cb. Our offense was just poorly constructed, but you could see we had talent. 

I'll say it:

Aside from Hue Jackson, Steve Wilks is probably the worst coach in any capacity that we've had since this organization returned in 1999. We took 2 young press man CB, one of whom was a pro bowler, and one of whom was drafted high as a press man/long CB, and played a bunch of Cover 3/4, our LB and DT lacked any semblance of gap integrity, we had ZERO edge setting from a safety/overhang defender, and no one can run the alley or tackle on the perimeter. Aside from that, playing a 3 S system when we didn't even have a single good one and a bunch of Nickel personnel packages against teams like Tennessee and Baltimore was nothing short of stupid.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I'll say it:

Aside from Hue Jackson, Steve Wilks is probably the worst coach in any capacity that we've had since this organization returned in 1999. We took 2 young press man CB, one of whom was a pro bowler, and one of whom was drafted high as a press man/long CB, and played a bunch of Cover 3/4, our LB and DT lacked any semblance of gap integrity, we had ZERO edge setting from a safety/overhang defender, and no one can run the alley or tackle on the perimeter. Aside from that, playing a 3 S system when we didn't even have a single good one and a bunch of Nickel personnel packages against teams like Tennessee and Baltimore was nothing short of stupid.

Disagree.

Wilks was well thought of prior to coming here and had some level of success in Carolina.  He was thought of as a bright up and comer. His system was an atrocious fit, but a lot of that responsibly was on Dorsey.  The overall talent on defense was subpar, but especially at safety which is a key position in Wilks’ defense.  Add in the injuries and suspensions and he was trying to cobble together a defense week to week.

Freddie has 4 pro bowl skill position players, vets at 4/5 OL spots and a young qb who just set the rookie TD record the year before and couldn’t manage to put a competent product on the field. He wasnt highly thought of prior to coming here and has never been a coordinator or HC.

Dorsey was duped by Freddie, but it was at least a little obvious as to who was helping Baker in ‘18 (at least internally) as Wiley said as much last summer.  On top of all that he trashed weekly planning in favor of winging it on game day and refused to let a proven OC call plays when things were not going well.

Freddie was worse.  As much as I wanted it to work out with him, he was atrocious. 

• Like 4

55 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Disagree.

tenor.gif

Wilks was well thought of prior to coming here and had some level of success in Carolina.  He was thought of as a bright up and comer. His system was an atrocious fit, but a lot of that responsibly was on Dorsey.  The overall talent on defense was subpar, but especially at safety which is a key position in Wilks’ defense.  Add in the injuries and suspensions and he was trying to cobble together a defense week to week.

I wholeheartedly agree that Dorsey is the one who should be blamed here on the scheme fit given the personnel that he drafted and acquired (Ward, Greedy, Randall). That said, he was exposed before the injuries and suspensions. The run defense was AWFUL, and that's with a Pro Bowl MLB in Schobert, Myles/Ogunjobi/Richardson, a Pro Bowl CB in Ward, a young long/press CB in Greedy, and Randall coming off of a great year as a ball hawking S.

Freddie has 4 pro bowl skill position players, vets at 4/5 OL spots and a young qb who just set the rookie TD record the year before and couldn’t manage to put a competent product on the field. He wasnt highly thought of prior to coming here and has never been a coordinator or HC.

It was Murphy's law in that situation. You hire Freddie, and you're a moron that hired an unproven HC without much experience on a loaded roster with high expectations. If you let him walk, you're a moron that let the best thing offensively with your young QB in Baker having an unbelievable 2nd half season as a rookie/major win momentum down the stretch walk out the door and land somewhere else. 

Dorsey was duped by Freddie, but it was at least a little obvious as to who was helping Baker in ‘18 (at least internally) as Wiley said as much last summer.  On top of all that he trashed weekly planning in favor of winging it on game day and refused to let a proven OC call plays when things were not going well.

Freddie was worse.  As much as I wanted it to work out with him, he was atrocious. 

I still believe that Freddie is/was simply not built to be a HC and do that day to day stuff that fell within his job responsibility, sucked at delegating, and likely is a better offensive scheme mind and maybe playcaller who did a bunch of stuff badly.

Good DC's are also able to run various concepts/schemes effectively. Pigeon holing an entire scheme and refusing to use your personnel effectively/not even having a mixer of base packages that utilize man/press man or a hybrid odd/even front is 100% ON HIM.

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

tenor.gif

Chef’s kiss

I wholeheartedly agree that Dorsey is the one who should be blamed here on the scheme fit given the personnel that he drafted and acquired (Ward, Greedy, Randall). That said, he was exposed before the injuries and suspensions. The run defense was AWFUL, and that's with a Pro Bowl MLB in Schobert, Myles/Ogunjobi/Richardson, a Pro Bowl CB in Ward, a young long/press CB in Greedy, and Randall coming off of a great year as a ball hawking S.

we had a lot of injuries though.  I’m not sure if our projected defensive backfield at the start of the year even played a game together.  Both CB’s and both ends out at the same time, etc.. 

It was Murphy's law in that situation. You hire Freddie, and you're a moron that hired an unproven HC without much experience on a loaded roster with high expectations. If you let him walk, you're a moron that let the best thing offensively with your young QB in Baker having an unbelievable 2nd half season as a rookie/major win momentum down the stretch walk out the door and land somewhere else. 

yeah Dorsey was in an incredibly tough position, but from what people have reported, it shouldn’t have been too hard to determine he wasn’t ready when you’re privy to the behind the scenes info.

I still believe that Freddie is/was simply not built to be a HC and do that day to day stuff that fell within his job responsibility, sucked at delegating, and likely is a better offensive scheme mind and maybe playcaller who did a bunch of stuff badly.

Good DC's are also able to run various concepts/schemes effectively. Pigeon holing an entire scheme and refusing to use your personnel effectively/not even having a mixer of base packages that utilize man/press man or a hybrid odd/even front is 100% ON HIM.

I think it’s fair to say last year’s coaching was all around atrocious.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

My biggest concern is the same as it was last year. Defensive scheme. I don’t like woods zone heavy defense with our corners. Are corners are ideal in man to man. Zone is doing a huge disservice to our defensive backfield. 

He straight up said we will be a man team because of our personnel. I thought the same thing initially. 

3 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

He straight up said we will be a man team because of our personnel. I thought the same thing initially. 

I didnt hear this. But I’ll believe it when I see it. I can’t tell you how many coaches I’ve seen come through here saying they’ll play to the strengths of their players and end up forcing their system. 

• Like 2