Browns General Discussion

candyman93

17 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I didnt hear this. But I’ll believe it when I see it. I can’t tell you how many coaches I’ve seen come through here saying they’ll play to the strengths of their players and end up forcing their system. 

Yeah guess we'll see. I'm not even that opposed to zone as long as we move Greedy and Ward up in the face of the receivers so they don't have space to catch dumps and break tackles. I don't hate zone philosophically. I just hate playing off zone that gifts the offense free, cheap, and easy yardage. Especially when we have secondary players that aren't known for their tackling.

If we can get some freaking players to fill in the alleys and play gap sound football, I don't care what coverage we play. We have to fix the run defense and it starts with our C & D gaps improving. We had no semblance of an edge the last two years. Like...pre-snap you could see we were about to get destroyed outside. I don't understand wtf we were doing schematically.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Zone coverage is not a bad scheme.

Pittsburgh has ran it for as long as they’ve ran a 3-4.

Seattles LOB ran it.

Buffalo and Chicago now run zone coverage.

It’s just man coverage is the more dominant scheme.

You can run it, but you better have DB's that can whack you. You can't have skirts playing in your secondary if you're going to play zone. And as much as I like our secondary, we have some skirts back there. Plus, man defenses are better if you have the horses to do it. It allows you to keep your linebackers focused on the box. It allows you to send more pressure with your safeties. It seems so logical for us to move to a man defense. That being said, logical is not something our coaches in the past seem to understand.

44 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Seattles LOB ran it.

It doesn’t matter what other teams run it. Those teams have players who’s skill sets work in that scheme. We don’t. 

In the 6.22 MAQB, we mentioned Philly's cap space. Here are teams w/the most, as of this AM.

1) Browns $37.34M
2) Redskins $36.54M
3) Lions $29.31M
4) Eagles $24.62M
5) Bengals $24.24M
6) Jets $24.17M
7) Colts $22.17M
8) Texans $20.66M
9) Chargers $20.38M
10) Dolphins $20.37M

14 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Seattles LOB ran it.

If you're going to run zone coverage effectively, since the new rules have essentially killed Cover 2/Tampa 2 due to illegal contact emphasis, you need to have one safety who is a legitimate enforcer in the middle and can cap TEs, long and physical CB who are VERY sure tacklers on underneath routes, conceding the 0-5 yard passes outside of the numbers, a rangy ball hawk type at FS, and a MLB/Nickel LB that can be an A-C gap force in the running game AND cover TE's in the underneath.

Seattle had Kam and Earl to go with an All Pro MLB in Wagner.

Buffalo and Chicago have elite CB/FS play to go with an elite LB corps.

We had one decent ball hawk in Randall, 1 legitimate good tackling CB in Ward, who missed extended time, and 2 AWFUL tackling CB in Greedy/Mitchel, with a revolving awful door at the box safety spot. Schobert, while solid in coverage and in the B-C gaps, struggles in the A gap/ISO game.

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me...and I know that there are a LOT of question Marks at LB and Safety, but I for one am kinda interested in seeing what we got going with the potential at these positions. A couple of kids we have, that I liked in college, Willie Harvey from Iowa St., was a tough lil MLB there, I like to see what he develops into...Sione Takitaki was an interesting edge player at BYU, violent kid who was a good tackler, played both DE and LB while there, so there is some versatility.

And once again going out on the Island alone....as far as Safety is concerned, Delpit was my favorite S in the draft, but I am also a fan of seeing what we have in Sheldrick Redwine, who didnt look lost at the end of last season, and this is going into his 2nd year, he was supremely athletically talented coming out (4.45 40yd, and 39.5 inch vertical) with some ability to play some slot CB, he had a nice stat line his Sr. year at Miami....I also want to see what we have in JT Hassle, after giving him a year on the Practice Squad to transition to SS...he's damn sure athletic enough to play it....( PRO DAY NUMBERS – 5111, 200 pounds, 42 inch vertical, 10’1 Broad Jump, 4.38 forty yard dash, 4.26 Short Shuttle, 6.84 3 Cone, and 23 reps of 225 on the bench)...and a ridiculous stat line is SR. year....with a year to be tutored by Sadeejo...some of these young kids could develop.....and an outside shot, is looking at A.J. Green the UDFA we paid a record contract to coming out of  OKst., he could transition to safety potentially if he dosent work out at CB....

Just now, zelbell said:

What in the world is Clowney waiting for at this point?

an injury so he can get more money. Now it seems like he wants to miss the training camp stuff. If he holds out that long, it he prolly just means he is resigning with Seattle