Browns General Discussion

candyman93

2 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

unless Berry pulls something magic out of his A-hole, I doubt that our defensive roster gets better. 

there will likely be a marginal improvement at DT but worse at end. 

We will be 10x better next year. We will likely have 2 new starting DTs, we will have JOK playing in the right position hopefully, and a downgrade at DE. Everything else will be improved due to scheme and upgrading the A & B gaps. We literally can’t be worse at DT than we were this yr. 

• Like 2

I think Flores is a douchey guy to players and colleagues and overrated as a coach.

The bull**** with singling out Kenny Stills because he was socially conscious. The nonsense lawsuit out of spite because you couldn't get on board with your GM and owner. Trading away a talent like Minkah because he's not fitting your scheme. Firing a vet coach you just hired in training camp because you've got a "gut feeling." The terrible way he handled Fitzpatrick and Tua in 2020.

Albert Wilson's commented that the atmosphere in Miami under Flores was awful with constant finger pointing.

Maybe his time under Tomlin has changed him but I doubt it.

29 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

I think Flores is a douchey guy to players and colleagues and overrated as a coach.

The bull**** with singling out Kenny Stills because he was socially conscious. The nonsense lawsuit out of spite because you couldn't get on board with your GM and owner. Trading away a talent like Minkah because he's not fitting your scheme. Firing a vet coach you just hired in training camp because you've got a "gut feeling." The terrible way he handled Fitzpatrick and Tua in 2020.

Albert Wilson's commented that the atmosphere in Miami under Flores was awful with constant finger pointing.

A lot of good points. But idk if he’s the one that called the Minkah trade. 

Im warming up to Schwartz 

Super Bowl winning DC and he was here previously. 

And we’d deff be keeping the 43

Edited by brownie man

B

1 hour ago, Kiwibrown said:

Outside of Myles our pass rush is awful. If he gets hurt or has a poor turn of form we are screwed. 

On defense our biggest priority is securing another pass rusher, then DT, then FS.

Nah it’s DT first

as we saw from the Falcons and Chargers games it won’t matter about pass rushing if you can’t stop the run.

Gotta get a d tackle.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BrownLeader said:

I don’t know how to argue this as I’ve never met the guy and don’t know how others rate him.  I think he’s a good DC.  He does come across as a hardass, but anyone who’s watched this defense over the last couple seasons would be lying if they said that type of attitude couldn’t be used on the defensive side of the ball right now.

The bull**** with singling out Kenny Stills because he was socially conscious.

https://www.nfl.com/news/dolphins-coach-brian-flores-i-support-kenny-stills-0ap3000001043726

Based on this article and his quotes he wasn’t objecting to really anything other than perhaps wishing to keep Stills’ thoughts on the owner in house which I get.  

As it relates to the Browns I personally wish the players would stfu a bit to the media and do their job. The fact that players could just come out and tell the world their boss doesn’t know how to do their job and there were zero repercussions is as big of an indictment of Woods as anything.

The nonsense lawsuit out of spite because you couldn't get on board with your GM and owner.

The suit is in large part due to teams trying to skirt the Rooney rule and he’s had multiple other minority coaches join him in the suit.

If you don’t see the potential for validity in this I suppose we can agree to disagree.

Trading away a talent like Minkah because he's not fitting your scheme.

https://dolphinnation.com/2020/08/11/minkah-fitzpatrick-rips-brian-flores-miami-dolphins-tell-all-interview/

He walked away from drills to do his own thing because they didn’t fit what he believed his skill set to be.  Then asked to be traded.  In the words of his then future coach and Myles Garret a week ago, “we want volunteers, not hostages”.

They seem cool now and Minkah has plenty of good things to say about him.  Also went out and played arguably the best football of his career with him on staff this year.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2022/6/20/23174953/minkah-fitzpatrick-excited-to-have-brian-flores-on-the-steelers-staff-miami-nfl-news-update

Firing a vet coach you just hired in training camp because you've got a "gut feeling."

I mean, there may be more to it than that.  Just because he said that to the media doesn’t mean that’s the whole story. He may have just decided to keep it in house and give a nonspecific answer. For all we know he may have been doing the coach a favor by saying nothing.

The terrible way he handled Fitzpatrick

See above.

and Tua in 2020.

Irrelevant here as he’s just gonna be a DC.  I would get the concern more if he was gonna sit in the big seat, but not as a coordinator.

I’m not familiar with this.  Got a link?  Don’t doubt you, just would like to see what he’s referring to in particular.

Idk.  I’d imagine getting canned, not getting interviews and and working under one of the best coaches in the last 20 years doesn’t change you or add or your expertise there’s something wrong.

I don’t expect him to be a different person, but I’d imagine he’s learned a good bit from both his time in Miami as well as Pittsburgh.

4 hours ago, brownie man said:

B

Nah it’s DT first

as we saw from the Falcons and Chargers games it won’t matter about pass rushing if you can’t stop the run.

Gotta get a d tackle.  

We also didn’t have Myles or Jadeveon for the Atlanta game fwiw.

What this defense needs as much as anything imo are some dudes in the 6’2-6’4/240-250 pound range who have the ability to rush on passing downs and play at the second level on run downs. Guys with some size who can actually hold up at the POA.  We have like none of these dudes as is. Takitaki I guess.

• Like 1

Just coach the defense. He’s not the HC here anyhow. And idgaf if players like getting singled out or not or how he handled some of those things. He’d be DC here and wouldn’t have the pull to make some of those calls regardless. Stay on those guys and coach the defense, which he can do. Jmo.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

We also didn’t have Myles or Jadeveon for the Atlanta game fwiw.

What this defense needs as much as anything imo are some dudes in the 6’2-6’4/240-250 pound range who have the ability to rush on passing downs and play at the second level on run downs. Guys with some size who can actually hold up at the POA.  We have like none of these dudes as is. Takitaki I guess.

I love this idea, guys like Ogbonnia Okoronkwo, Kaden Ellis, Anthony Nelson, Lorenzo Carter wouldn't break the bank

• Like 1

Flores blitz’s a lot. I think good individual pass rushers matter a little less in his system than it would in Schwartz who only rushes 4 and who’s defense relies almost entirely on that DL. With Flores I think you can get by with a committee of pass rushers. Obviously we still need to upgrade the front 7 but I’m not sure we need top end elite talent like we would under Schwartz. With Flores we need a strong secondary. Which I think talent wise we have. 

• Like 3