Browns General Discussion

candyman93

25 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

They try to give different looks but I think they ran a variation of the match up zone which requires corners and safetys to be on the same page. Match up zone is very rule heavy so if one isn't on the same page, 6 happens.

I’m not anti zone by any means and obviously you’re gonna play it plenty just to keep opposing offenses off balance, but it was incredibly unnecessary to play as much as we did with the roster we had.

Lean into the CB talent and help the front 7 by spicing thing up.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I’m not anti zone by any means and obviously you’re gonna play it plenty just to keep opposing offenses off balance, but it was incredibly unnecessary to play as much as we did with the roster we had.

I know the end result is the same, but I would rather blitz, and have my corner get burned by a WR, while playing tight coverage, than playing a soft zone, where my safety misses his assignment, and dudes are running wide open.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

True, I think Woods was trying to be way too complicated, also our lack of pass rush had a lot to do with our failures with our defensive backfield 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

I know the end result is the same, but I would rather blitz, and have my corner get burned by a WR, while playing tight coverage, than playing a soft zone, where my safety misses his assignment, and dudes are running wide open.

Even with zone it can be fine, just keep it simple enough that breakdowns don’t happen.

It just seemed as though Woods was certain his scheme was brilliant, and it may have been idk, but it wasn’t working.  Either figure out how to teach your scheme so it’s understood or meet the players halfway with what they do well.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

True, I think Woods was trying to be way too complicated,

Agreed.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

also our lack of pass rush had a lot to do with our failures with our defensive backfield 

We had no pass rush plan for a large part of the season.  “Go get ‘em Myles” isn’t a plan.

For a guy who seemed to love complexity on the back end his pass rush plan with his DL was about as basic as it gets a majority of the time.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

For a guy who seemed to love complexity on the back end his pass rush plan with his DL was about as basic as it gets a majority of the time.

Please don't get me started on that, there were so many times where the OT gave him the inside and he still takes that wide *** outside rush. I don't know if this what he is instructed to do or what but you already know what's coming and he still gets there. Put someone in the A gap to occupy the guard, line Myles up in a wide 9, take an outside jab and come inside, that might be the easiest sack he would ever get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Please don't get me started on that, there were so many times where the OT gave him the inside and he still takes that wide *** outside rush. I don't know if this what he is instructed to do or what but you already know what's coming and he still gets there. Put someone in the A gap to occupy the guard, line Myles up in a wide 9, take an outside jab and come inside, that might be the easiest sack he would ever get.

Or at least do it occasionally and make the possibility of it something the OC, tackle, back, whoever has to consider.

Maybe on occasion use some stunts that have Myles crashing inside and a DT looping outside.

Maybe drop Myles into zone and roll the linebackers and bring an overloaded pressure from the opposite side.

Maybe play Myles inside and try to get him 1:1 with a guard.

Christ it felt like it took until November just for he and Clowney to rush from both sides.

There’s just almost a limitless amount of ways to use a guy with his ability to get pressure not just for him, but the defense as a whole.

But nah, let’s just keep having him rush from the right side from a wide 9 alignment and alway try to bend the edge with a chip from a back.

4 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I’m sure it was because he had to set the edge, given we had 2 LBs in the game 99% of the time. 

On 1/13/2023 at 11:13 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

yeah but that means you are fully trusting the safeties or the LBs to have proper contain and alley responsibilities with Myles going in side. I am sure as hell not trusting any of our safeties or LBs to go anything right when it comes to run defense 

Going from last place to #1 seed in the conference would be a huge task to undertake, but it has been done before by the following teams:

1981 Bengals
1988 Bengals
1999 Rams (won Super Bowl)
2009 Saints (won Super Bowl)
2016 Cowboys
2017 Eagles (won Super Bowl)

We'd be the first AFC team to do it in 35 years, and third in our division.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:59 AM, LETSGOBROWNIES said:
On 1/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

True, I think Woods was trying to be way too complicated,

Agreed.

On 1/13/2023 at 10:53 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

also our lack of pass rush had a lot to do with our failures with our defensive backfield 

We had no pass rush plan for a large part of the season.  “Go get ‘em Myles” isn’t a plan.

If you maintain gap integrity, I’m willing to live with basic pass rush philosophies because you’re going to be sound against the run. This team was neither. 

• Like 1

On 1/14/2023 at 4:53 AM, MSURacerDT55 said:

True, I think Woods was trying to be way too complicated, also our lack of pass rush had a lot to do with our failures with our defensive backfield 

I think he was to complicated with what he wanted from the secondary and to vanilla with the front 7.

Secondary got better once they simplified things which lead to no more break downs in communication and therefore no more big coverage breakdowns 

• Like 1

Flores interviewing with Arizona for the HC job. It'd be a great hire for them, but obviously I hope it doesn't happen since I'd love him as DC. Gut feeling is he's our top choice, but we may not want to wait for him if he does indeed have so many suitors like he supposedly has. Think we want to make a hire relatively quickly.

Wonder if we'll end up interviewing Jim Leonhard or Mike Zimmer. Think either would be a great hire, but haven't heard anything about us being interested in them. Leonhard seems like an up-and-comer. Zimmer has obvious ties to Stefanski and it's doubtful that he'll get another head coaching gig, so he could potentially be our coordinator for awhile.