Browns General Discussion

candyman93

13 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If we trade him before June 1 We'd save about 7 million this year and 16 million next year. After June 1 we'd save 11 this year and 12 next.

Not worth it imo just because he is Nick Chubb.

We could also save some money by extending him. I'd be fine with gambling that he plays well into his early 30s. Beats watching him run the ball for another team, that would be upsetting.

If we need money, find it elsewhere.  No need to even explain this tbh. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, hornbybrown said:

Yeah count me in the camp for not trading him for what we likely get in return.

but on that note what are the cap implications of trading Chubb? 

I agree about not trading him for the right compensation. But what would be the right compensation? I think a 1st is fair. Carolina got a 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th for Mccaffrey. Chubb is better and less injury prone so I think we can get a 1st and more. 

13 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Most replaceable position in sports? How about a right handed relief pitcher? No no, Nick Chubb is more easily replaced, meaning his production. He is tied for 3rd all time with 3 seasons of 5 yards per carry and 200 rush attempts and he was 8 carries away in 2018 and 10 carries away in 2020 from from having 5 seasons that met that criteria which would tie him with Barry Sanders and Jim Brown all time.

Great running backs aren't easily replaced. Average ones are.

I understand but what has that gotten us? One playoff appearance in a weird Covid year. He’s elite no doubt but not unreplacable. Maybe his production is but the overall impact on the team isn’t. We’re going to become a pass heavy team soon imo. I’d rather trade him before he ages out of getting a prime pick. 

3 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I understand but what has that gotten us? One playoff appearance in a weird Covid year. He’s elite no doubt but not unreplacable. Maybe his production is but the overall impact on the team isn’t. We’re going to become a pass heavy team soon imo. I’d rather trade him before he ages out of getting a prime pick. 

What has Garrett gotten us? Bitonio? Ward? Teller? Watson? Kosar? Newsome? Joe Thomas? Etc... We should/should have traded all of them in their prime so we could draft other guys that also would get us nothing.

The logic just doesn't hold up. Maybe Chubb is SB MVP next year. Maybe we don't win a championship in the next 25 years no matter what path we take and this is all pointless.

All you can really do is field the best team possible and if you have a Chubb vs. don't have a Chubb that is a win. If we can invest what we did in a QB that never came close to winning anything I don't know why we should even consider getting rid of a better player at a less, but still valuable position. Chubb has won us a lot of games and kept us in a lot of games that other players eventually lost for us.

We would be worse without Chubb almost guaranteed. The average #1 overall pick plays in 69 NFL games or just a game more than 4 seasons worth of games. You aren't guaranteed anything when you trade him for a pick. I understand how the game is played but you're losing real value and hoping. I'd rather trade Ward and even Garrett, you'd get more and you're paying them more.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

What has Garrett gotten us? Bitonio? Ward? Teller? Watson? Kosar? Newsome? Joe Thomas? Etc... We should/should have traded all of them in their prime so we could draft other guys that also would get us nothing.

The logic just doesn't hold up. Maybe Chubb is SB MVP next year. Maybe we don't win a championship in the next 25 years no matter what path we take and this is all pointless.

All you can really do is field the best team possible and if you have a Chubb vs. don't have a Chubb that is a win. If we can invest what we did in a QB that never came close to winning anything I don't know why we should even consider getting rid of a better player at a less, but still valuable position. Chubb has won us a lot of games and kept us in a lot of games that other players eventually lost for us.

We would be worse without Chubb almost guaranteed. The average #1 overall pick plays in 69 NFL games or just a game more than 4 seasons worth of games. You aren't guaranteed anything when you trade him for a pick. I understand how the game is played but you're losing real value and hoping. I'd rather trade Ward and even Garrett, you'd get more and you're paying them more.

Those guys aren’t 27 at an age where 99% of the players at that position are done at 30. That’s my point. 3 more years of hopefully high level play. Is that worth not taking a 1st? I get there’s a risk there. But we’ve seen so many times teams can find good RBs in late rounds. So it’s not impossible to fill that spot like it would be to find an elite pass rusher or elite cover guy. 

5 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

If we trade him before June 1 We'd save about 7 million this year and 16 million next year. After June 1 we'd save 11 this year and 12 next.

Not worth it imo just because he is Nick Chubb.

We could also save some money by extending him. I'd be fine with gambling that he plays well into his early 30s. Beats watching him run the ball for another team, that would be upsetting.

I agree with your thoughts on him playing at a high level into his early 30’s. He really looks after himself

2 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Those guys aren’t 27 at an age where 99% of the players at that position are done at 30. That’s my point. 3 more years of hopefully high level play. Is that worth not taking a 1st? I get there’s a risk there. But we’ve seen so many times teams can find good RBs in late rounds. So it’s not impossible to fill that spot like it would be to find an elite pass rusher or elite cover guy. 

Chubb has been great every year. Garrett has been great every year. Why is one considered a difference maker and the other not? Garrett isn't the reason we were successful in 2020, the defense stunk. 21st in points against. The offense is why we won and our best player on offense was Chubb. Without Chubb we wouldn't have made the playoffs. Without Garrett our defense would have still been bad.

Our best defense statistically with Garrett was 2021 (13th in points) and it didn't matter.

Honestly, Mayfield was the reason 2020 happened and Watson will need to be the reason if we make any kind of run going forward. If he doesn't play really well we likely aren't doing anything with Chubb or Garrett or without Chubb or Garrett. It's a passing league and while Garrett helps stop the opposing passing game it's not a high enough percentage of the time to be that much of a factor. In a game where our offense (passing game and running game) plays well his impact is more pronounced for every play he makes but his game relies on their game otherwise it's just stat building.

There are a lot of factors that go into success. OLine, QB, running game, receivers, defense, play calling. If all things go well besides Garrett being in the game it won't be a big impact. Once multiple things start going bad then you get what we've seen for most of our lives with this team. Right now, or at least the last 5 years, Chubb is more important to team success than Garrett. His value still isn't as high as Garrett's on the market but he is probably more important to our team's success. We may plan on a different offense where he isn't as important but odds are that offense will suck.

On 2/25/2023 at 1:53 PM, Thomas5737 said:

Your proposal 

Trade chubb

For Watson 

Newsome 

Or Willis.

I would not even trade him for all 3