Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 minute ago, mrpazzo said:

The Browns finally get a quality qb (we hope), and you don't believe they will keep quality receivers around him? 🤔 That dog don't hunt.  I don't think Cooper was a one or two year stopgap solution.  He is, by far, the best receiver on the team.  Are the Bengals are going to get rid of Ja'marr Chase cause they have to pay Burrow? I expect the Bengals to find a way to keep Higgins too.  We have enough brainiacs in the front office to manipulate the cap to keep the few decent receiving threats we have (Cooper, Njoku and maybe DPJ) around our franchise qb.  You can fault this front office for talent acquisition, but contract and cap management hasn't been a question.  I believe they probably have a plan for the cap with a minimum 3 year window.  That's not rocket science, that is how I believe most NFL front offices operate in the cap management era.  Will they try to find younger cheaper options over time? Yes, but they are not letting go of the proven weapons they have unless they have viable options to replace them.  This team bet the farm on Watson, they will do everything possible to help him succeed.  Gotta give him guys to throw the ball to.😉

I would love to have a roster filled with stud receivers. But how are we going to make this happen? We have too much $$$ tied up in Garrett, Chubb, Ward, and Watson. Plus the OL is infinitely more important than our WR group, so money is going to go there.

"Are the Bengals are going to get rid of Ja'marr Chase cause they have to pay Burrow?"

---uhh no. But Deshaun Watson is not Joe Burrow. And Amari Cooper is not Ja'Marr Chase. Amari Cooper will be over 30 in 2024. Chase is a top 5 WR who isn't even 25 yet. Big difference. And the Bengals are going to have to part ways with Tee Higgins, who is probably a comparable player to Amari, to make room for Burrow's contract.

Watson’s cap number is $54M the next 4 years, each season. Exceeds each cap number up until then by $15M per season. I think a lot of unfortunate ripples will come of the move. Think what you will about the guy as a person, etc, that all out of the way. He’d have to be a Mahomes/Allen level performer to justify the move on the field. Hope I’m wrong but I think a lot of us will be anxious for the 2027 season to come around at some point or another. 

• Like 1

And I’m in agreement - I’ve threatened to leave the Browns many times before but if they move on from Chubb in the next couple years because of Deshauns contract, when he’s at this level as a performer, I’m checked out. Guy that does things the right way and puts his nose down and works. Guys like him deserve to displayed in more meaningful situations however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I can say with confidence, if we trade Nick Chubb, I'll see you fellas a few years from now and I'll most likely be done with the NFL indefinitely. 

Chubb is untradable from multiple perspectives. The city of Cleveland might not survive the trade.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

Chubb is untradable from multiple perspectives. The city of Cleveland might not survive the trade.

My heart would agree. But if we're looking at this with zero emotional attachment, we probably should move on from Chubb after this upcoming season. I think we're going to move to being a wide open spread team to help Deshaun. These multiple TE's and power runningbacks aren't going to be great fits in that kind of system. Chubb is great in any system, but I'm willing to bet we would rather save $$$ on RB when you could plug any scatback into the starting role and theoretically get some semblance of production.

That said, I would be devastated if Chubb weren't a lifetime Brown & I don't believe in Watson anyways...so catering to him would be a no-no for me, dawg.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

We could have around 60M in cap space if we restructure properly. He’d be worth 10 of that. 

Not realistically. At best you can push the cart a year further down the road but eventually you have to destroy the roster if you keep doing the Saints thing.

Why would you restructure Watson a year after signing him, you'd look like idiots who weren't able to plan ahead even one year. I'd say we could maybe save (temporarily, while causing more issues later) 15-20 million this year. Problem is 2024 is a bigger issue than 2023 so pushing everything a year back actually makes things worse.

As far as what are the Bengals going to do... They are 35 million under the cap this year and 140 million under in 2024. They will be able to do whatever they want. Their current 2024 salary cap number is 115 million or 20 million less than  our top 4 players in 2024. Our top 9 are at 213 million or about 80% of the projected cap. We're also going to be paying Clowney, Walker and Johnson's voided year hits. Bengals will be fine, we'll be doing gymnastics.

22 hours ago, NateDawg said:

And I’m in agreement - I’ve threatened to leave the Browns many times before but if they move on from Chubb in the next couple years because of Deshauns contract, when he’s at this level as a performer, I’m checked out. Guy that does things the right way and puts his nose down and works. Guys like him deserve to displayed in more meaningful situations however.

It is coming to fruition not watching 

Combine .

Posting over on the Denver sight.

1 hour ago, Dawgpoun8017 said:

Maybe im being pessimistic, I dont see what the allure to come here would be for Wagner, other than money

Yeah he's not coming here. I think we're closer to being championship contenders than most people will give us credit for, but Wagner and the rest of these FA's won't believe that.

I also don't want to pay a linebacker that kind of cash. I would have loved to build other positions, but we can't thanks to the Watson contract. We're pretty much paralyzed by that and any $$$ we can scrounge together needs to go directly into the DL.