Browns General Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Bruh, that was literally my adjustment this season, some things aren't as complicated as people make it out to be. 

For the 50/5-2 bashers (my start was as a 50 front defensive guy here LOL so that's my love language), it's literally just a walked up 3-4 with the option of going an nose 1 tech or a 0 with either another 3/1 or a double eagle (my personal favorite assuming your walked up dudes set a hard edge like they're supposed to) with the potential to maintain gap integrity or penetrate via a slant.

IT IS SUPER SIMPLE...plus those walked up EDGE guys can even go out and play on a slot/TE dude and match that ability.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

For the 50/5-2 bashers (my start was as a 50 front defensive guy here LOL so that's my love language), it's literally just a walked up 3-4 with the option of going an nose 1 tech or a 0 with either another 3/1 or a double eagle (my personal favorite assuming your walked up dudes set a hard edge like they're supposed to) with the potential to maintain gap integrity or penetrate via a slant.

IT IS SUPER SIMPLE...plus those walked up EDGE guys can even go out and play on a slot/TE dude and match that ability.

In that Atlanta game you’d have just played DE’s outside with 3 DTs. 

Hard set edge, lots of size up front, it’s very hard to run on. 

Pair that with 2 linebackers and bring that SS into the box and they should be forced to pass. 

I’ll take my chances with Mariota making pressured throws to dudes coveted by Newsome, Ward, JOK, etc 

2 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yeah, we either walked the mike down to nose or brought in a big (which we had plenty of)  The kids loved it and it covered every gap. We actually had a guy last year who was like 255/260 who was our starting Mike and he loved going down to nose and got busy down there.

How did you align your edge guys vs the slot/TE?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Pair that with 2 linebackers and bring that SS into the box and they should be forced to pass. 

I’ll take my chances with Mariota making pressured throws to dudes coveted by Newsome, Ward, JOK, etc 

This is why as much as I wanted to fight for Woods I couldn't, you kinda had all you needed to do this and either he was too stubborn to or scared to take a chance. People will say what they want about Delpit but I am as confident as anyone on the team having him down in the box and tasked with making tackles and minimal coverage responsibilities 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Yep, and if they go with a 3 WR personnel, you bring in JOK for one of those 3 DT and move him to an inside APEX and play a match/switch or off man look or even rotate JJ3 back into the box over top as support for that slot player...basically you move your EDGE guy out to the slot to set it from there and have that extra alley fitter. Just stupid stuff that I expected my JV guys to do...that's a Week 2 install for HS kids, literally.

Yep. And you have 2 plug backers in the A/B gap with those dudes who set that edge, one of which will be completely unblocked if they have a TE, both of which will be unblocked if they don't.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

ATL had garbage receivers too. You don't even have to play Cover 0 and blitz. You play man, man under/robber, or even stick to man free with a 2 high look to prevent deep passes with Ward and Newsome denying the outside guys and you basically double the slot...just simple stuff that you're likely denying by alignment presnap.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

This is why as much as I wanted to fight for Woods I couldn't, you kinda had all you needed to do this and either he was too stubborn to or scared to take a chance. People will say what they want about Delpit but I am as confident as anyone on the team having him down in the box and tasked with making tackles and minimal coverage responsibilities 

Yeah all he had to do was make some middle school level adjustments.

And Delpit in the box is fine, as is JJIII. If they start dicing up the secondary you adjust again, but you can’t let them have two long scoring drives for touchdowns with like one total pass attempt between them.  That’s a ******* firable offense on its own imo. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, we either walked the mike down to nose or brought in a big (which we had plenty of)  The kids loved it and it covered every gap. We actually had a guy last year who was like 255/260 who was our starting Mike and he loved going down to nose and got busy down there.]

Typically, that was purely personnel based. We had an all conference LB who never move from inside backer, but we had another "honorable mention" kid who could bump down to nose or else play beside him with a DT on and "skinny guy off" if we wanted to match a bigger body.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

How did you align your edge guys vs the slot/TE?

If that was a TE, then he'd play a JAM/7 Tech with the 3 beside him, still playing as a HAND ON EDGE setter, 1 opposite if we were playing a "Falcon Front" for a slant, or else we'd play Double Eagle with 2 3 techs since it was easier for our guys to adjust to/not having to worry about motion, accounting for the B gap. We kept our NOSE in a true 0, or else we'd heavy shade him to that side occupying the A gap.

We then bumped our SAM LB one over, then becoming the plug fitter for the open crease C gap, and our box safety was just to that side as a run through fitter.

So, in my perfect world, the easiest solution is to have JJ3 or Delpit as that "strong safety" unblocked box fitter, as I like both of them as unblocked tacklers in that 7-8 yard radius.

For a slot, we'd actually go "fat guy off" and bring in a 3rd LB, with you "losing" that 5th guy on the LOS, going out to match the slot to the trips side.

Believe it or not, we'd still play a 0, then we'd have a 3 and a 5 to the field with a DL on the FIB side to the boundary and the "slow LB" to that boundary side as a heavy scraper. You're still gap accounted for up front with the extra help to the field/numbers side, but you do lose that "edge" guy to the boundary side, but hypothetically a scraping LB with a FS over the top is going to help...and even occasionally we'd go Cover 2 match to that single WR boundary side for the EDGE support with the FS over top playing "man free".

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yep, and if they go with a 3 WR personnel, you bring in JOK for one of those 3 DT and move him to an inside APEX and play a match/switch or off man look or even rotate JJ3 back into the box over top as support for that slot player...basically you move your EDGE guy out to the slot to set it from there and have that extra alley fitter. Just stupid stuff that I expected my JV guys to do...that's a Week 2 install for HS kids, literally.

I mean, I wasn’t joking or being hyperbolic about when I said middle school.  We literally ran a 50 from peewee though high school. 

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Yep. And you have 2 plug backers in the A/B gap with those dudes who set that edge, one of which will be completely unblocked if they have a TE, both of which will be unblocked if they don't.

Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

ATL had garbage receivers too. You don't even have to play Cover 0 and blitz. You play man, man under/robber, or even stick to man free with a 2 high look to prevent deep passes with Ward and Newsome denying the outside guys and you basically double the slot...just simple stuff that you're likely denying by alignment presnap.

In the context of those drives I’m playing single high with press out wide.  Man on the TE/slot.  Bring 5 lineman and let one of the backers play a soft zone in the middle/spy mariota. 

MM is gonna have to make tough, contested throws one after another. 

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I wasn’t joking or being hyperbolic about when I said middle school.  We literally ran a 50 from peewee though high school. 

Bro I'm with you. We ran it and ran it well in HS when I was here too, even against spread teams. We literally got Braxton Miller benched doing it...2009 they beat us 9-5

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

In the context of those drives I’m playing single high with press out wide.  Man on the TE/slot.  Bring 5 lineman and let one of the backers play a soft zone in the middle/spy mariota. 

MM is gonna have to make tough, contested throws one after another. 

Especially with the dudes we drafted. We have a couple of man CB studs out there...it's not like we're talking about Daylon McCushion here.

• Like 1

Bro I'm with you. We ran it and ran it well in HS when I was here too, even against spread teams. We literally got Braxton Miller benched doing it...2009 they beat us 9-5

Unless you have a solid QB and good passing game it’s really tough to beat at the HS level. Not a great option in college and professionally for obvious reasons, but it’s not useless. 

Especially with the dudes we drafted. We have a couple of man CB studs out there...it's not like we're talking about Daylon McCushion here.

This was my issue. Garrett and Clowney were out.  You can’t just continue on with business as usual. Get creative and lean on your most talented players to win you games.  In this instance it was our corners who should have been given the toughest task.

• Like 1