Browns General Discussion

candyman93

If we got a good value in return, like day 2 type of value, I’m not opposed to shipping him off. We have two really good outside cornerbacks. Newsome is the 3rd best from what I’ve seen and is better on the outside then slot in terms of skill set. Reality is, after this next season, we would already be needing to make a decision as far as picking up his fifth year option. Find a guy suited for the nickel and I think we’re okay without him. Besides, let’s face it, we are taking CB round 3 anyways amirite @MWil23.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

If we got a good value in return, like day 2 type of value, I’m not opposed to shipping him off. We have two really good outside cornerbacks. Newsome is the 3rd best from what I’ve seen and is better on the outside then slot in terms of skill set. Reality is, after this next season, we would already be needing to make a decision as far as picking up his fifth year option. Find a guy suited for the nickel and I think we’re okay without him. Besides, let’s face it, we are taking CB round 3 anyways amirite @MWil23.

Not if we take one R2.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Any possibility we could bring in Devin White?

I know we have no assets and probably are broke by now 😂. But if we could make it work I’d love him next to JOK. 

Considering Berry barely acknowledges that LBs exist I’d say it’s unlikely. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In my dreams, we trade Newsome for a R2 pick, trade that pick for a later R2 pick this year and a R3 pick next year, and take 2 corners, one with each pick.

Bruce Harwood Happy Cry GIF

You're gonna be insufferable if we actually do take a CB with our first pick lol

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

In my dreams, we trade Newsome for a R2 pick, trade that pick for a later R2 pick this year and a R3 pick next year, and take 2 corners, one with each pick.

Bruce Harwood Happy Cry GIF

Sounds like dude was reporting nonsense.

Newsome refuted it, Shefter refuted it, other players lol’d at it, etc. Like I said yesterday dude isn’t reliable.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DawgX said:

You're gonna be insufferable if we actually do take a CB with our first pick lol

I mean, I’d be surprised if we don’t take a corner at some point.  I never disagreed with that take.  

My point of contention was his perceived fixation on them.  I don’t recall anyone accusing Dorsey of such a fixation and he drafted on at 4 and in R2 the next year.  

This year’s corner class is pretty damned good, corners get hurt, age quickly and get expensive in FA.  One or two injuries, even short term stuff, and you’ve got scrubs getting chewed up.  They should be taking a corner almost every year tbh.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Sounds like dude was reporting nonsense.

Newsome refuted it, Shefter refuted it, other players lol’d at it, etc. Like I said yesterday dude isn’t reliable.

Yeah I know, and that's exactly why I posted that, just purely for the humor factor. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, I’d be surprised if we don’t take a corner at some point.  I never disagreed with that take.  

My point of contention was his perceived fixation on them.  I don’t recall anyone accusing Dorsey of such a fixation and he drafted on at 4 and in R2 the next year.  

This year’s corner class is pretty damned good, corners get hurt, age quickly and get expensive in FA.  One or two injuries, even short term stuff, and you’ve got scrubs getting chewed up.  They should be taking a corner almost every year tbh.

A few things:

1. I actually low key despised Dorsey

2. Ward IMO was BPA at #4 and arguably our biggest need at the time. Greedy was allegedly the best guy left on the board as well.

3. Barry is a former CB and has an affinity for them. I liked the Newsome pick and Emerson has been a steal as well, albeit limited to the outside (who cares, if he can ball then he can ball). That said, I was a Travis Jones guy myself, so trading back when we could have snagged him last year was a bummer for me, as well as passing on guys like Nakobe Dean (so far that's the right move in all fairness) at LB, and he has shown that he doesn't really value drafting box linebackers in terms of higher/premium picks or free agents.

TL;DR

I don't agree with Barry on how he's constructed a defensive roster. I value building up the Front 7 first, focusing on DL and specifically MLB, then building from there. We love the "sexy" corners and safeties via free agency and the draft, which is fine, but I still maintain that if you stop the run and can get to the QB, that takes a lot off of your secondary and it's easier to build from there. JMHO