Browns General Discussion

candyman93

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I read reports that woods would switch up a call at the last second, which led to busted coverages.

Our HC knows a dude on the Browns staff. He said that Woods called two defenses every single snap & that is where the coverage busts came from. We had a call for if it was trips/10 personnel for example and then a separate call if it was doubles/11 personnel or something to that effect. With motions and checks, it made it really hard to know for certain what we were in.

Additionally, we never once jammed a slot receiver, which allowed speedy slot WR's to run directly at supremely slow John Johnson unimpeded. It was a recipe for disaster & it's the reason guys were constantly standing wide open waving at the QB in the 10-15 yard range. The #1 WR ran off our corner & then speed outs/curls from #1 ate people alive.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Our HC knows a dude on the Browns staff. He said that Woods called two defenses every single snap & that is where the coverage busts came from. We had a call for if it was trips/10 personnel for example and then a separate call if it was doubles/11 personnel or something to that effect. With motions and checks, it made it really hard to know for certain what we were in.

Additionally, we never once jammed a slot receiver, which allowed speedy slot WR's to run directly at supremely slow John Johnson unimpeded. It was a recipe for disaster & it's the reason guys were constantly standing wide open waving at the QB in the 10-15 yard range. The #1 WR ran off our corner & then speed outs/curls from #1 ate people alive.

My old HC was our DC, and even we had like a Day 3 of camp hot call. We would go from playing "red", a variation of match cover 3 to "red bump banjo" on motion to trips. 

Red was a 2x2 cover 3, and if we saw motion to a 3x1, our overhang on the #2 would keep his heels at 4 yards, literally bump the vertical from 2 (aligned to his inside), keep his eyes on 3, and if 3 went out, he was "his", with our CB between the hash and numbers, while #2 was passed off to the FS.

Literally freshmen in HS could run this coverage by our first scrimmage.

If we were aligned in trips presnap, the SAM/MIKE would bump out to the edge of the box and carry 3 vertically underneath with the FS over top.

It literally denied bubble from 2 or 3 and about any outbreaking route. Yes, 2 verts with a dig route from the outside 1 was a beater, as was a bubble stick, but still...we'd concede that on 1st and 2nd down regularly to get to 3rd down. It's truly unbelievable how overrated some of these NFL minds are.

Really glad Berry brought in competition on the d-line.

I understand you want cheap rookies, but sometimes those young guys get entitled because of their draft position and think they won’t be cut.

Guys like Hurst and Hill will force our DTs to actually compete.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, brownie man said:

I think we should bring Deion Jones back 

I actually really liked how he played last year considering the situation. I he and A Walk basically play the same position but I think for depth purposes bringing Jones back makes a lot of sense. 

Deion Jones was terrible last year. Idk if it was because of what our scheme was asking him to do, but he was dreadful. Like, probably our worst linebacker. No thanks to him.