Several Cowboys and Texans Players are COVID-19 Positive

HTTRDynasty

On 6/18/2020 at 4:31 PM, Shanedorf said:

There's really only 1 reason to play football this year - and that's money for the owners/networks.
But no amount of money can buy you a new set of lungs. (legally)

And the players.

If the season doesn't take place, presume there will be mass cuts and the salary cap in future years will be slashed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Its a matter of if, not when, for an entire team , if not multiple, to be quarantined if they attempt to play a normal nfl season (even without fans) 

Which begs the question; is it worth it to play not only football, but any of the big 4 sports in 2020? 

I know NBA/NHL have their bubble plans....but if even one person breaks quarantine, they could bring the virus into the bubble

Edited by 49ersfan

1 hour ago, RaidersAreOne said:

Why are NFL players gathering for workouts etc. when they are not due for camp until late July? This could all of been avoided if the players just stayed away from each other until they are required to re-convene for camp. And why are coaches attending these so called make shift workouts? Last time I checked the players are on vacation until late July. Normally players wanted nothing do with minicamps, voluntary & mandatory OTA's so why all of a sudden they can't stay away from each other?

4 hours ago, NFL Network said:

Why are NFL players gathering for workouts etc. when they are not due for camp until late July? This could all of been avoided if the players just stayed away from each other until they are required to re-convene for camp. And why are coaches attending these so called make shift workouts? Last time I checked the players are on vacation until late July. Normally players wanted nothing do with minicamps, voluntary & mandatory OTA's so why all of a sudden they can't stay away from each other?

nothing else to do?

But honestly players workout year round. 

1 hour ago, Matts4313 said:

nothing else to do?

But honestly players workout year round. 

Yea I know they workout via training & exercise year round or some what but how much football drills do they actually perform when they are on their own free time? I know Tom Brady likes to throw in the offseason but his last 2 offseasons he boycotted voluntary OTA's. From what I gather all of these players love to play some sort of pick up games and I think it's not just NFL as the NBA & NHL players do the same.

2 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

The big problem with the NFL as opposed to the other major sports is that there is A LOT more contact.

Each game has about 110 - 130 plays. And every one of those play starts with 9+ players, only a few inches away from one another -  breathing heavily in the face of their opponents.
It would be the exact opposite of what you'd recommend... in the middle of a respiratory disease pandemic.

And that's not even counting the all contact after the ball is snapped. To top it off, we'll add 8 refs blowing spittle all over the field every time they engage a whistle - hundreds of times / game x 256 games.

Its truly absurd.

FreezerBowlV%2Bpittsburgh%2Bsteelers%2Bn

And this shot below from the Ice Bowl helps to "visualize" what it would be like in the stands. Of course at these cold temps it isn't as big a deal, but those clouds of aerosols are happening at warm temps too and that's how the virus is spread, you just can't see it like you do in these pics.

ice-bowl-2-650.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Edited by Shanedorf
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

If Health and Safety was the only issue then everything would be shut until we have a vaccine. Everything. Not just shops but online shopping would be banned, anything where you could possibly come into contact with another person. My partner goes into an office now - if  health and safety was the only consideration then she wouldn't do that. Sports players shouldn't be shielded more than the general public.

In the UK , our football (your soccer) has started again. Initial tests had a lot of positives but since then numbers have fell and there are few new cases now. If someone is infected they are isolated.  Cases are falling.

If there is a second wave then there is a serious problem. Otherwise no reason why you can't play the season. Its a huge business and businesses have to try and survive. How many of these positives are serious cases ? Most of ours were asymptomatic.

Edited by mikemike778
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Deadpulse said:

The big problem with the NFL as opposed to the other major sports is that there is A LOT more contact. Even in the NHL they're full padding should be helpful. 

A player with no illness coming into contact with another player with no contact and there's no problem regardless of whether they are 1mm away. German Bundesliga test on the same day. All players get tested on the day and anyone positive can't play. Straight forward. You may need bigger rosters but so what.

If it turns out 30 players are infected per team then you rethink but other sports suggest this wont be the case. 

All of these arguments from people finding reasons why you couldn't restart Soccer went on . If you listened to some people then it was impossible but the German league has been going for weeks without problem. Yes there is less contact but they are all negative so it doesn't matter.

Players have a responsibility to look after themselves and avoid mixing. They are a paid a huge amount of money so should be taking minimal risks in terms of contacting outside of the sport. Normally they are paid their millions and have to ensure physical condition. In this situation part of this is being ultra careful in avoiding infection so they can do their job.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

If Health and Safety was the only issue then everything would be shut until we have a vaccine. Everything. Not just shops but online shopping would be banned, anything where you could possibly come into contact with another person. My partner goes into an office now - if  health and safety was the only consideration then she wouldn't do that. Sports players shouldn't be shielded more than the general public.

In the UK , our football (your soccer) has started again. Initial tests had a lot of positives but since then numbers have fell and there are few new cases now. If someone is infected they are isolated.  Cases are falling.

If there is a second wave then there is a serious problem. Otherwise no reason why you can't play the season. Its a huge business and businesses have to try and survive. How many of these positives are serious cases ? Most of ours were asymptomatic.

And if health and safety were the only priority we wouldn’t drive around in high speed one ton+ metal death machines 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sp6488 said:

And if health and safety were the only priority we wouldn’t drive around in high speed one ton+ metal death machines 

Every decision is a constant cost/benefit analysis based on what decision maker perceives to be costs and benefits. 

Leaders do it on a macro level for many, parents do it for kids and everyone mostly does it for themselves to extent they are allowed.

It isn’t easy decision to shut down multi-billion dollar industries that are woven through economy.   Easy for people on internet to say do this or that if it saves just one life or even many, but that is not reality.  Like above pointed out, if it was none of us would drive cars.  Things have to be weighed.

I find it interesting that several players are contracting virus before season starts.  It gives us some data points to watch.

So far nothing of note has happened to any of them.  We’ll continue to watch and reserve judgment for now (at least some of us will). 

Von Miller who is severely asthmatic reported some shortness of breath immediately after he recovered and just started working out again.  But said nothing about it since.

I personally think now that we had riots/protests and fall/winter is coming it may be that virus simply has to run its course In population and there is little people can do but stay home when sick and be courteous of others.  

I say this as an extremely asthmatic person myself and so is my son.  I don’t say it lightly.   If it was instant death sentence like HIV was in 80s/90s I would feel differently. 

I don’t think the risk involved is worth putting world into an economic depression.