The Runners Thread

UKTexans

2 hours ago, SkolMasterMN said:

Had no idea there was a running thread until today! This is awesome to see. Running is a huge part of my life as I've always done it. Currently am running competitively in college. Times are 16:35 for the 5k, 9:50 for the 2 mile and 4:35 for the mile. Absolutely love the sport! 

Bravo dude, those are some incredible times

• 1 month later...

Anyone in here a marathon runner? I did my second marathon in December and am starting to getting back into shape for another. Managed to cut 14 minutes from my first marathon and finished at 3 hours 54 minutes. I was pretty damn happy with it. 

I'm hoping to get down gradually towards 3.30. I've found an issue with cramping towards the end of both races. I'm unsure if this is a hydration issue or a lack of strength/endurance in the muscles. Any marathon runners in here that can give any advice or their own experience with this?

Both races I've annoyingly picked up a knee injury, a month before the first one and during the last one. Nothing serious (runners knee in the first and a strain in the second, I presume). I'm hoping to complete one with no kind of injury ha.

I adore running, started back in 2015 when I signed up for a marathon to try and tick it off my bucket list. Did a Half as part of my training but there was no way I could not see myself doing that twice in one go, so I've stuck to 13 miles ever since, I've completed 4 now, looking for a new one to do later this year. I do enter the London Marathon ballot every year but I'm now at 4 entries with no luck.

Currently, my issue is I just find it so hard to get out running in the evenings, I cycle to and from work so that saps my energy most of the time, so it's currently a weekend run when I get the time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, QuinneyluvsNFL said:

I adore running, started back in 2015 when I signed up for a marathon to try and tick it off my bucket list. Did a Half as part of my training but there was no way I could not see myself doing that twice in one go, so I've stuck to 13 miles ever since, I've completed 4 now, looking for a new one to do later this year. I do enter the London Marathon ballot every year but I'm now at 4 entries with no luck.

Currently, my issue is I just find it so hard to get out running in the evenings, I cycle to and from work so that saps my energy most of the time, so it's currently a weekend run when I get the time.

Yeah, I found the jump from half to full was pretty large. You can comfortable run a half on not too serious amounts of training. No way thats possible for a full. It requires pretty full time commitment. Lots and lots of hours. Its why I've needed an extended break after both the marathons I ran. Just felt annoyed by running once I'd finished it. Also, super hard to motivate myself to go out training once the climax of the race is done.

18 hours ago, QuinneyluvsNFL said:

Ran my first half last year and no desire to run further. In my 3rd week of training for my half in May and it's going really well. Weather is warming up and should be able to get outside again, assuming all my running trails aren't completely flooded. 

On 3/19/2019 at 4:22 AM, kempus said:

Anyone in here a marathon runner? I did my second marathon in December and am starting to getting back into shape for another. Managed to cut 14 minutes from my first marathon and finished at 3 hours 54 minutes. I was pretty damn happy with it. 

I'm hoping to get down gradually towards 3.30. I've found an issue with cramping towards the end of both races. I'm unsure if this is a hydration issue or a lack of strength/endurance in the muscles. Any marathon runners in here that can give any advice or their own experience with this?

Both races I've annoyingly picked up a knee injury, a month before the first one and during the last one. Nothing serious (runners knee in the first and a strain in the second, I presume). I'm hoping to complete one with no kind of injury ha.

For cramping, you may want to look at your salt intake. I lose a lot of salt during long runs and salt tabs are a good addition to nutrition. Something that has seemed to be helpful is keeping a salt tab in my mouth and letting it dissolve slowly and repeat as necessary. Keeps a slow intake of salt while you lose some to sweat.

I've run 2 marathons and am bouncing back from an ankle surgery and running a half in may. Finally getting my speed back from over a year ago.

7 hours ago, skywlker32 said:

For cramping, you may want to look at your salt intake. I lose a lot of salt during long runs and salt tabs are a good addition to nutrition. Something that has seemed to be helpful is keeping a salt tab in my mouth and letting it dissolve slowly and repeat as necessary. Keeps a slow intake of salt while you lose some to sweat.

I've run 2 marathons and am bouncing back from an ankle surgery and running a half in may. Finally getting my speed back from over a year ago.

Yeah, I considered that it may be due to losing too much salt. The last marathon I did, they provided salt tablets, but I didnt use them. I'll try them out next time. 

Good luck with the half. I'm looking at some options for my next marathon. Targeting June or July.

11 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

Having a run interrupted by a #2 is the worst feeling, I can deal with it on training days but I hope it never happens to me on race day. 

My half-marathon PR was on a race interrupted by a bathroom break. Guess it was just what I needed that day.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My half is in 1 month, goal is to beat last years time. Ran 11 miles this morning and felt easy, got it done right at my pace from last year. Realistically, I was a little better than since I had to stop and take a few phone calls in the middle of it. I stop my tracking app as quick as I can but there's still some lost time for sure. Given that I tend to run events faster than I train, and the event course is much flatter than my route today, I'm feeling really good about it. 

Has anyone ever experienced non-contact bruising on the inside-front part of their knee before?  After not having run very much in the past few years, for the past month or so, I've been running three or so times a week, doing between 2 and 3.5 miles on a treadmill at a 7.5 or 8 MPH pace, occasionally mixing in some interval training (10 MPH for a quarter mile or so, then back down).  The bruise isn't painful, so I'm not really worried about it, but it just seems weird that one has developed and that it isn't painful.

• 2 weeks later...

Just getting back into running lately. Yesterday I was pretty pleased with making it over 6.5 miles in an hour.

My gym just had a competition for who could run the most over the course of a month. The girl that won had 148.

• Like 1

Maybe this isn't the right spot to ask this, but does anyone have any recommendations on a good running/jogging shoe?  I have a ton of casual, dress and basketball shoes, but I'm mainly looking for a shoe that I can wear for like a hour a day solely to jog/walk in on concrete/asphalt.

I'm not a runner like you guys are, it's just for exercise during the summer because I'm not going to be able to play basketball for a few months.